Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 13 Jan 2017 (Friday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Event shooter shoulder bag for two bodies?

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2017 12:16 |  #1

I'm looking for a bag to use while shooting events: conferences, weddings, etc. When covering events, I use a gripped 7D2 with a 70-200 f2.8, and a 5D2 (without grip) with a 24-105 + a 580EX II flash.

I have bags that can fit this gear without the 70-200 mounted, but I would really like to be able to fit both cameras with their lenses mounted, so I can work out of the bag. I wouldn't expect something big enough to keep the flash mounted, but it should be able to store the flash unattached so I could just mount it when I arrive.

Right now I have two bags that come close to what I want:
On the small side I have the Lowepro Nova Sport 17L AW. It's a good event bag when I use just a single camera with 24-105 attached, 70-200, and a flash. It can also fit two un-gripped bodies with standard zoom lenses attached but is nowhere deep enough to fit a body with 70-200 attached.

On the large side I have the Lowepro Nova Sport 35L AW. It has plenty of horizontal room for two gripped bodies, and is just barely deep enough to keep a 70-200 attached. But it feels too cumbersome while at an event. Less horizontal room would make carrying it a lot easier.

They should make a Nova Sport 25L…

Any recommendations?

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

sponsored links
mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2017 13:42 |  #2

Found a deal on a Manfrotto Professional Shoulder Bag 30 for $25:
http://www.fullcompass​.com …0-Manfrotto-MB-MP-SB-30BB (external link)

Too good of a deal to resist. Looks like it's a little bit smaller than the Nova Sport 35L, so hope it works out. I'll try to post my impressions once it arrives.

Still thought it would be good to keep this thread alive though, because I think I use a common two camera setup for event shooting.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 13, 2017 13:55 |  #3

I sometimes use the Think Tank Retrospective 20 which is pretty deep. It can hold a large body and a 70-200mm mounted. I've never configured it for two bodies but it has the space.

But really, I find it easier to use my vest and harness along with some pouches strapped to my belt for events.

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,435 posts
Gallery: 588 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 13, 2017 14:07 |  #4

Have you looked at the Lowepro Magnum 200 AW? I have had it recommended to me but haven't tried it myself. But I'm with frugivore and need the cameras more accessible so use either SpyderPro belt or BlackRapid system for two cameras.

flickr (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,156 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 13, 2017 14:46 |  #5

All my bags are now ONLY for the purpose of transporting my camera gear. Once I'm at an event, I employ any combination of the Think Tank Belt system, BlackRapid, Cotton Carrier Vest or SpiderPro Holster. NONE of my gear gets on my neck or shoulders.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2017 16:43 |  #6

frugivore wrote in post #18243389 (external link)
I sometimes use the Think Tank Retrospective 20 which is pretty deep. It can hold a large body and a 70-200mm mounted. I've never configured it for two bodies but it has the space.

But really, I find it easier to use my vest and harness along with some pouches strapped to my belt for events.

The Retrospective 20 does look like a nice bag. Right now I have an Domke F-5XC that can hold an ungripped body with 24-105 and either a 70-200 or a flash. The ThinkTank does look like a better size for just a little more gear. Like how it can keep the 70-200 mounted, and it's deep enough for a grip.

For events in smaller spaces, like weddings, I think just having the cameras on straps works just fine. I don't have a harness system, but I do have a shoulder strap on one body and a neck strap on the other and that has worked well for me in the past.

Where I want to have the bag always with me is in larger events like conferences, where I'll spend all day shooting in a variety of rooms, without an obvious place to drop off bags to unload gear when I arrive in the morning. That's why I was looking for a bag that I could use to both get my gear to the event safely, and then keep it to use throughout the day.

mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by mikepj.

Jan 13, 2017 16:46 |  #7

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18243401 (external link)
Have you looked at the Lowepro Magnum 200 AW? I have had it recommended to me but haven't tried it myself. But I'm with frugivore and need the cameras more accessible so use either SpyderPro belt or BlackRapid system for two cameras.

The Magnum looks very similar to the size of the Manfrotto. Might even be a little deeper to hold gripped bodies better. According to their website, it's not recommended for two bodies, but it looks like there is plenty of space for it so that's puzzling.

I do like the top flap layout of the Magnum better. The Manfrotto has a zipper that goes all the way around, similar to the Magnum, but it doesn't have the convenient clips the Magnum offers.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 13, 2017 21:47 |  #8

mikepj wrote in post #18243533 (external link)
The Retrospective 20 does look like a nice bag. Right now I have an Domke F-5XC that can hold an ungripped body with 24-105 and either a 70-200 or a flash. The ThinkTank does look like a better size for just a little more gear. Like how it can keep the 70-200 mounted, and it's deep enough for a grip.

