Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 16 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FPS drops in AIservo 5dmkiii Help

bphillips330
640 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 16, 2016 08:18 |  #1

I am having a weird issue with my 5dmkIII. It is newer to me. I am loving all the focus modes it has as I am coming from a 50

I was at my daughters soccer game and when I have the camera in AI Servo mode and fast Frame Per Second shooting. It shoots super slow. More like 3 FPS vs the 6FPS it says it will. This is in bright sunlight so that is not the issue. Shutter is at 1/1000 of a second.

I am using my 70-200 f2.8 IS with a 1.4 Tele on it. I have tested with the 1.4 on and off, no difference.

When I put camera in AI focus mode, boom it goes to full speed and shoots quick. AI server slows way down.

I have gone through settings. Using 2nd focus setting.
I have it in soccer mode focus ( forget the actual number, but picture of soccer player)

Can somebody assist with me on getting full speed when shooting?

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,176 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 16, 2016 08:31 |  #2

What ISO levels? Also what are your focusing priorities set to? Perhaps you have high NR turned on and at higher ISOs, this will slow down processing, and if you have the 1st or 2nd priority to focus, it may be having an effect perhaps? Just a couple of guesses, but this is probably a result of some other setting or series of conditions.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

camarillo
250 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 18, 2016 16:14 |  #3

....from my experience, your set up should work just perfect - great camera for just about anything

the 5d mark iii is not the fastest body; however, it is fast enough - ( your gear is goooooood stuff )

something goofy is going on; but the good news is that it can be corrected

i use the same set up; at times with a canon 1.4 or canon 2 x extender

if there is plenty of day light and you understand the game that you are shooting, ( which is an advantage; you know what to anticipate - you know where to be ) your results should be solid

so: i shoot in manual mode, Al servo mode, SINGLE POINT FOCUS AT CENTER ( i choose the target ), raw, and usually high speed continuous at 6fps

anticipating and timing is where my strength is

you can always try resetting your camera to the factory default; this does no harm and fixes problems that are hidden

......there are a lot of guys much smarter then on I this forum and perhaps they will share some more thoughts

good look; i hope this helps a little

Whittier, Ca

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 29, 2016 22:07 |  #4

You are referring to Case 4, subjects accelerate or decelerate quickly.
Check pg 94 and 95 of your manual. Setting menu AF2: AI Servo priority. Try setting something else there.
Also, Are you using one manually selected focus point?

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 30, 2016 09:01 |  #5

I second what Chunky says. The camera might be looking for focus. Several factors could be at play, but I think Chunky points out the most likely issue - you need to be in the best AF selection point mode for your situation. Of the modes below, I like to use AF Point Expansion and AF Point Surround - the 3rd and 4th checked options below:

IMAGE: https://www.atrero.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/5d-mark-iii-settings/5d-mark-iii-settings-12.jpg

You can set priorities your first and subsequent shots in AI Servo mode. I think this is secondary to the AF selection point mode you are using. For me, I'd rather a delayed shot than an out of focus shot, so I prioritize focus for the 1st shot. The second shot I place in between release and focus, relying on the probability that if my first shot achieved focus the subsequent shots will be, too.

IMAGE: https://www.atrero.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/5d-mark-iii-settings/5d-mark-iii-settings-02.jpg

IMAGE: https://www.atrero.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/5d-mark-iii-settings/5d-mark-iii-settings-03.jpg

Borrowed these images from the web. You might want to glance at this page: https://www.atrero.com …-5d-mark-iii-af-settings/ (external link)

Another issue might be the speed of the card - but perhaps unlikely, since you're able to hit max fps when you're not in AI Servo.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

PNPhotography
797 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 31, 2016 07:05 |  #6

bphillips330 wrote in post #18186026 (external link)
I am having a weird issue with my 5dmkIII. It is newer to me. I am loving all the focus modes it has as I am coming from a 50

I was at my daughters soccer game and when I have the camera in AI Servo mode and fast Frame Per Second shooting. It shoots super slow. More like 3 FPS vs the 6FPS it says it will. This is in bright sunlight so that is not the issue. Shutter is at 1/1000 of a second.

I am using my 70-200 f2.8 IS with a 1.4 Tele on it. I have tested with the 1.4 on and off, no difference.

When I put camera in AI focus mode, boom it goes to full speed and shoots quick. AI server slows way down.

I have gone through settings. Using 2nd focus setting.
I have it in soccer mode focus ( forget the actual number, but picture of soccer player)

Can somebody assist with me on getting full speed when shooting?

I could be wrong but I believe in fast shooting servo mode the SD card slows down the frame rate,unlike just using the CF card.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

dfinn
301 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 11, 2017 20:49 as a reply to  @ PNPhotography's post |  #7

I took my camera with me while walking the dogs this evening and I had just so happened to have read this thread before heading out. I noticed my camera doing the exact same things as the OP suggested.

I had both 1st image and 2nd image priority set to Focus. I could get it to stop shooting slow by adjusting 2nd image priority to the middle setting. Moving it back I could duplicate the issue again so that was definitely it. It seems that if both image priority settings are set to focus, or at least if 2nd image priority is set to focus, and the camera doesn't think whatever is in the AF point is in focus, it delays the shutter. At least that's my theory.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 11, 2017 21:44 |  #8

Likely your answer is already posted above.

If not you could try this as well. Switch the lens to manual focus, and see if the speed goes back up.

This will help to see of the bottle neck is related to focus priority etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,176 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jan 12, 2017 08:06 |  #9

5 things affect that burst speed...

1) SD card is a slower bus speed than the CF, in fact it is quite slow, using the SD slot and you will quickly fill up the internal buffer and affect FPS later, but for the first set of burst shots, no impacts will be seen as you are filling the internal buffer before it gets backed up behind the scenes trying to empty that buffer to the card.

2) Focus priority settings

3) High ISO NR for high ISO shots

4) Slower shutter speeds

5) Drive mode set by the photographer (high speed, low speed burst, etc)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Sgt..

Jan 14, 2017 18:10 |  #10

Try removing the tele and shoot with same settings.

Oops my bad, just re-read your post.
I see you already tried that.

I would definitely try different case settings
I found case 5 worked well for me when I had the mkiii and 70-200. 2.8
But I have a 2 x tele.

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,923 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2017 12:12 |  #11

PNPhotography wrote in post #18228597 (external link)
I could be wrong but I believe in fast shooting servo mode the SD card slows down the frame rate,unlike just using the CF card.

FWIW: I just got a 1D Mk IV, and was having similar FPS problems using the same SD card from my 1D Mk III (which had no trouble). I switched to a fast CF card, and now it will process 39 RAW files at 10fps before the buffer fills.

So nice.

$36 for a 32GB Lexar Professional 1066x was totally worth it. Now I just have the camera move the files to the SD card in one big copy, and don't need to worry about a card reader or cable. Then I just format the CF card without removing it.https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1470852&go​to=newpost

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links

5,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
FPS drops in AIservo 5dmkiii Help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.