Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Obama's photographer presents his last year in review

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 17:31 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

moose10101 wrote in post #18245409 (external link)
Or he posts those photos because they aren't the standard boring photo of a few people just sitting around talking policy, even though he has all of those for the historians.

Tell us how you would make an interesting photo of Obama dealing with the Snowden issue.

You mean..how to depict the magnitude of the political situation using still photos with subjects engaging in deep thoughts and conversations..and yet...the photographs must convey all of that??? That's the job for the best photographer in the world...not me... :) :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 17:35 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

RDKirk wrote in post #18245430 (external link)
Are none of those in the collection? I know there is a shot of the president and crew monitoring the assault on Osama Bin Laden's compound...are you sure there aren't any other "defining moments" among the 2 million images?

I don't know...is up to the White House to showcase these collections. There aren't even my photos.

Facebook (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,721 posts
Gallery: 220 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 15, 2017 18:18 |  #33

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245327 (external link)
Snowden Saga

Shot of Obama on the Phone to NSA

The negotiation with Putin to destroy the Assad chemical weapons because Obama was about to bomb Syria. Many believe that because he didn't order to go to war against Assad, his moderate rebel plan have failed.

Shot of Obama on the phone to Putin

The Euro crisis.

Shot of Obama on the phone to Merkel

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 15, 2017 18:23 |  #34

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245441 (external link)
I don't know...is up to the White House to showcase these collections. There aren't even my photos.

And here we see why editors are important...and sorely lacking these days.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 18:24 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

whiteflyer wrote in post #18245488 (external link)
Shot of Obama on the Phone to NSA

Shot of Obama on the phone to Putin

Shot of Obama on the phone to Merkel

No.....Obama with James Clapper talking and discussing.

No...Obama having a candid talk with Putin in various international meetings they have before both countries cut ties with one another.

No...With Merkel is easy....G7. Used to be G8. Meeting at Davos....

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 18:33 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

RDKirk wrote in post #18245491 (external link)
And here we see why editors are important...and sorely lacking these days.

Pete Souza isn't a newcomer...he has been around. :) I say the decision to showcase these collections "can" be political. Just saying.... Regardless..... personally, I want to see more political and historical aspects of these collections. Baby pictures? Playing with kids? Meeting with celebrities?? They are important but..... whatever...:)

Facebook (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 15, 2017 18:40 |  #37

smallick wrote in post #18233235 (external link)
Nice article and photographs in this article.

http://www.bbc.com/new​s/in-pictures-38471734 (external link)

He's got the full Year in Photos on Instagram as well
Some pretty cool (informal) photos there

https://www.instagram.​com/petesouza/?hl=en (external link)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 15, 2017 18:41 |  #38

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245494 (external link)
Pete Souza isn't a newcomer...he has been around. :) I say the decision to showcase these collections "can" be political. Just saying.... Regardless..... personally, I want to see more political and historical aspects of these collections. Baby pictures? Playing with kids? Meeting with celebrities?? They are important but..... whatever...:)

You are talking about editing.

Old school PJs don't edit, they just turn in the take.

Editing would be purpose-based and indeed, would create collections such as "Important International Moments of the Obama Presidency."

Without an editor, you don't get that. Sousa is not an editor.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,721 posts
Gallery: 220 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 15, 2017 18:52 |  #39

Pete Souza has taken the photos TooManyShots wants, just that they are not shown in that BBC gallery

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,979 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2017 19:41 |  #40

TooManyShots, you've made your point very clearly: the collection should consist entirely of politically significant shots. But that's not the only kind of shot a White House photographer is expected to take. Some people also want to see the more personal and social scenes. The subject himself, Mr. Obama, is one of those people. I don't know a reason that your preferences should guide the selection of shots to take or shots to place on Flickr. Do you?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 19:56 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

OhLook wrote in post #18245549 (external link)
TooManyShots, you've made your point very clearly: the collection should consist entirely of politically significant shots. But that's not the only kind of shot a White House photographer is expected to take. Some people also want to see the more personal and social scenes. The subject himself, Mr. Obama, is one of those people. I don't know a reason that your preferences should guide the selection of shots to take or shots to place on Flickr. Do you?

Is not my preference...hehehehe. This is what you do being the official White House photographer documenting history. The White House...the political center of the world....yeah, baby pictures and playing with kids..... yeah....

I look through the White House Flickr page. He got some political theme shots but something is lacking in those.....Frankly, not overall impressed. Maybe because Obama wasn't a big hit in foreign policy and diplomacy or maybe the opportunities were not there.

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by TooManyShots.

Jan 15, 2017 20:02 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

OhLook wrote in post #18245549 (external link)

Oh, my standard is pretty high because I was impressed by shots like these..when Willy Brandt knelt in front of the memorial for the Polish resistant fighters who died fighting the ****. That signaled the beginning of the Polish and German reconciliation.

http://www.germany.inf​o …_News/03__Brand​t__BG.html (external link)

Facebook (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,979 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2017 20:03 |  #43

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245566 (external link)
Is not my preference...hehehehe. This is what you do being the official White House photographer documenting history.

Saying "This is what you do . . ." only repeats the position you've taken in prior posts. I'm asking what support exists for that position. For example, does a job description exist somewhere that you can refer us to?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 20:07 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

OhLook wrote in post #18245574 (external link)
Saying "This is what you do . . ." only repeats the position you've taken in prior posts. I'm asking what support exists for that position. For example, does a job description exist somewhere that you can refer us to?

Whatever....that's why no one knows who is Pete Souza much.

Facebook (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,979 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 15, 2017 22:12 |  #45

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245576 (external link)
OhLook wrote in post #18245574 (external link)

Whatever....that's why no one knows who is Pete Souza much.

"Whatever" is a nonanswer. As you haven't offered any support for your position, I trust I'll be excused for not being convinced that it's right.

I can't be the only one who knew who Pete Souza was. Show of hands?

sponsored links

6,449 views & 13 likes for this thread
Obama's photographer presents his last year in review
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.