Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital_AM. (2 edits in all)

Jan 12, 2017 16:06 |  #29221

Just received my Loxia 85 this afternoon. From the few handheld images I took, this lens looks and performs excellently. Wonderfully sharp and lovely microcontrast. Actually it appears to be a bit sharper than my Loxia 21. I'll share a few images later on. The lens is dense and solidly built. Actually I was expecting it to be heavier and bigger. The manual control is buttery smooth and precise. So my initial impressions are very favorable!

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,746 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 12, 2017 16:11 |  #29222

idsurfer wrote in post #18242371 (external link)
I REALLY like this one!!!

You are super stoked! If I only had the one kid I'd go that route. Congrats! I'm in the market for a pop-up tent trailer. My kids have been camping their whole like. My daughter was out in the mountains at 10 days old. I think I'm getting tired of sleeping on the ground when we are just car camping. Tent trailer gets us off the ground. Backpacking and self support river trips are another story of course!

At my age, roughing it now means no room service.  :p

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Miranda1
944 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 12, 2017 17:01 as a reply to  @ digital_AM's post |  #29223

Congratdulation on your purchase, from all accounts the Loxia 85 sounds like a really great lens.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 12, 2017 17:19 |  #29224

navydoc wrote in post #18242386 (external link)
At my age, roughing it now means no room service.  :p

its not my age so much as I don't really enjoy sleeping on the ground anymore...I have grown accustomed to indoor plumbing and a hot shower...but for a weekend here and there, I can get by in a little RV...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

invi2003
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Gallery: 437 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2017 17:28 as a reply to  @ post 18242299 |  #29225

I want to get into portrait and I like what I see here. What's your light setup?

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2017 17:56 |  #29226

Miranda1 wrote in post #18242425 (external link)
Congratdulation on your purchase, from all accounts the Loxia 85 sounds like a really great lens.

Thanks!

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2017 18:04 |  #29227

xpfloyd wrote in post #18242266 (external link)
I hope nobody minds me posting this here but I want to share my exciting news. Today I purchased the VW transporter below and will be converting it into a campervan. In addition to fun trips for me and the family it will also allow me the opportunity to photograph more as I will be out more (my recent Milky Way shots at the Neolithic stones were on a campervan trip when I hired one). I will collect the van in a weeks time, can't wait!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by xpfloyd in
./showthread.php?p=182​42266&i=i27038205
forum: Sony Cameras

Awesome! That's great Eddie. You're going to have fun with it.

shoshone
504 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 12, 2017 18:05 |  #29228

cc1995 wrote in post #18242360 (external link)
Attempted a few picks with my FE 28. Don't do many landscapes. A shot overlooking Providence, RI after a recent snowfall. First shot was taken from a single exposure and the second was a 5 shot bracket.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QSQq​gY  (external link) _DSC3008Final (external link) by craigcim (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/R3B8​M5  (external link) _DSC3003_Final (external link) by craigcim (external link), on Flickr

I prefer the first image. The second one is IMHO too HDR like in the sense of looking overcooked. My 2 cents.

Sony: A7rii
FE16-35ZA | FE 55 | B85

Miranda1
944 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 12, 2017 18:14 |  #29229

After a lot of pondering and decision making I finally caved and purchased a new addition to my lens grouping, the Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21Asperical.

As primarily a landscape shooter I've relied on my Zeiss 21mm and 15mm Distagons as my primary wide/ultra-wide setup. As great as these lenses are they are also heavy and bulky which makes them difficult to travel and hike with especially when trekking up the mountains. I've been searching for a set of replacement lens and considered the Loxia 21 and the Voigtlander 15. I've owned the Voigtlander 15 III, it was sharp and sample was pretty good in the corners, not as good as the 15 Distagon but certainly useable. I had a miss-hap with that lens and now de-centered and likely not worth the repair cost, I also don't want to go through multiple samples in order to find one that meet my requirements.

The Leica is really small and light and as with most Leica Ms extremely well built, click stops are nice and crip and the detachable metal hood is also great. I'm not a bif fan of the focus tab, I would have preferred a proper knurred focus rig so that may take me some time to get use to. The lens included a customer filter adapter which will allow it to use the Lee filter system, a nice touch. Overall very impressed with the lens, I'll need to go out this weekend to run some test samples, weather permitting.

Here is a photo of the lens attached to the A7R2 and the TechArtPro Autofocus adapter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Jan 12, 2017 18:16 |  #29230

Miranda1 wrote in post #18242524 (external link)
After a lot of pondering and decision making I finally caved and purchased a new addition to my lens grouping, the Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21Asperical.

