Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 04:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Self Portrait Thread II - Post pics!

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,043 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 01, 2017 10:40 |  #8431

Very much, thank you. Yes it was a self portrait, probably my first in fact lol.

I admit it was a bit difficult trying to take a photo, then look, and try to figure out where I needed to move for best effect. Although Fuji has a nice app for being able to see a live view, and adjust camera settings, it was still a bit of a challenge for me to place myself, them move a bit to toss my phone out of view and get back into position before the timer went off. I much prefer being behind the camera. :) I'm one of those people that doesn't like a photo of myself regardless.

I made some slight adjustments.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN |

sponsored links
twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,391 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2017 10:56 |  #8432

PLLphotography wrote in post #18229741 (external link)
Very much, thank you. Yes it was a self portrait, probably my first in fact lol.

I admit it was a bit difficult trying to take a photo, then look, and try to figure out where I needed to move for best effect. Although Fuji has a nice app for being able to see a live view, and adjust camera settings, it was still a bit of a challenge for me to place myself, them move a bit to toss my phone out of view and get back into position before the timer went off. I much prefer being behind the camera. :) I'm one of those people that doesn't like a photo of myself regardless.

I made some slight adjustments.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by PLLphotography in
./showthread.php?p=182​29741&i=i98647025
forum: People

Self portraits are considerably harder than portraits. New version looks good. :)

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 55/1.2, 55/3.5- Voigtländer 50/2.8 - Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300 - Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 - | Canon 5DII | Sigma 12-24 - Canon 28-105 II, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 macro - Yongnuo 50/1.8 - Lensbaby Composer II w/50mm edge

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,620 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 05, 2017 08:10 |  #8433

Inspired by a photo of Paul Newman I ran across.

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

photorider
614 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 05, 2017 19:38 |  #8434

It is so rare that I step in front of the camera, but I needed to get the lighting just right.....

HOSTED PHOTO

Trever Canon 7D, 24-70 F2.8L ii, Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC HSM, and a bunch of other little stuff to make light sorta work. Deviant (external link)

DrMitch
475 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by DrMitch.

Jan 05, 2017 20:57 |  #8435

Not quite the caliber of photos as the ones here, but figured I'd "introduce" myself after all these years:

Photo-bombing my wife's waterski run:

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/631/31983972602_5f1161bf32_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QJjd​Ku  (external link) IMG_4813 (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

Movember (don't worry, I kept my mask on most of the month!!)...
I looked even better towards the end of the month sporting a nice shiner after a little karate sparring match.

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/258/32014043021_a3b9cbc5fd_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QLYk​CZ  (external link) IMG_1675 (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

Found the "good" ones:

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/742/32132693175_950f805118_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QXss​ci  (external link) IMG_1702 (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/1/289/32014150331_4afde4b84c_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QLYT​xa  (external link) IMG_1710 (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,791 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2017 22:15 |  #8436

DrMitch wrote in post #18234895 (external link)
Not quite the caliber of photos as the ones here, but figured I'd "introduce" myself after all these years:

Photo-bombing my wife's waterski run:

Movember (don't worry, I kept my mask on most of the month!!)...
I looked even better towards the end of the month sporting a nice shiner after a little karate sparring match.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QLYT​xa  (external link) IMG_1710 (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

Killer half stache' LOL

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
7,331 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 05, 2017 22:54 |  #8437

Well, this is a lousy cell phone shot of myself getting ready for a Pakistani wedding anniversary of a friend of mine. Got myself a traditional Kameez outfit for that party :)

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

Nelson ­ Rodriguez
52 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 09, 2017 11:45 |  #8438

HOSTED PHOTO

www.illuminancemedia.c​om
www.instagram.com/illu​minancemedia
www.facebook.com/illum​inancemedia
www.facebook.com/nel3d

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,626 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 11, 2017 19:25 |  #8439

Spent some time playing with a new toy, the Light Blaster. I ordered a couple of custom slides and they came in today.

This first one is a starburst patter design I found online and modified for my own use

HOSTED PHOTO

This one is to mimic a traditional 'Old Masters' style backdrop in brown tones.

HOSTED PHOTO

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 11, 2017 19:30 |  #8440

-Duck- wrote in post #18241509 (external link)
Spent some time playing with a new toy, the Light Blaster. I ordered a couple of custom slides and they came in today.

This first one is a starburst patter design I found online and modified for my own use
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by -Duck- in
./showthread.php?p=182​41509&i=i38538160

This one is to mimic a traditional 'Old Masters' style backdrop in brown tones.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​41509&i=i29507368

Please tell me how you got #2 background!!

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

-Duck-
1,626 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 11, 2017 19:54 |  #8441

atsilverstein wrote in post #18241512 (external link)
Please tell me how you got #2 background!!

Thanks for the inquiry. The background is a projected image using a Light Blaster (external link) flash projector. I've added the link so you can read how it works. I then ordered two free custom test slides from colorslides.com (external link). The top image was designed like a standard GoBo while the second is more like a traditional color image. In this case the image is made to look like a painted canvas. Here is what I used.

HOSTED PHOTO

This texture was generated using Corel Draw. I was able to tweak the pattern and colors until I got a look I liked and generated a full size JPG from it. I projected the slides onto a (in this case) light gray backdrop (it was already hanging) and set up my portrait lights accordingly (seen below).

HOSTED PHOTO

Since these were test slides I definitely learned some things that need to be changed. For one, the painted backdrop came out too dark on the slide and needs to have a stronger contrast in order to make an effective projection slide. I have a bunch more i'll be making and testing. I'll be blogging about this on my blog and will likely post something here as well.

Hope this info helps.

Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 11, 2017 20:15 |  #8442

-Duck- wrote in post #18241532 (external link)
Thanks for the inquiry. The background is a projected image using a Light Blaster (external link) flash projector. I've added the link so you can read how it works. I then ordered two free custom test slides from colorslides.com (external link). The top image was designed like a standard GoBo while the second is more like a traditional color image. In this case the image is made to look like a painted canvas. Here is what I used.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​41532&i=i98144393

This texture was generated using Corel Draw. I was able to tweak the pattern and colors until I got a look I liked and generated a full size JPG from it. I projected the slides onto a (in this case) light gray backdrop (it was already hanging) and set up my portrait lights accordingly (seen below).
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​41532&i=i188897808

Since these were test slides I definitely learned some things that need to be changed. For one, the painted backdrop came out too dark on the slide and needs to have a stronger contrast in order to make an effective projection slide. I have a bunch more i'll be making and testing. I'll be blogging about this on my blog and will likely post something here as well.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for explaining.. yes and no because this is way beyond me lol. But I'd love to follow along with your blog/posts here about it. I'm interested in having this type of a background but for wider shots. Perhaps there is more than one way to go about it.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

-Duck-
1,626 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 11, 2017 20:17 |  #8443

This is what the other slide looks like. As I mentioned, it's designed to replicate a GoBo. The projection is a bit blurry because of the lens setup. I actually caused it to blur by defocusing the lens. Since the lens is a zoom, I can also alter the size (to a small extent) as well.

HOSTED PHOTO

gabe212
94 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2016

Jan 14, 2017 18:36 |  #8444

trying out the Einstein more

HOSTED PHOTO

hammer418
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 14, 2017 19:29 |  #8445

gabe212 wrote in post #18244544 (external link)
trying out the Einstein more
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by gabe212 in
./showthread.php?p=182​44544&i=i38299922

Rad ! <thumbsup>

sponsored links

2,017,761 views & 2,345 likes for this thread
Self Portrait Thread II - Post pics!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.