Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

Shufu
838 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 15, 2017 15:46 |  #4846

Any kind of film photography is expensive here.... in some cases I pay almost the same amount in shipping as the item cost........but on the bright side, it don't snow here :lol:

Saipan, where we proudly put the fun in dysfunctional every chance we get!

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,233 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 15, 2017 15:50 |  #4847

Shufu wrote in post #18245313 (external link)
........but on the bright side, it don't snow here :lol:

Lucky you. It's about a foot deep here. :-(
Film costs are probably only going to go up, but we'll see. ;-)a

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

thc1979
526 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 15, 2017 15:53 |  #4848

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18245300 (external link)
Expensive? Nah, the most expensive part is buy the camera. Then you have to buy a plate to load for every shot you plan on taking while out in the field. Then there is the cost of large format film. Next you have to either invest in the chemicals, along with other dark room accessories, or know somebody that will develop large format.
Wait, Hmm, you may have a point about expensive to start.
Once you have everything, it's hard to beat a 4x5 contact print for detail. ;-)a

Sounds like I'd love it!!

Shufu
838 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 15, 2017 15:57 as a reply to  @ Ballen Photo's post |  #4849

I have not lived in the States since the early 70's and still can't say that I miss that stuff.......

Saipan, where we proudly put the fun in dysfunctional every chance we get!

thc1979
526 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 15, 2017 16:02 |  #4850

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18245319 (external link)
Film costs are probably only going to go up, but we'll see. ;-)a

As popularity in film from both those who used to have to use it and those that think it's trendy to use film or makes them a more professional photographer, the costs might creep up a bit but I don't think by much, if at all. As long as we make it worth their while to produce it I think everyone will be happy!

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,233 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 15, 2017 16:09 |  #4851

thc1979 wrote in post #18245341 (external link)
As popularity in film from both those who used to have to use it and those that think it's trendy to use film or makes them a more professional photographer, the costs might creep up a bit but I don't think by much, if at all. As long as we make it worth their while to produce it I think everyone will be happy!

One can only hope. Say, didn't I read somewhere above in this thread that former Kodak employees are going to start producing film again in The U,K.?
I think that will make a lot of people happy. :-)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Sailor Larry. (2 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2017 16:17 |  #4852

A Speed Graphic can be acquired pretty reasonably add in a few 2nd hand film holders and maybe a light meter and you are off and running. If you already have any kind of darkroom set up then developing can be as simple as using a tray. Contact printing can be done pretty cheaply.

I'd been saving up for the 6D Mk II and had a pretty significant war chest. somewhere along the way during the wait the analog bug metastasized and the allure of digital has faded. A couple months ago I used my toy money and bought a Toyoview 45AX field camera and the assorted accessories to outfit myself to my satisfaction. I already had a reasonably well equipped darkroom set up including a Besler 45MX. Still spent less than the predicted cost of the 6D Mk II kit with lens.

And while I have sported a full beard continuously for 25+ years, none of my film cameras are made out of wood. :)

Cuypers1807
Intact?
1,726 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2017 17:43 |  #4853

thc1979 wrote in post #18245242 (external link)
And you say you haven't got a beard?!

Jokes aside I'd love to try large format but it looks an expensive thing to start....

Actually, I had a beard for a few years but not right now. Getting into LF is expensive up front but you buy a camera and lenses for life without having to upgrade every few years. Film prices are climbing but still are reasonable for most people. Processing your own film is the way to go as the cost of paying others to develop your B&W sheet film is ridiculous.

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18245300 (external link)
Expensive? Nah, the most expensive part is buy the camera. Then you have to buy a plate to load for every shot you plan on taking while out in the field. Then there is the cost of large format film. Next you have to either invest in the chemicals, along with other dark room accessories, or know somebody that will develop large format.
Wait, Hmm, you may have a point about expensive to start.
Once you have everything, it's hard to beat a 4x5 contact print for detail. ;-)a

If you like 4x5 contact prints, wait until you see 8x10 contact prints. I have also made 16x20 contact prints from digital files that look pretty good as well. I am into many of the hybrid processes. I make a lot of tintypes from digital or film inter-positives.