As primarily a landscape shooter I've relied on my Zeiss 21mm and 15mm Distagons as my primary wide/ultra-wide setup. As great as these lenses are they are also heavy and bulky which makes them difficult to travel and hike with especially when trekking up the mountains. I've been searching for a set of replacement lens and considered the Loxia 21 and the Voigtlander 15. I've owned the Voigtlander 15 III, it was sharp and sample was pretty good in the corners, not as good as the 15 Distagon but certainly useable. I had a miss-hap with that lens and now de-centered and likely not worth the repair cost, I also don't want to go through multiple samples in order to find one that meet my requirements.

The Leica is really small and light and as with most Leica Ms extremely well built, click stops are nice and crip and the detachable metal hood is also great. I'm not a bif fan of the focus tab, I would have preferred a proper knurred focus rig so that may take me some time to get use to. The lens included a customer filter adapter which will allow it to use the Lee filter system, a nice touch. Overall very impressed with the lens, I'll need to go out this weekend to run some test samples, weather permitting.

Here is a photo of the lens attached to the A7R2 and the TechArtPro Autofocus adapter.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Miranda1 in
./showthread.php?p=182​42524&i=i20939799
forum: Sony Cameras

Wanted one myself, but the price.... it must be such a masterpiece of a wide angle lens.

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 12, 2017 18:26 |  #29231

Miranda1 wrote in post #18242524 (external link)
After a lot of pondering and decision making I finally caved and purchased a new addition to my lens grouping, the Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21Asperical.]

:eek: holy smokes...that thing is worth more than my car...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Miranda1
944 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 12, 2017 18:43 |  #29232

davidfarina wrote in post #18242528 (external link)
Wanted one myself, but the price.... it must be such a masterpiece of a wide angle lens.

Yeah the price of these things is really rediculous but much like everything else you pay for the convinience ( size ), build quality and of course the Leica name, never the less it doesn't make it any less rediculous. In terms of expectations all I'm expecting is that it's as good as the 21 Distagon, based on the samples that I've seen from the lens on an unmodified A7R I don't expect that it would better that lens or the Loxia 21 for sure.

It's going to be a great hiking lens especially when mountain hiking. I'm thinking of going back to the Pyrenees or Scottland this summer, I haven't quite decided and having just a single wide/ultra-wide lens to lug around will be a gods send.

Sony A7R2

cc1995
278 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 12, 2017 18:49 |  #29233

shoshone wrote in post #18242520 (external link)
I prefer the first image. The second one is IMHO too HDR like in the sense of looking overcooked. My 2 cents.

I had a feeling some wouldn't like the second shot as much. I used HDR Efex Pro to create it and tried not to overwork it too much. Many of the great landscapes on here are very realistic looking (Probably all done with exposure blending and luminosity masking...which I'm trying to learn now). I sometimes like the fantasy look that HDR creates...I know alot of HDR can get really out of hand but I tend to like the fantasy like quality of the look at times. Thank you for your feedback though...I agree with you that I overprocessed the second pic a bit. I would love it if some of you great landscapers on this forum would do some post processing tutorials on youtube. Even if you made them and set them to private and just sent the links to people on this board via PM. I know many don't like to give up their secret sauce to post processing sometimes and make them public. I would just love to see how you all create such amazing work.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 12, 2017 19:05 |  #29234

cc1995 wrote in post #18242562 (external link)
I had a feeling some wouldn't like the second shot as much. I used HDR Efex Pro to create it and tried not to overwork it too much. Many of the great landscapes on here are very realistic looking (Probably all done with exposure blending and luminosity masking...which I'm trying to learn now). I sometimes like the fantasy look that HDR creates...I know alot of HDR can get really out of hand but I tend to like the fantasy like quality of the look at times. Thank you for your feedback though...I agree with you that I overprocessed the second pic a bit. I would love it if some of you great landscapers on this forum would do some post processing tutorials on youtube. Even if you made them and set them to private and just sent the links to people on this board via PM. I know many don't like to give up their secret sauce to post processing sometimes and make them public. I would just love to see how you all create such amazing work.

I will not lump myself in with the really talented folks...still feel like I have a lot to learn...but for me, I do so little blending or luminosity masking anymore...with the DR of the A7R2, most of my work is done on a single RAW file, lots of adjustment brushing in LR and then tweaking in PS...I have started to do a lot more dodging and burning in scenes that call for it...I for one am quite happy to not be spending so much time fiddling with blending...it made editing take so much more time.

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 12, 2017 19:06 as a reply to  @ invi2003's post |  #29235

single light , streaklight 360 wiith a snoot

like i said i like dark, shadowy portraits .. trying to get better , i purchased a model lol

and then sometimes have to use myself , cant expect my gf to drop what shes doing every time i want to practice

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/502/32125939912_921e87ea3a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QWRQ​FJ  (external link) DSC01578 (external link) by Randall Herrra (external link), on Flickr

same setup above , except theres a secondary light .. Aputure Amaran 672 (continuous LED light)

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sponsored links

3,805,069 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.