For events in smaller spaces, like weddings, I think just having the cameras on straps works just fine. I don't have a harness system, but I do have a shoulder strap on one body and a neck strap on the other and that has worked well for me in the past.

Where I want to have the bag always with me is in larger events like conferences, where I'll spend all day shooting in a variety of rooms, without an obvious place to drop off bags to unload gear when I arrive in the morning. That's why I was looking for a bag that I could use to both get my gear to the event safely, and then keep it to use throughout the day.

Mike, I know what you mean. I sometimes shoot corporate events and bring my Retrospective 20. I want to be less conspicuous than I am at weddings, where I use my cotton carrier. There is no urgency like there is at weddings so if I need to switch bodies or lenses, I cam do it at my leisure.

Incidentally, I just received delivery of two new bags that I ordered earlier this week. One is the Lowepro Slingshot 302, which is the largest of the three sling bag models they offer. I bought it for a trip I'm taking next week but i might use it for events. I would've preferred one of the smaller ones but the large one was on sale and I'm a big guy. The second is a Thule waist pack, which also has a shoulder strap that you can attach. I figured I'd use it when I need to bring only one camera and maybe a second lens or flash. Maybe for family photos outings.

Anyhow, I hope you find a good bag for your events.

mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2017 22:06 |  #9

frugivore wrote in post #18243777 (external link)
The second is a Thule waist pack, which also has a shoulder strap that you can attach. I figured I'd use it when I need to bring only one camera and maybe a second lens or flash. Maybe for family photos outings.

I didn't even think to check Thule. I recently bought a slim laptop case from them, and it was really nice for the price. I'll have to give them a look.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by happy2010. (3 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2017 18:04 |  #10

Hi MIKEPJ,

Good advice already given to you by others about transferring gear loads off neck (to waist, or distribute to shoulders via Cotton carrier vest); but if you prefer on wearing a bag, here are a few other options for a "shooter bag" (with a two camera criteria, which I have had: say two 5Dmkiii’s with mounted 70-200f2.8mkii & mounted 24-70f2.8mkII ) are…

Think Tank Speed Racer v2.0:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …acer_V2_0_Black​_Gray.html (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=CagxLWXmWHw (external link) (1:44 minute video ; this is the small Speed Freak, the Speed Racer is larger)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Hjgizafd9l4 (external link) (38 second video, this is the smaller Speed Freak too)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=uUJhFIydEEY (external link) (10:06 minute)
-speedlight on one of the bag’s two outside elastic pouches
-has a useful retractable waist-belt, which really helps to distribute load if carrying bag for long periods of time
-bag sometimes can feel a bit bulky (heck you are carrying two cameras in a bag).

Think Tank City Walker 20 ( may be discontinued; City Walker 30 may or may not be too big for you):
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …walker_30_Blue_​Slate.html (external link)
-conforms nicely to your body, with a comfortable shoulder strap

I have had both the Think Tank Speed Racer v2.0 and City Walker 20; like everyone in the bag iteration-process.

Just remember over time after years of even occasional event-photography, to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor.
Remember: “Youth is a Gift, Age is an Art”.

Good luck, as only you can decide what is best for you, its such a personal decision.

Mary

MARY

mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by mikepj.

Jan 16, 2017 12:37 |  #11

happy2010 wrote in post #18244524 (external link)
Think Tank Speed Racer v2.0:
-speedlight on one of the bag’s two outside elastic pouches
-has a useful retractable waist-belt, which really helps to distribute load if carrying bag for long periods of time
-bag sometimes can feel a bit bulky (heck you are carrying two cameras in a bag).

Thanks for the suggestions, Mary. I really like how the Speed Racer has a waist belt to keep the bag in a steady position instead of swinging all over the place. Seems like that would be a lot more comfortable than other bags. Nice…

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by happy2010.

Jan 16, 2017 15:42 |  #12

Yes, the Think Tank Speed Racer v2.0 is enduringly comfortable. The Think Tank City Walker 20 with its contouring nature & great shoulder strap is very comfortable too & stays in place well (will conveniently squish/flat for travelling); but the retractable waist-belt of the Speed Racer v2.0 holds the bag in place better.

Cheers.

MARY

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,156 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 16, 2017 17:17 |  #13

If you're leaning towards the Speed Racer V.2, don't forget that you can also attach a lens pouch to its waist belt:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

2,483 views & 3 likes for this thread
Event shooter shoulder bag for two bodies?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.