Joby
Flickr (external link)_________My Site (external link)___________Gear List

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 16, 2017 02:57 as a reply to  @ Ballen Photo's post |  #4854

Being in the UK the news from Kodak makes me happy!
i recently hit a bit of a lul in my digital photography so thought i would treat myself to an Olympus Trip 35 and loaded her up with a roll of Ilford Delta 400.

Off i went into the city for a bit of street shooting. The shutter is SO quiet, the camera is SO unobtrusive i could really connect with my subjects and just enjoy shooting again!

I have got about 10 shots left before i can develop it but hoping i have some nice shots. That's one thing i like but dislike about film...
There is the instant gratification from digital but then that makes shooting more disposable.
As for film there is the excitement of 'did i get that shot?'

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

thc1979
526 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by thc1979. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2017 07:14 |  #4855

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18245800 (external link)
Being in the UK the news from Kodak makes me happy!
i recently hit a bit of a lul in my digital photography so thought i would treat myself to an Olympus Trip 35 and loaded her up with a roll of Ilford Delta 400.

Off i went into the city for a bit of street shooting. The shutter is SO quiet, the camera is SO unobtrusive i could really connect with my subjects and just enjoy shooting again!

I have got about 10 shots left before i can develop it but hoping i have some nice shots. That's one thing i like but dislike about film...
There is the instant gratification from digital but then that makes shooting more disposable.
As for film there is the excitement of 'did i get that shot?'

I have an Olympus Trip but since getting an Olympus 35RC it has been retired! It is a very similar camera but with more control. I don't like waiting for the end of a roll either so I roll my own from a 30m roll, usually 10-15 at a time. I do them in 5's or 10's because I can get 10 images in the scanner. If I'm going to be using them on holiday or the like i'll do them in 40's. The potential downside of this is that you have to develop them yourself or you'll likely lose the reusable cassette, the good thing is that you have to develop them yourself :-)

The Trip / 35RC are good pocket cameras but I have seen recent threads about people considering the EOS 3, I can certainly vouch for that camera!

thc1979
526 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 16, 2017 07:36 |  #4856

Cuypers1807 wrote in post #18245450 (external link)
Getting into LF is expensive up front but you buy a camera and lenses for life without having to upgrade every few years. Film prices are climbing but still are reasonable for most people. Processing your own film is the way to go as the cost of paying others to develop your B&W sheet film is ridiculous. If you like 4x5 contact prints, wait until you see 8x10 contact prints. I have also made 16x20 contact prints from digital files that look pretty good as well. I am into many of the hybrid processes. I make a lot of tintypes from digital or film inter-positives.

You're far more advanced than me, after 25+ years I am still delighted to get any images at all on a negative! I was looking at the cost difference recently of the different formats of Tri-X and 4x5 worked out to be £2.08 per image! Compared to 16p for 135 and 60p for 120. However I suppose it may take 10 shots in 135 to get the image you want, whereas with 4x5 more care is taken at the image-taking stage. If I ever see a LF setup which is affordable for me I may give it a go!

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,233 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 16, 2017 15:43 |  #4857

I just started a thread to collect names of members that would like to have a film specific forum here,
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1474347
Just add your name in that thread please.
No guarantees, but I'm trying. :-)
Some say there are not enough of us to warrant a separate sub forum.

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 17, 2017 02:43 |  #4858

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18246353 (external link)

a 300+ page thread of film users plus many others... not enough my bum!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,863 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 17, 2017 03:22 |  #4859

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18246353 (external link)

Who has said that? Where have they said it? Many might think that, but for someone to actually come out and say it is rather overbold, in my opinion.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DThriller
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 17, 2017 11:13 |  #4860

Hey question for you nuts:

I shot tx400 and developed with R5 monobath. I ended up with a squiggly line textured pattern on the image. I was wondering if that is normal or possibly something I can fix with a differnt developer or something. Below is the full image and under is cropped in. Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

sponsored links

802,204 views & 1,069 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.