Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 21:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New studio setup

mathogre
Goldmember
3,527 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2017 00:24 |  #16

Angela,

If this were my baby, you'd be making lots of money from me! She's beautiful, and you made a gorgeous photo.

Critical feedback? I love you focussed on her eyes. The shallow DoF is fine with me. You also connected with her, and that matters. Bravo!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

sponsored links
Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 11, 2017 22:24 |  #17

Would not be a lead in shot for the catalog. When we shoot kids, we always try to suggest doing everything possible to make the photo stand out. I went right to her hair which is an amazing color and looks very full, at least on the sides. Right now the top looks a little like a hot steamy day where it kind of went flat.

DOF, with the sweater.

curious why you would post requests for comments on the editing of the photo when trying something new, and you ordered three canvas of that shot. Why not wait to hear some suggestions and trying them out to see the results before ordering?

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by atsilverstein.

Jan 12, 2017 05:44 |  #18

Amadauss wrote in post #18241640 (external link)
Would not be a lead in shot for the catalog. When we shoot kids, we always try to suggest doing everything possible to make the photo stand out. I went right to her hair which is an amazing color and looks very full, at least on the sides. Right now the top looks a little like a hot steamy day where it kind of went flat.

DOF, with the sweater.

curious why you would post requests for comments on the editing of the photo when trying something new, and you ordered three canvas of that shot. Why not wait to hear some suggestions and trying them out to see the results before ordering?

2 reasons: because the things I was most concerned about I can't change with editing - the lighting and dof. Also because I am due to submit family session photos to a client in a few days and I need to have canvas samples to show her. She told me she'd like to order several so I'd like to increase my chances of that. I'm switching business models from only digitals to focusing on physical pieces and this would be my first opportunity for that.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 12, 2017 17:35 |  #19

If this prints well, then pp is fine, dof is fine (taste thing as stated)

My nit... light source needs to be a smige higher, to place catch light in the 10:00 position, if you can adjust it. A reflector to bounce into the shadows camera right wouldn't hurt.

Beautifully captured expression, I'd have canvas examples as well if it was my kid, nits and all. :)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 12, 2017 17:40 |  #20

ksbal wrote in post #18242481 (external link)
If this prints well, then pp is fine, dof is fine (taste thing as stated)

My nit... light source needs to be a smige higher, to place catch light in the 10:00 position, if you can adjust it. A reflector to bounce into the shadows camera right wouldn't hurt.

Beautifully captured expression, I'd have canvas examples as well if it was my kid, nits and all. :)

Thanks. I just got 2 of the canvases today and they are beautiful!!

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 12, 2017 19:22 |  #21

atsilverstein wrote in post #18242488 (external link)

Where did you get them if you don't mind sharing.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 12, 2017 19:46 |  #22

Amadauss wrote in post #18242607 (external link)
atsilverstein wrote in post #18242488 (external link)

Where did you get them if you don't mind sharing.

I got them from Tribeca Printworks, but now that I looked at the back it seems like it could've been put together better.

- William Ernest Henley

genedarrell
604 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2017 07:10 |  #23

I like the image. I like the DOF, that being said the focus point appears to be the tip of her nose. When shooting with that DOF i always want to try to nail the eyes as opposed to anywhere else on her face. all in all i like the image

www.genespics.com (external link)
Sony A7RIII,Sony F2.8 70-200, L F4 24-105, Canon 17-40 L,Canon 50 1.4, Sigma 120-300 2.8 IS,GODOX V860II SX2 ,Canon 2X extender II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 23, 2017 21:01 |  #24

Is there a reason you shot with f/2.2?

I mean, a very nice subject, but to me that aperture would be asking for trouble with this type of shot. I'd probably tend toward something like f/5.6, that way everything should fall nicely in the DOf!

So, maybe do some exercises, similar shots and lighting but mess with that aperture! Give it a try!

I know what it's like to shoot with a "fast" lens...I had a beloved 85mm f/1.2, and yeah, I messed around a bit with some close portraits, but I didn't want to come up with disappointing results!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

4,551 views & 22 likes for this thread
New studio setup
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.