Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 15 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 02:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

End of Flickr?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,606 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 02, 2017 13:38 |  #16

mannetti21 wrote in post #18230775 (external link)
. . . . . . and I'm considering cancelling my Flickr membership.

Is there any advantage to cancelling it and deleting your account, as opposed to just letting it sit there unused?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 02, 2017 14:40 |  #17

I have been trying 500px as well but to be honest it seems more of a dumping site than Flickr.

Most of the pics I see posted on the forums are still hosted on Flickr.

I am open to other options but doesn't seem like there are many.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by MrWho. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2017 17:28 |  #18

I've had a Flickr account for nearly a decade now, there's more traffic on my dA than Flickr, and Google Photos is just as easy to share. It honestly feels like Flickr is the MySpace of photo sites now. More traffic sees my stuff on dA, and Google Photos is a lot easier to upload to and share, so my Flickr has just fallen into disuse. Now, I should cancel my Yahoo account before someone logs in and downloads all my photos.

Edit: When deactivating/deleting, it takes approx. 90 days to have an account deleted. :-|

Gear

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by mannetti21.

Jan 03, 2017 11:47 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18230855 (external link)

Is there any advantage to cancelling it and deleting your account, as opposed to just letting it sit there unused?

I had/have a Flickr Pro account. When the cancelled that feature I had the option of keeping the Pro account for something like $20/yr. I actually think they reintroduced the Pro option again for $50/yr, so I'm not quite sure if they are still charging me $20 or if it went to $50. (Yet another example of constant changes with no clear direction)

Now I need to go check into what I'm being charged for the "Pro" experience.

Edit: I'm paying $24.95 instead of the $49 because I had Flickr Pro previously. So for $25 I'm basically getting ad-free browsing and stats on my photos (who cares?). I could have sworn I kept the Pro account because the big benefit was either unlimited storage or a much larger storage capacity. I see now that both free and paid Flickr accounts get 1TB. Pretty sure I'll cancel my membership before it renews on Jan 9th.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 03, 2017 11:56 |  #20

MrWho wrote in post #18231086 (external link)
I've had a Flickr account for nearly a decade now, there's more traffic on my dA than Flickr, and Google Photos is just as easy to share. It honestly feels like Flickr is the MySpace of photo sites now. More traffic sees my stuff on dA, and Google Photos is a lot easier to upload to and share, so my Flickr has just fallen into disuse. Now, I should cancel my Yahoo account before someone logs in and downloads all my photos.

Edit: When deactivating/deleting, it takes approx. 90 days to have an account deleted. :-|

I used to have a dA account about 10-15yrs ago before I was heavily involved in photography...even then, I felt like my images got more exposure and user interaction than they do on Flickr. I may have to look into signing up with them again.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,479 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 03, 2017 12:57 |  #21

Is Instagram a feasible alternative ? Can you post proper photos to it from a desktop, or is it just for mobile phone pics ?

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 03, 2017 13:13 |  #22

quickben wrote in post #18231904 (external link)
Is Instagram a feasible alternative ? Can you post proper photos to it from a desktop, or is it just for mobile phone pics ?

You can post photos from desktop...sort of. The easiest way I've found is to upload photos to Google Drive, then download to phone, and then post. I'm not particularly crazy about the Instagram environment. I rarely get any worthwhile comments. It's usually people "Liking" in hopes of a return "Like" or getting spammed with other user's advertisements.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,606 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 03, 2017 13:20 |  #23

mannetti21 wrote in post #18231837 (external link)
I used to have a dA account . . . . .

What is a dA account? I am unfamiliar with dA........even googled it, and came up with the word "da", as in "da da", child's prattle for "daddy". . This can't be what you are referring to!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 03, 2017 13:28 |  #24

mannetti21 wrote in post #18231926 (external link)
You can post photos from desktop...sort of. The easiest way I've found is to upload photos to Google Drive, then download to phone, and then post. I'm not particularly crazy about the Instagram environment. I rarely get any worthwhile comments. It's usually people "Liking" in hopes of a return "Like" or getting spammed with other user's advertisements.

I dabbled a little bit with Instagram, the restrictive interface, combined with the hashtags and lack thereof any description, educational comments and/or visible camera settings, I realized it wasn't for me. Not to mention having to type everything on a touchscreen keyboard isn't meant for someone who grew up in the 90s smashing the IBM Type M keyboards :-)

It seems to work great for celebrities or teens posting their sexy selfies but not for those who are looking for something serious.

Can anyone here justify viewing images on phone versus a large monitor where one can somewhat appreciate the scope of others' work?

Maybe I am getting too old, but limiting myself to a small screen to view a high megapixel image seems like a moot point. However, it has one billion plus users, and if your name gets out it can offer you exposure unmatched by Flickr or 500px etc.

Sad but true.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,648 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by CanonCameraFan.

Jan 03, 2017 18:10 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #25

I believe they are referring to www.DeviantArt.com (external link).

Not everything on there is deviant, as I first thought! it includes a very wide range of artistic expression. Photos, drawings, painting, crafts, poetry, etc. Various genres. It seems extremely popular. Claims to be the largest site of its kind. great place!

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2017 00:04 |  #26

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #18232222 (external link)

Not everything on there is deviant, as I first thought! it includes a very wide range of artistic expression. Photos, drawings, painting, crafts, poetry, etc. Various genres. It seems extremely popular. Claims to be the largest site of its kind. great place!

This. There are several pros on there, and it involves a bit of sifting through, but there is high quality work on there.

Gear

dropmyload
642 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 04, 2017 00:19 |  #27

I have Flickr pro, and its due for renewal. I use Flickr mainly as a backup for all my shots, and the mobile app on android lets me download and share to Instagram, whatsapp etc.

I also use Flickr to post pics here.

Is there an alternative? I upload full size on Flickr.

I rarely browse Flickr or even bother tagging photos.

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 04, 2017 14:08 |  #28

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #18232222 (external link)

MrWho wrote in post #18232539 (external link)
This. There are several pros on there, and it involves a bit of sifting through, but there is high quality work on there.

MrWho wrote in post #18232539 (external link)

There is definitely some junk there, but the aspect that I find most attractive is the ease of navigation through different genres. To be honest, I don't mind seeing work of varying quality. I'll admit that sometimes I get overwhelmed, and maybe even discouraged, looking through some of the galleries on POTN. It's nice to see a bit of sub-par work every so often to boost your confidence :-)

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

panicatnabisco
965 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 10, 2017 22:26 |  #29

I only use flickr to share photos in forums (which I rarely do now) using a throwaway yahoo email account

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2017 09:55 as a reply to  @ post 18230775 |  #30

As someone who has never used 500px, but is highly considering it, what are the pros?

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

8,791 views & 20 likes for this thread
End of Flickr?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.