Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Jan 2017 (Monday) 18:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone Using SpiderHolster Pro and Think Tank ProSpeed Belt?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 02, 2017 18:58 |  #1

I already have a Think Tank ProSpeed Belt, and I'm thinking about getting this SpiderHolster Adapter Kit for it.

https://www.amazon.com …ProSpeed+Belt+A​dapter+Kit (external link)

For anyone using this Adapter Kit with the Think Tank ProSpeed Belt, I'd like to learn about the pros and cons of using the combined system. Specifically, for example, how does the combined system work with, say, Canon 5DIII with 24-70L or 70-200L? Is the overall weight a bit too much for the combined system to handle, or is it relatively comfortable?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 02, 2017 20:26 |  #2

I found the prospeed belt inadequate for a 1D body with 70-200 2.8. I use the steroid belt with the adapter for the spider holster.

The prospeed belt I think would be ok for a 5D and 24-70, or 5D and a 70-200 f/4.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 02, 2017 21:21 |  #3

rdalrt wrote in post #18231250 (external link)
I found the prospeed belt inadequate for a 1D body with 70-200 2.8. I use the steroid belt with the adapter for the spider holster.

The prospeed belt I think would be ok for a 5D and 24-70, or 5D and a 70-200 f/4.

I also have the Steroid Belt, but I was hoping to use the Pro Speed Belt for the SpiderPro Adapter. The Pro Speed is less conspicuous, and during hot summer months, less sweat collected in the belt. So, it makes a big difference between the belts when using the SpiderPro Adapter?

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 02, 2017 21:27 |  #4

Can you use the same SpiderPro Adpater for either the Pro Speed Belt or the Steroid Belt? Or, do you have to buy the specific Adapter for the specific belt?

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by rdalrt.

Jan 03, 2017 09:24 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #5

There is a specific adapter for each belt. http://spiderholster.c​om/spiderpro-compatibility-kits/ (external link)

My Junk ;)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 03, 2017 11:06 |  #6

rdalrt wrote in post #18231692 (external link)
There is a specific adapter for each belt. http://spiderholster.c​om/spiderpro-compatibility-kits/ (external link)

Thanks for the link. I found a 20% discount coupon code from someone promoting the product on YouTube, so I ordered one directly from the company. After going back and forth between the ProSpeed and Steroid, I decided to go with the ProSpeed adapter. Upon initial try, I can return it for the Steroid adapter if unsatisfactory. The purpose for my need for the adapter is just to get my hands freed up once in awhile when I need to adjust my lighting equipment when I'm shooting in my studio and out on location. I often don't have an assistant, and it's been a real hassle putting down my camera somewhere whenever I need to adjust or move the light stand, reflector, etc. So, for such a "temporary" docking of my camera, I think the ProSpeed adapter should be sufficient and less conspicuous.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 03, 2017 12:32 |  #7

Sounds like that should work fine for you then. My use is holding a 1dx 70-200 2.8 combo while running up and down sidelines at football games. I needed more support than the regular prospeed belt could supply.

My Junk ;)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 03, 2017 13:30 |  #8

rdalrt wrote in post #18231877 (external link)
Sounds like that should work fine for you then. My use is holding a 1dx 70-200 2.8 combo while running up and down sidelines at football games. I needed more support than the regular prospeed belt could supply.

For something like that, I'd use the Cotton Carrier Vest, which I have and love. Whenever I go on a photography hiking or anything that requires hours of carrying my 70-200, that's what I put on. Nothing beats that as far as comfort goes. I normally don't like to wear anything on the side, like SpiderHolster, because of the weight imbalance, especially for heavy gear, so I'm going to only use it for temporary docking needs as described earlier.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Echo63
Goldmember
2,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2017 07:12 |  #9

I used neither - i just slid the little steel Spider units onto my everyday belt (a heavy 1.5" nylon "riggers belt" by the Wilderness)
worked perfectly for about 4 years, was comfortable, and they never got in the way (had them on all day, everyday)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 12, 2017 07:28 |  #10

I use the spider holster with the think tank pro speed belt. Very comfortable.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 12, 2017 09:26 |  #11

The combination of SpiderPro and ProSpeed Belt is just perfect for my studio and location shooting, even with 70-200 f/2.8. Using the BlackRapid Curve Breathe with this system adds to the perfection.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

2,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone Using SpiderHolster Pro and Think Tank ProSpeed Belt?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.