Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 16 Jan 2017 (Monday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Film Poll

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,876 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 17, 2017 01:15 |  #16

I will put my name in this hat too.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 17, 2017 02:42 |  #17

i'm in, infact i sold all my digital kit to go the way of film!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2017 09:01 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18246910 (external link)

Talk about radical.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,002 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 17, 2017 09:42 |  #19

Now "that's" what I call dedication. ;-)a

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

PhotosGuy
75,793 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by PhotosGuy.

Jan 17, 2017 10:58 |  #20

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18247131 (external link)
Now "that's" what I call dedication. ;-)a

He probably hasn't yet encountered the full wake-up benefit of an atmosphere of acid fix in the morning yet! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 17, 2017 15:17 |  #21

I know someone else who has done this. For him, there was/is a fascination with the film-based process, but he had not ever done film before. I couldn't relate because I had already gone through it and wasn't any longer interested in it. In fact, I've run into many people that have an interest in film that haven't done it.

And I'm not saying that it's bad or lesser or anything like that. Likewise, there are things I haven't done yet that are often wonder about or even find fascinating. And my interest in film was genuine and lasted for decades. And I still enjoy sheet film. I'm just past pursuing 35mm film and C-41. Right now, I'm making pretty huge assumptions, but I think the questions that come from 35mm (film) users would be different than the sheet film folks.

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

sjones
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 17, 2017 20:10 |  #22

Definitely worth a consideration. I only shoot film as well, and the medium does not appear to be disappearing anytime soon.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

thc1979
524 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 18, 2017 02:42 |  #23

In fairness to the forum I just noticed it does say "DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUMS" at the top!!!

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 18, 2017 03:33 |  #24

But as we all know the forum has developed (excuse the pun) from a primarily Canon forum to encompas all brands and formats.

It was a very drastic move to be honest but i felt like the digital age was killing my passion. I have been through so many digital devices but i have only had 3 film cameras and to be honest they all do what i want and nothing more, nothing less.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,876 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 18, 2017 13:30 |  #25

thc1979 wrote in post #18248027 (external link)
In fairness to the forum I just noticed it does say "DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUMS" at the top!!!

and....

we all convert the film images to digital at some point. We have to share them and while they can be printed, if we was to share them on the internet they become digital

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

thc1979
524 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 18, 2017 14:41 |  #26

Mark0159 wrote in post #18248449 (external link)
and....

we all convert the film images to digital at some point. We have to share them and while they can be printed, if we was to share them on the internet they become digital

I agree completely and would love a film section.

dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by dasmith232 with reason 'Fixed grammar'.

Jan 18, 2017 15:33 |  #27

Mark0159 wrote in post #18248449 (external link)
and....

Hmm.

So in a digital camera, that is an ALL digital camera, it's analog all the way from the subject, through many layers of glass, and an aperture and getting past the shutter before it reaches the focal plane and becomes digital for the first time.

In a film camera, it's analog for all of the same steps plus now including the focal plane. Then some other external (to the camera) magic happens and it's digital.

Then there's the whole world of post-processing, which is (the same) digital steps for both.

One might argue that the digital path vs. the analog path maybe isn't all that much different...?

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

thc1979
524 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 18, 2017 16:01 |  #28

dasmith232 wrote in post #18248542 (external link)
Hmm.

So in a digital camera, that is an ALL digital camera, it's analog all the way from the subject, through many layers of glass, and an aperture and getting past the shutter before it reaches the focal plane and becomes digital for the first time.

In a film camera, it's analog for all of the same steps plus now including the focal plane. Then some other external (to the camera) magic happens and it's digital.

Then there's the whole world of post-processing, which is (the same) digital steps for both.

One might argue that the digital path length vs. the analog path length maybe isn't all that different...?

It may only be different to some who think one is superior to the other. The end result is always (or almost always) an image!

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 18, 2017 21:59 |  #29

I shot film for over 30 years and honestly have very few fond memories of film. But that's just me, quite a few people here like shooting film and deserve a dedicated film section. So I vote a resounding YES.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 21, 2017 00:25 |  #30

I just became the happy owner of an EOS 1V.. it has "new film camera smell" ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

6,789 views & 10 likes for this thread
Film Poll
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.