Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Jan 2017 (Monday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural Looking?

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Larry Johnson.

Jan 09, 2017 11:05 |  #1

I dropped two graduated filters on this image in an attempt to highlight a specific part of it (and if you don't see it immediately, I failed), but I'm not so certain that it looks natural. I also wanted to silhouette the rider as much as possible. Seldom do I use this tool. Does it work. Please focus your critique on the use of the graduated filter and whether it looks natural. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
swbkrun
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 09, 2017 11:18 |  #2

You can see where you were trying to accomplish what I think you did ok at. The 2 things I would think (IMO) is to have been a bit more to your left, shooting straight from the side. I feel like this would have helped with the silhouette a bit more. Also can you clone out the black spots above the 1st horse (birds I am assuming)?

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 09, 2017 12:06 as a reply to  @ swbkrun's post |  #3

Thanks for your thoughts. Does the lighting look unnatural at all.

flickr (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2017 18:10 |  #4

You would do well to improve your PP

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,557 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2017 10:14 |  #5

Seems kind of odd that the sky on the right is so much darker than the left.

As an aside...are those rear facing boots on the second horse? As I recall this symbolizes a death.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

swbkrun
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 10, 2017 11:14 |  #6

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18238847 (external link)
Thanks for your thoughts. Does the lighting look unnatural at all.

It's doesn't look natural to me. I think that is because knowing it's a beach on a sunny day, yet it's an unnatural faded (a couple different shades) sky. It's hard to see that natural side of it.

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 10, 2017 17:17 |  #7

chauncey wrote in post #18239270 (external link)
You would do well to improve your PP

Awesome. Thanks buddy.

flickr (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 10, 2017 17:28 |  #8

saea501 wrote in post #18239867 (external link)
Seems kind of odd that the sky on the right is so much darker than the left.

As an aside...are those rear facing boots on the second horse? As I recall this symbolizes a death.

swbkrun wrote in post #18239934 (external link)
It's doesn't look natural to me. I think that is because knowing it's a beach on a sunny day, yet it's an unnatural faded (a couple different shades) sky. It's hard to see that natural side of it.

The boot is the subject. In the original photo it's silhouetted out with everything else on my side of the horses.
Snowed in, I was messing around with the gradutaed filter tool to try and bring the boot to light. Clearly, it didn't work.
The backwards boot is in honor of a deceased rider. This "Saltwater Cowboy" led the procession of others as they walked the wild ponies down Chincoteague Beach the day before their annual swim across the channel.

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,751 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 10, 2017 17:41 |  #9

It's doesn't look natural to me, either. We used to use something similar, but easier to work with for film. I haven't touched them since I started using Photoshop.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 10, 2017 17:42 |  #10

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18240338 (external link)
Awesome. Thanks buddy.

Nevermind chaunce, he apparently gets really bitter about life and makes curt, unhelpful comments ... but he seems like a good enough guy who just has a problem expressing himself.

Seems like the blue sky does not follow the horizon in a parallel fashion. The second thing you might consider is that the sun will make the sky appear brighter on the right side of the frame. I am not a Lightroom guy but in Photoshop, a circular gradient or massive soft brush from the origin of the sun would make it more realistic.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 10, 2017 17:45 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18240358 (external link)
Larry Johnson wrote in post #18240338 (external link)
Awesome. Thanks buddy.

Nevermind chaunce, he apparently gets really bitter about life and makes curt, unhelpful comments ... but he seems like a good enough guy who just has a problem expressing himself.

Seems like the blue sky does not follow the horizon in a parallel fashion. The second thing you might consider is that the sun will make the sky appear brighter on the right side of the frame. I am not a Lightroom guy but in Photoshop, a circular gradient or massive soft brush from the origin of the sun would make it more realistic.

There is a circular gradient in LR, to OP it is located next to the brush tool or the one after that, I forget.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 10, 2017 17:47 |  #12

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18240347 (external link)
The boot is the subject. In the original photo it's silhouetted out with everything else on my side of the horses.
Snowed in, I was messing around with the gradutaed filter tool to try and bring the boot to light. Clearly, it didn't work.
The backwards boot is in honor of a deceased rider. This "Saltwater Cowboy" led the procession of others as they walked the wild ponies down Chincoteague Beach the day before their annual swim across the channel.

So this is why the left looks so un natural.

You need to get away from the graduated filter and do a more selective enhancement of that area.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

2,173 views & 4 likes for this thread
Natural Looking?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.