Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jan 2017 (Monday) 02:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Umbrella or softbox size for full body shots?

Jocce
264 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 16, 2017 02:55 |  #1

Whats size umbrella or softbox will I need to use a Hot Shoe flash for a standing full body shot?

/Jocce

Feel free to correct my English. I'm from Sweden ;)

My Website (external link)
Fotointresse.se (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 16, 2017 03:35 |  #2

Can you further explain your setup please? are you planning on using the flash on camera or off? How many lights are you using? Just the one? This shot was done with 3 Profoto B1 monolights. The key light was in a 5 foot octobox and it still did not fully light her whole body evenly. I had to lighten her legs a bit in post.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 16, 2017 03:43 |  #3

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18245812 (external link)
Can you further explain your setup please? are you planning on using the flash on camera or off? How many lights are you using? Just the one? This shot was done with 3 Profoto B1 monolights. The key light was in a 5 foot octobox and it still did not fully light her whole body evenly. I had to lighten her legs a bit in post.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jarvis Creative Studios in
./showthread.php?p=182​45812&i=i136328853
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

I'm thinking Off Camera.

And If I would use only one light, how big would the modifier need to be to lighten fairly even over all of the body, head to toes?

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 16, 2017 04:54 |  #4

Jocce wrote in post #18245813 (external link)
I'm thinking Off Camera.

And If I would use only one light, how big would the modifier need to be to lighten fairly even over all of the body, head to toes?

/Jocce

I would say as large as you can. 5' octabox is my go to. Or you could look into a parabolic umbrella like the photeck softlighter. But that's with a studio strobe. I don't recommend using a single speed light to try and light a 5' modifier.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

smaeda
Goldmember
1,242 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by smaeda.

Jan 16, 2017 15:46 |  #5

The answer depends on how soft you want the shadows. Technically with enough distance and proper w/s, you could light the entire body with a very small modifier. If you double the distance between subject and light source, it illuminates a surface area four times greater than the one before.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
Sony A7iii, Irix 15mm f2.4, Samyang 35mm f1.4, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, Sony FE 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 L, Sigma 135mm f1.8

RicoTudor
613 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by RicoTudor.

Jan 16, 2017 19:14 |  #6

smaeda wrote in post #18246363 (external link)
Technically with enough distance and proper w/s, you could light the entire body with a very small modifier. If you double the distance between subject and light source, it illuminates a surface area four times greater than the one before.

Exactly. If used up close, a light needs to be the same size as the subject to be uniform, while a point source will suffer inverse-square falloff. At a greater distance, either large or small light source will serve if the distribution of the source itself is uniform. So, a bare bulb can uniformly light a standing portrait. There are, of course, other issues like efficiency, stray light, and hardness of light. Two well-known lighting schemes for a uniformly-lit standing portrait: strip SB equal in height to the subject (soft), and dish/projector (hard).

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,297 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 16, 2017 19:39 |  #7

A shoot through umbrella casts a much larger light than a softbox of the same size, and costs a lot less.

However, you end up putting light all over the place, and the light is not as even.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 17, 2017 09:44 |  #8

For softer shadows.. 5 foot diameter umbrella is a good start, 40 inch diameter, or there abouts can be used, but have some darkness and fall off issues towards the feet, and those are better for waist up shots.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 18, 2017 01:29 |  #9

Thank you for all the input :)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

mihazero
161 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 18, 2017 21:32 |  #10

I own a 7 foot white (sort of) parabolic shoot thru umbrella that i use mostly for whole figure shoots.

I not too distant future i plan on getting something like Fotodiox Pro 88" Parabolic Reflector Umbrella Kit, or similar ... basicly a Broncolor 220 on budget.

Light is amazing and nothing out there beats what this light modifier does.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 19, 2017 19:33 |  #11

Get a huge 5in1 reflector (use the translucent inside part) or a scrim. Or hang a bathroom curtain. Or a sheer curtain. Hang this this near your subject (just out of camera view) and aim whichever modifier you chose at it.

Adjust relative distances to get the size you want.

Not soft or even enough? Add another one between the light and the first one and shoot through both.

Or get a huge piece of foam core or other large white surface (Home Depot or art supply store) and bounce the light off of it. You can add scrims or shower curtains between this and your subject if desired.

It's all size relative to subject. For soft=>Bigger. Or closer. Or both.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 20, 2017 02:08 |  #12

5ft Octa for sure, or 3ft with enough space to move the light back/up. Have also used whatever the large AB rectangular softbox is (I think 3x5'?) and their PLM's. Space and how much power you have available will be the biggest issue.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
981 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 20, 2017 08:00 |  #13

You can illuminate a standing person with a bare bulb or any size modifier. It all depends on you, your goals, and look you are trying to achieve.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 20, 2017 15:30 |  #14

Angmo wrote in post #18250181 (external link)
You can illuminate a standing person with a bare bulb or any size modifier. It all depends on you, your goals, and look you are trying to achieve.

What you wrote is technically true, but I'm not sure how it adds value to the conversation....

I think we have a sense the OP wants soft light, since they mentioned a softbox or umbrella. They also stated "And If I would use only one light, how big would the modifier need to be to lighten fairly even over all of the body, head to toes?" Which gives us an idea that fall-off is not desireable for their purpose. From this we can conclude that "bare bulb or any size modifier" is not going to help them achieve their goal.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
981 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Angmo.

Jan 20, 2017 19:32 |  #15

F2Bthere wrote in post #18250591 (external link)
What you wrote is technically true, but I'm not sure how it adds value to the conversation....

I think we have a sense the OP wants soft light, since they mentioned a softbox or umbrella. They also stated "And If I would use only one light, how big would the modifier need to be to lighten fairly even over all of the body, head to toes?" Which gives us an idea that fall-off is not desireable for their purpose. From this we can conclude that "bare bulb or any size modifier" is not going to help them achieve their goal.

One size does not fit all. One answer does not answer all.

Expand your boundaries. Analyze them.

Perhaps you could try evenly illuminating a standing subject with a bare bulb and appreciate it can be done. Analyze the look compared to a fully diffused 4x6 softbox and discuss the merits of all options. Toss in an umbrella and so forth...

Beats criticism.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

sponsored links

4,421 views & 6 likes for this thread
Umbrella or softbox size for full body shots?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.