Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Obama's photographer presents his last year in review

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,530 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 15, 2017 22:20 |  #46

I knew who was long before this thread, or any other posts on POTN about him or his photography.

Sevas Tra...

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by tonylong.

Jan 15, 2017 22:28 |  #47

OhLook wrote in post #18245549 (external link)
TooManyShots, you've made your point very clearly: the collection should consist entirely of politically significant shots. But that's not the only kind of shot a White House photographer is expected to take. Some people also want to see the more personal and social scenes. The subject himself, Mr. Obama, is one of those people. I don't know a reason that your preferences should guide the selection of shots to take or shots to place on Flickr. Do you?

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245566 (external link)
Is not my preference...hehehehe. This is what you do being the official White House photographer documenting history. The White House...the political center of the world....yeah, baby pictures and playing with kids..... yeah....

I look through the White House Flickr page. He got some political theme shots but something is lacking in those.....Frankly, not overall impressed. Maybe because Obama wasn't a big hit in foreign policy and diplomacy or maybe the opportunities were not there.

There are, in fact, many photos that have been taken and published of historical and political significance. I've seen some collections, but I think the number could be overwhelming. For example, let's start with the scene at the Democratic National Convention in '08 when Hillary Clinton stood and announced her support for Obama as the Democrat candidate for President, and the overwhelming greeting of the convention for Obama! Or, let's go to Election Night '08, when the newly elected Obama stood before a crowd and accepted the results of our democracy, or flashing to the Reverend Jessie Jackson in the midst of the crowd, standing and wiping tears from his face!

And then, gosh, and then you can keep on going, maybe even some very significant photos of the First Family as they happily bathed in the "light" of the honors!

Oh, and sure, many, many photos would also cover world affairs and US affairs, more than you would want to count or even view! But they are there, so if the ones shown in this presentation don't "work" for you, hey, move on! Of course if you have a negative "viewpoint" of Obama, well, move along! Maybe you want to gawk at the picture of President Bush on a Navy ship standing under the banner that declared our "Victory" in Iraq! :)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2017 23:11 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

OhLook wrote in post #18245660 (external link)
"Whatever" is a nonanswer. As you haven't offered any support for your position, I trust I'll be excused for not being convinced that it's right.

I can't be the only one who knew who Pete Souza was. Show of hands?

<cough> https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1474027 <cough> Like I said, whatever....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,845 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 16, 2017 00:09 |  #49

TooManyShots wrote in post #18245719 (external link)
<cough> https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1474027 <cough> Like I said, whatever....:)

That cough sounds bad. You ought to have it looked at.

Seriously, though, what does the linked thread have to say that might help? Most people in it had seen Souza's work before. That's a far cry from "no one knows who is Pete Souza much."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

aezoss
514 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 16, 2017 01:12 |  #50

Souza captures moments brilliantly. He's one of the few photographers whose work makes me smile. Obama & Biden are charismatic subjects. They're refreshingly engaging and down to Earth in front of the camera.

What's telling for me is I don't see the photographer, camera or off camera lighting rig. Pete's transparent. I don't see a signature processing style nor can I tell what lens the guy uses. My attention goes straight to the subject and what's going on at that moment. To me that makes a great photographer.

Compare Souza to Adam Scotti, Justin Trudeau's photog. Scotti is absolutely present in the photos. His monochrome work feels sombre and lacking joy. Some of his colour stuff has that retro processing thing going on. Weird angles and odd framing distract from the subject. I like Scotti's pictures but I'm not certain I like how they represent our PM. JT's a young enthusiastic guy who would be better recorded in a Souza-esque fashion imo.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/adamscotti (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/adamscotti (external link)

Lee

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 16, 2017 11:37 as a reply to  @ post 18245315 |  #51

But that fact you state you cant possible know in the moment. You figure out what tells the story at the end. It was still an unnecessary crique.

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 16, 2017 11:45 |  #52

Here is a direct quote from the article,

"The editing for this project is both subjective and personal," he said.
"Yes, there are some historic moments included but mostly I was looking for behind-the-scenes moments that give people a more personal look at the president and first lady."

The selection of photos are what Mr. Souza has deemed important to him. Are they award-winning photographs? Maybe, maybe not, but I am not the one to judge them on their merit, I am not good enough to assume that role. But for me a photograph must convey a story, which Mr. Souza has done brilliantly. These are stories that no other media outlet would have ever had the opportunity to cover. They showed a human side to a man who for the last few years had to don on the mantle of maybe the most important person in the world. They presented him as someone approachable, someone friendly and neighborly. These photos transcend all political convictions.

And, of course, it really does not matter (especially to Mr. Souza) whether or not someone is impressed by his selection. It wasn't meant to impress anyone.

CC always welcome.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 16, 2017 11:48 as a reply to  @ post 18245070 |  #53

FROM THE ARTICLE:
"Mr Souza's original post contains many more photos and the background on them. He has also posted a "year in photos" round-up from the White House in previous years.
Related"

In any situation, in any room where the President of the United States is attendance (regardless of who he is), I'm pretty sure he is the least important person in the room. He has to catch everything for history's sake ... on the fly. Maybe he uses a zoom at wide angle to catch everything because thats what's called for at the moment. He has seconds to get that "moment." You're thinking like a studio photographer where you have control. He has NONE. He can't pose them, say lets do this over, hold on while I change lens. He must catch REAL candid situations quickly and not be a distraction.

Of the thousands photos taken, this is the batch that he likes. Another photographer may select another batch. It doesn't make either of them wrong, just different.

You must be hard to work for.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2017 12:18 |  #54

whiteflyer wrote in post #18245506 (external link)
Pete Souza has taken the photos TooManyShots wants, just that they are not shown in that BBC gallery

Nice.

In other news, whatever you do, do not google "BBC gallery" at work.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2017 13:44 |  #55

waterrockets wrote in post #18246161 (external link)
In other news, whatever you do, do not google "BBC gallery" at work.

Why ever not; unless of course you work for ITV.

.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 16, 2017 14:00 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #56

I believe waterrockets is being tongue-in-cheek. The gallery is a black hole for time :-)

CC always welcome.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2017 21:22 |  #57

smallick wrote in post #18246257 (external link)
I believe waterrockets is being tongue-in-cheek. The gallery is a black hole for time :-)

Clever... :P

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links

6,358 views & 13 likes for this thread
Obama's photographer presents his last year in review
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.