Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

sploo
premature adulation
2,617 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 16, 2017 05:41 |  #5206

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18245100 (external link)
When I look at your exposure data (F9, 1/400, ISO 500) what I see is something that is half pregnant - i.e. not a fast enough SS at that FL with that pixel density and that distance on a small detailed object to 90% of the time get it tack sharp, and not a scenario I mentioned above trying for ISO 100/200 and accepting that 1 in 30 might work out. As an example your (F9,1/400, ISO 500) is equivalent to (F8, 1/800, ISO 800) - a SS more closer to getting a much higher hit rate (but still not 90% in my opinion) - or maybe even better for tack sharpness (F8, 1/1250, ISO 1250).

Expanding on the above, on ISO: don't be afraid to err on the high side (as long as it's not clipping highlights you wanted). In general, it will be no worse (and sometimes better) to have a slightly too bright image (as a result of a higher ISO) and reduce the brightness in post, vs choosing a lower ISO and increasing the brightness in post. It's a result of the various sources of noise in the camera - whereby increasing the ISO in-camera will boost some, but not all noise. Increasing the brightness in post will increase the whole signal - including any and all sources of noise that are contained in that signal.

I've found instances where, say, I've increased the ISO level one full stop, and the shutter speed by 2/3 of a stop (to ensure I freeze the action), and got a sharp image that's 1/3 stop over exposed. As long as I've not lost critical highlights, once reduced by 1/3 stop in post the result will likely be better than a potentially blurry image at the former settings.

I also find I tend to lift shadows in a lot of images, so having a slightly overexposed image in-camera helps greatly with the final quality. Note that this is less of an issue with the newest Canon bodes (80D, 5D4, 1Dx2) as there's much less penalty for underexposure (but the above thoughts about shutter speed are still valid).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,214 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2017 09:59 |  #5207

So I have been thinking about this lens for a while, now I have been renting it from Borrow Lenses for the last week! Now my next decision is Adorama Camera or B and H Photo! This lens appears to be as sharp as my 70-200 2.8, which I love! Probably selling a 400L 5.6 in the near future!

Black capped Chickadee:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/738/31505314974_750eecfc78_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Q11Y​vL  (external link) BlackCappedChickadeeOn​Branch_fromOutside_WM-6839 (external link) by sjc from vt (external link), on Flickr

And a very cold Bluejay! This one was through a double pane glass window.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/391/31536617613_6aee99c738_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Q3Mp​Gr  (external link) Bluejay_BabyItsCold_WM​-7319 (external link) by sjc from vt (external link), on Flickr

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,357 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 16, 2017 12:58 |  #5208

Great shots!

SJC from VT wrote in post #18246014 (external link)
... Probably selling a 400L 5.6 in the near future!

This lens forced me to sell both the old 100-400mm (expected) AND the 400mm prime, (unexpected)
It's better at everything except weight vs. the prime, and zoom vs. the "trombone" .

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bjbsav
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2017 14:13 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #5209

I am in the same or similar situation and want to buy one. When I get one I will be selling my V1. It is a good sign that this lens isn't on the market here often. I hope to join the VII family soon. :-)

My name is Ben from Savannah, GA
Canon cameras and glass
Facebook - Brengman Photography (external link) My Website (external link)

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,214 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2017 14:30 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #5210

Thanks Jake! No doubt I will be ordering this week, my rental must be postmarked tomorrow!

7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by recrisp.

Jan 16, 2017 14:55 |  #5211

So I have been thinking about this lens for a while, now I have been renting it from Borrow Lenses for the last week! Now my next decision is Adorama Camera or B and H Photo! This lens appears to be as sharp as my 70-200 2.8, which I love! Probably selling a 400L 5.6 in the near future!

