Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 18:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PhotoBacon Marketing

thomasjpello
72 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 19, 2017 18:41 |  #1

Hi All,

I was just talking to a representative that called us from PhotoBacon. They are offering mentoring/coaching for a significant price.
We desperately need help in our marketing. So we're thinking of taking this program.

Is the program is solid or is it a scam?
Anyone have experience this company/program before?

Please help, we have 24hrs to decide.

Thank you in advance :)

Amateurs worry about equipment, Professionals worry about time, Masters worry about light. ~ Anonymous

sponsored links
paintedlotus
374 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 19, 2017 19:00 |  #2

Hmm, anyone trying to pressure you into working with them in a short turnaround window doesn't sound like someone who is worth working with.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,844 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 19, 2017 19:20 |  #3

thomasjpello wrote in post #18249754 (external link)

If requiring you to decide in a hurry was their idea, it's a bad sign.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 19, 2017 19:30 |  #4

It's BACON!!!

How can you go wrong?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 19, 2017 19:59 |  #5

Anyone who puts a time limit on something like that would make me question the legitimacy.

If they could deliver the results to justify the cost you wouldn't be here asking what we think.

I read their PDF thing, they're good at showing you how to write click bait posts.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 19, 2017 20:11 |  #6

Walk away and don't look back.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 19, 2017 21:26 |  #7

thomasjpello wrote in post #18249754 (external link)

That is an instant "no" - all day every day.

This sounds like a classic pressure sales tactic and good companies don't need to use pressure sales tactics. If this course is any good then they will be offering it again so you don't need to rush to sign up. Spend the necessary time to research the company. Better yet spend the time researching the market - look for other companies that offer this service and compare them.

While doing that post here about what you have tried, marketing wise and what your business needs are. There are people here who will be able to offer a lot of helpful advise.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,589 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Jan 19, 2017 22:02 |  #8

Pressure tactics do not necessarily mean a scam. It's a valid tactic used to make people buy NOW, rather than 'some time later' –especially when the 'some time later' tends not to materialise neither later nor ever.

That being said, I'd rather hire a marketing assistant (i.e. salesman) on a casual basis, than to pay for mentoring/coaching. The saying 'those who can't, teach' comes to mind. At the end of the day, the 'mentors' get to pay their bills punctually, whilst the onus of making sales for YOUR business is still on you.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jan 20, 2017 05:51 |  #9

Alveric wrote in post #18249925 (external link)
Pressure tactics do not necessarily mean a scam.

Disagree. Impulse buying is a HUGE benefit when selling retail online, like Amazon. When somebody want a widget, clicks on it, and can instantly put it in a cart and purchase it, it encourages impulse buying.

But that's retail. When dealing with a service, impulse is not the driving factor, pressure is.

I vote with the others - run as fast as you can.

But with a twist. Contact them and tell them you're interested. But you would like a few days to investigate their track record and ask that the offer be extended for that. If their reply is "Sure. We have a good record, and are proud of it. Contact us when you're ready" that's a good sign. But the opposite reaction - continued pressure - would be bad and a definite sign to run.

Website (external link) |

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2017 06:39 |  #10

I guess I can't believe there even be any consideration of this 'offer'. Someone calls on the phone and identifies themselves as PhotoBacon? :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

MySony
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Jan 20, 2017 08:12 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

This exact post has been made on other forums by other usernames.

It's just PhotoBacon out looking for new customers, ignore them.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,844 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 20, 2017 09:12 |  #12

MySony wrote in post #18250194 (external link)

Posting about themselves and bringing forth replies that call them scammers? That'd be a pretty poor self-promotion tactic.

The OP joined this forum almost seven years ago. Maybe he made the same post on other forums.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

MySony
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Jan 20, 2017 09:23 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

This was posted on the PPA forum, and then OP deleted the post when the same question was asked.

Not suspicious at all...

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 2 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Jan 20, 2017 12:38 |  #14

MySony wrote in post #18250194 (external link)

LOL - the OP has been posting here for over 4 year. You on the other hand set up a new account just to put this company down. I know which one I believe.

Note: I just want to clarify that I'm not endorsing the company under discussion, I am supporting the OP and believe that they posted a legitimate question. As stated above I think the company are using pressure tactics and that the OP should not rush into anything.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2017 12:43 |  #15

Was just about to post what you did Dan...

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

sponsored links

4,670 views & 13 likes for this thread
PhotoBacon Marketing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.