Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SO I Pull Out My...

NYS ­ Photo
117 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 10, 2017 20:24 |  #1

30~ yr old Minolta Maxxum 5000 and decided to dust it off and clean it up. Thankfully I didn't store it with batteries in it.

I bought this camera as soon as I got out of the Army in 87', I lived in a studio apartment with my new bride above the camera shop I bought it from .

Took some pretty nice shots with it for about five years or more, after that kids came and I lost interest/time in cameras so it sat up to this point. I did dust it off once before because I have a couple rolls of Kodak Max 400 film still in their canisters. BTW do you think this film is still any good, guess there's only one way to find out right.

I have a 50mm 1.7 and a zoom 100-200mm for it, I'm loading it up and taking some shots tomorrow. I really used to love to take pictures with this camera but I'm definitely not leaving my digital, I love taking pictures with it also and it doesn't require me to take the film to get developed.

Anyway that's it for me walking down memory lane for tonight.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/701/32238598865_58e24f5e6f_b.jpg

sponsored links
timd35
224 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 10, 2017 20:37 |  #2

Definitely brings back memories. :-) The 5000 is the first 35mm camera I owned. Then after a couple years picked up a 7000i.

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,704 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 10, 2017 21:47 |  #3

Memory lane is a great avenue to travel down.

On the topic of first cameras... The first camera I was given was my father's old Argus 35mm camera. Early C series (C2 or C3 I believe), I'd have to dig it out and double check. Unfortunately it was broken, missing the focusing gear on the front of the camera. Needless to say, I never did use it but I still have it.

I saved up my paper route money one summer and bought myself a brand new Pentax K1000. Since I was making good money with my route I was able to, not only afford the film, but also all the supplies needed to develop my own black and white film. That was a process I thoroughly enjoyed. I cut my teeth with that camera.

Several years later I 'upgraded' to the new Canon AE1-P. That camera traveled with me throughout my enlistment in the Navy and I eventually bought a second body. Unfortunately all my gear was stolen by a vengeful roommate. By that time the AE1-P was considered a relic and I was able to replace them both at a fraction of the cost I initially paid. Those cameras are still in my collection and I had a hard time setting them aside for a digital camera.

Like you, Bruce, I now wouldn't want to give up my digital camera but film definitely has a place in my heart.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Facebook (external link)

pbrimages
353 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 10, 2017 22:05 |  #4

NYS Photo wrote in post #18240519 (external link)
30~ yr old Minolta Maxxum 5000 and decided to dust it off and clean it up. Thankfully I didn't store it with batteries in it.

I bought this camera as soon as I got out of the Army in 87', I lived in a studio apartment with my new bride above the camera shop I bought it from .

Took some pretty nice shots with it for about five years or more, after that kids came and I lost interest/time in cameras so it sat up to this point. I did dust it off once before because I have a couple rolls of Kodak Max 400 film still in their canisters. BTW do you think this film is still any good, guess there's only one way to find out right.

I have a 50mm 1.7 and a zoom 100-200mm for it, I'm loading it up and taking some shots tomorrow. I really used to love to take pictures with this camera but I'm definitely not leaving my digital, I love taking pictures with it also and it doesn't require me to take the film to get developed.

QUOTED IMAGE

Totally awesome. Glad you kept it all of these years. My first "real" camera was a Minolta XG-A that I purchased while stationed in Ft. Sill back in '83. Loved that camera. Also learned to process and develop my own color and B&W film while stationed in Ft. Lewis a short while later. My second body was a 7000i that I purchased back in '92, along with a Sigma 70-210 and 35-70. Still have it with all of the original kit, along with an X700 that I bought shortly after the 7000i. Recently picked up a bunch of original Minolta and Sigma lenses from a local vendor just to have fun with that body again. Right now is a bit of a golden age for used gear: there is a lot of really good product still available and the prices are dirt cheap.

-Duck-, the K1000 was a great camera. It is responsible for launching millions of budding shutterbugs on their way into photography. For a brief while back in the film days I taught college photography and would recommend the K1000 for any student that did not already have a camera to work with. Very economical and able to do all that was asked of it.

Good memories!

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

AceCo55
264 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 11, 2017 00:38 |  #5

My first slr was an Olympus OM 1 that I bought just after starting work in the '70s
Lots of great memories with that camera and dabbling in the darkroom (although I never really got deeply into that)

When I met my future wife, she also had an Olympus OM 1 (I knew she had great taste)
We would put colour film in one and B&W int he other on holidays.
Well we came back from one camping holiday to discover we only had ONE camera.
We worked out we left on a rock by a rock pool but because we still were shooting with the other and just assumed the other was in the bag!!!

I kept that camera until last year. I donated it and a bunch of other lenses/gear to a school.
The Science teacher wanted to get the kids interested in another process.
He said the kids loved it and couldn't wait to get to the next lesson ... so I feel like the camera still "lives on"
:-)

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

dsuitor
40 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by dsuitor.

Jan 12, 2017 20:20 |  #6

NYS Photo wrote in post #18240519 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Interesting path. Mine is similar:
I started when I was in the Navy with a Mamiya-Sekor 35mm SLR - http://www.kenrockwell​.com/mamiya/1000-dtl.htm (external link)
What I was after was the interchangeable lens feature so I could use a telephoto. I used the SLR and a 200mm for about 6 years shooting a bunch of Ektachrome then put it down as my life got busy with school, work, family, house, etc, but I always knew I would come back to photography. We shot family stuff with snapshot cameras, film, then digital. When I left DEC/Compaq/HP in 2004 and wanted to do some web work, I decided to get a DSLR and ended up with a Canon Rebel. I started down the Canon path and and am now using a 1D4 for racing stuff and a 5d2 (FF) as a general purpose camera. Got some good glass.

In my case the path has been one-way. Never going back to film.

regards,
dms

1d4, 7d, 5d2, 50d, and a growing list of L lens and lighting

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 13, 2017 19:58 |  #7

Got my Canon AT-1 in 1979, year 3 of my 20 year naval career and the year my son was born. Stuck with Canon ever since! The AT-1 still works and sits in my office, though I haven't run any film through it in a while.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

NYS ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 13, 2017 20:55 |  #8

Seems as though there's a good amount of prior service guys here...Here's to you...*clink*

sponsored links

2,350 views & 8 likes for this thread
SO I Pull Out My...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.