Black capped Chickadee:

With images like this you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't get it. :)
Really good job on this, those kind of pictures really speak to me, I have always admired your shots anyway, with you buying this will just make us all happier. heheh

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 16, 2017 15:33 |  #5212

Black capped Chickadee:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Q11Y​vL  (external link) BlackCappedChickadeeOn​Branch_fromOutside_WM-6839 (external link) by sjc from vt (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Q3Mp​Gr  (external link) Bluejay_BabyItsCold_WM​-7319 (external link) by sjc from vt (external link), on Flickr

As you know Sandy you will love it, I would say its the most popular lens out there right now. Seems everyone is carrying one these days. To bad we are not closer.. I have two on my desk I have not been using.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,214 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2017 18:16 |  #5213

recrisp wrote in post #18246301 (external link)
With images like this you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't get it. :)
Really good job on this, those kind of pictures really speak to me, I have always admired your shots anyway, with you buying this will just make us all happier. heheh

Randy

Thank you Randy! That is an awesome compliment! Guess I better start posting more often!

Pondrader wrote in post #18246341 (external link)
As you know Sandy you will love it, I would say its the most popular lens out there right now. Seems everyone is carrying one these days. To bad we are not closer.. I have two on my desk I have not been using.

Thanks for the response Jeff! How did you end up with so many copies? Someday, I may have to get one of my photography buddies to go on a road trip with me. You would make a great guide, no doubt! Just before I packed up my Rental Lens, I took this shot of a Black capped Chickadee. The photo is basically straight out of the camera with slight sharpening applied, and it's hand held which is nearly impossible for me with the 400 non IS!

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/707/31544467623_fc219362a6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Q4tD​er  (external link) ChickadeeStraightOutOf​Camera_WM-7496 (external link) by sjc from vt (external link), on Flickr

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Gallery: 1032 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 16, 2017 19:51 |  #5214

It's been a few weeks now since I parted with the 100-400 II, and I absolutely miss it. It's probably the best "companion" lens, it does a ton of great things: stunning IQ, a sweet MFD that allows for near-macro shots, 400mm for birds and wildlife, takes the 1.4x like a duck to water, rock solid IS, fast AF. I could argue that it is Canon's best lens.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 16, 2017 20:20 |  #5215

MatthewK wrote in post #18246591 (external link)
It's been a few weeks now since I parted with the 100-400 II, and I absolutely miss it. It's probably the best "companion" lens, it does a ton of great things: stunning IQ, a sweet MFD that allows for near-macro shots, 400mm for birds and wildlife, takes the 1.4x like a duck to water, rock solid IS, fast AF. I could argue that it is Canon's best lens.

lol who are you trying to convince Matt LMAO

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Gallery: 1032 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 16, 2017 20:32 |  #5216

Pondrader wrote in post #18246626 (external link)
lol who are you trying to convince Matt LMAO

No one at all, I just enjoy talking about the lens with everyone :-) Maybe I have a little bit of regret, it's hard to part with a near-perfect piece of kit.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 16, 2017 20:53 |  #5217

SJC from VT wrote in post #18246492 (external link)
Thank you Randy! That is an awesome compliment! Guess I better start posting more often!

Thanks for the response Jeff! How did you end up with so many copies? Someday, I may have to get one of my photography buddies to go on a road trip with me. You would make a great guide, no doubt! Just before I packed up my Rental Lens, I took this shot of a Black capped Chickadee. The photo is basically straight out of the camera with slight sharpening applied, and it's hand held which is nearly impossible for me with the 400 non IS!
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Q4tD​er  (external link) ChickadeeStraightOutOf​Camera_WM-7496 (external link) by sjc from vt (external link), on Flickr

Nice Sandy, You might be right about the Guide thing. But you would need a little time to get it all lol

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,954 posts
Gallery: 785 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 19, 2017 12:34 |  #5218

Snow & a bit of sunshine made for nice light today

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,954 posts
Gallery: 785 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 19, 2017 12:58 |  #5219

This cat kept an eye out for the birdies too

HOSTED PHOTO

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

fiveohmike
478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2017 12:03 |  #5220

Well after reading this entire thread, I just lightened my wallet and purchased the 100-400L II. It will be here this evening. Weather looks terrible so I will only be able to play inside, but cant wait to get this out to the zoo or something easy for the first outing. Will compare the images between the 5D Mark IV and 7D Mark II

Also, has everyone been doing any MFA or is the lens pretty close to spot on out of the box?

5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 100-400L II | 24-105L | 50MM f/1.4 | 85MM f/1.8 | Sigma 1.4x TC | 580EX II | 430EX II |

sponsored links

4,997,412 views & 41,220 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.