Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 04:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building a 24x30 studio in my backyard...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2017 13:25 |  #16

Something I think Kliphe should consider...unlike most folks with very constricted shooting spaces, your spacious area permits you to ignore issues present in small spaces!

• The small space shooter needs to limit the amount of unwanted bounce back of light by adjacent walls and ceiling...ergo thoughts of 18% gray walls or darker
  • The large space shooter can take advantage of Inverse Square law, and ignore unwanted bounce back
  • if light source is 4' from subject and 8' from adjacent wall, the light striking the wall is already -2EV in intensity before it is further reduced by reflecting off the imperfect reflective surface of the wall (losing another -1EV even from a white wall, or more), and any light bouncing back to the subject is further attenuated in the distance from wall to subject! Light at -3EV is virtually non-existent from a photographic point of view.

IOW, you can choose a brighter tone for the wall without issue!

The need for black wall is useful if doing certain types of shoots entailing open-shutter (Bulb) and/or absolute black background, but backdrops can be set for that, rather than having a permanently black wall.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,702 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by -Duck-.

Jan 07, 2017 13:47 |  #17

Angmo wrote in post #18236647 (external link)
..Watch the tints in the white paint. Make sure it's actually white...

Angmo actually beat me to this so I will second it and add that the gray background be selected with care. There are warm grays and cool grays that can cast unsightly colors back. What gets reflected back can not be determined by the little sample swatches or from the tint inside the can. You have to consider reflective chroma of the paint not just the color. It all depends on your needs and how restrictive color is for you. Something to keep in mind.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Facebook (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by bobbyz.

Jan 07, 2017 14:15 |  #18

Would white walls be easier to make gray when needed. White seems more inviting also. You can always put darker curtains to block light reflection when needed.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

SailingAway
385 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 07, 2017 14:46 |  #19

I'm not involved in the markets the OP listed.

My sensitivity is to white reflective surfaces that make it impossible to achieve deep shadow when desired... but then, I'm not doing portraiture. I'm also shooting mostly video, for which post correction is more like processing jpg than processing raw.

It's easier to add light than take it away. A white ceiling makes a great bounce, but will always reflect any uncontrolled light. My ceiling is dark gray, with lots of soft work light from about 20 paper lanterns on a light string.

I've only flown an overhead reflector once in about 6 years in the space. 9' ceilings. YMMV!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

RicoTudor
627 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by RicoTudor.

Jan 07, 2017 14:52 |  #20

My white-walled shooting space, 9'x20' black b/d deployed:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/backdrop1.jpg

Backdrop removed, white BD with grid hitting the white wall. Note low level of stray light:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/bd103.jpg

In summary, white is good and neutral is good. Only the door behind me is not neutral (being brown wood), and it causes remarkable trouble with color casts and reflections. I should paint the damn thing. :)

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,098 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Angmo.

Jan 07, 2017 14:55 |  #21

-Duck- wrote in post #18236703 (external link)
Angmo actually beat me to this so I will second it and add that the gray background be selected with care. There are warm grays and cool grays that can cast unsightly colors back. What gets reflected back can not be determined by the little sample swatches or from the tint inside the can. You have to consider reflective chroma of the paint not just the color. It all depends on your needs and how restrictive color is for you. Something to keep in mind.

I can't remember, but I read somewhere someone supplies foto white, grey ... paints. Maybe was a post/thread on this site?

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Kliphe
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 07, 2017 18:06 as a reply to  @ post 18236630 |  #22

One fairly big one on the north side

Always be ready to give reason for your hope

Kliphe
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 07, 2017 18:10 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #23

Thank you for the detailed response! The black wall might be just a occasional use thing, but, it is a look I really want (I will try and find the sports shooter that I want to emulate)

Always be ready to give reason for your hope

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 12, 2017 09:03 |  #24

If I were building this space it would have a corner cove between one 20 and one 30 foot wall. Also a cove to the floor as well for those two wall. Ceiling needs to be at least 20 feet to have space to get lights and modifiers high enough for standing humans.

Then get paint in at least 5 gallon buckets. You'll need to repaint the coved area quite often. I'd paint the other walls a neutral color and rely on seamless paper for specific shooting situations.

The OP's description makes it sound like each wall is a separate shooting space. In my experience that's not practical. The coved corner is the main shooting space that is flexible.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 12, 2017 09:41 |  #25

Just a guess, but I would think encountering a HOA in Canyon, TX is about as common as encountering a Democrat.
: /

Now, back to a really good thread. : )

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Iancentric.

Jan 12, 2017 10:33 |  #26

i'm lucky enough to have a studio where the main space is 18 x 40 one end of the studio is grey walls and floor and the other end painted white, each for 10 ft from the wall, That leaves the middle 20 ft of walls for color, which changes now and then. I prefer painted walls over backdrops, no wrinkles and models can lean on them.

the ceiling is a very dark blue, it was that way when we moved in , so just left it that way. Since it works. Its 14 ft high. That was a major plus when we looking for a space. Would happily give up width and length for height

someone else said a totally grey studio feels cold and uninviting. Having the color section in the middle changes that a bit. But yes for sure grey does that. Its still the right choice in my opinion

edit: Since i have been considering moving out of my rental studio and building my own, I have been thinking what I would do. i came up with very close to your thoughts. i would paint 3 walls white, the 4th wall grey, grey floor (until i can afford some sort of hardwood) dark ceiling black or midnight blue. Then i would go buy a few 4 x8 sheets of black foam core.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

deejjjaaaa
150 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Jan 12, 2017 11:54 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

NBEast wrote in post #18236630 (external link)
Any windows?

no windows... some rusty hooks, chains, etc and he can rent it out to BDSM affcionados or else !

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,098 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Angmo.

Jan 12, 2017 12:02 |  #28

Iancentric wrote in post #18242069 (external link)
i'm lucky enough to have a studio where the main space is 18 x 40 one end of the studio is grey walls and floor and the other end painted white, each for 10 ft from the wall, That leaves the middle 20 ft of walls for color, which changes now and then. I prefer painted walls over backdrops, no wrinkles and models can lean on them.

the ceiling is a very dark blue, it was that way when we moved in , so just left it that way. Since it works. Its 14 ft high. That was a major plus when we looking for a space. Would happily give up width and length for height

someone else said a totally grey studio feels cold and uninviting. Having the color section in the middle changes that a bit. But yes for sure grey does that. Its still the right choice in my opinion

edit: Since i have been considering moving out of my rental studio and building my own, I have been thinking what I would do. i came up with very close to your thoughts. i would paint 3 walls white, the 4th wall grey, grey floor (until i can afford some sort of hardwood) dark ceiling black or midnight blue. Then i would go buy a few 4 x8 sheets of black foam core.

FYI or you already know... you can get faux wood floors from Denny Manufacturing. Allows you to change up whatever you like. Even use a floor for a wall; just hang it. [/B]

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

sponsored links

5,147 views & 16 likes for this thread
Building a 24x30 studio in my backyard...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.