Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,572 posts
Gallery: 358 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 21, 2017 10:00 |  #1606

My 50 1.4 was all.over the place...on my 7D it was front focusing and on my 5D2 it was back focusing...the guy that bought it said it was dead on with his camera...so MFA is a good thing...a PITA though....

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
manderson
202 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 21, 2017 11:11 |  #1607

George Zip wrote in post #18251091 (external link)
I don't think it's marketing hype. I have never seen it as a headline feature and also Nikon have it.

Micro is the operative word. We are talking very small increments. It is just to adjust for manufacturing tolerances. I like the fact you can calibrate it yourself as opposed to have to send it to a tech.

I'll buy that. I should not have used the "marketing hype" expression. What I do believe is some people get hung up on the MFA feature and use it far beyond the intended purpose, so I agree with you 100 percent when you say "micro is the operative word." I am thankful I have been very lucky with all of my lenses.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 21, 2017 11:12 |  #1608

manderson wrote in post #18251332 (external link)
What I do believe is some people get hung up on the MFA feature and use it far beyond the intended purpose.

I'll back that 100%.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

jay125
on the happy gas
10,661 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2017 11:30 |  #1609

TRhoads wrote in post #18251278 (external link)
My 50 1.4 was all.over the place...on my 7D it was front focusing and on my 5D2 it was back focusing...the guy that bought it said it was dead on with his camera...so MFA is a good thing...a PITA though....

I've owned 2 copies of the 50 1.4, and neither of them played nice with my cameras. Inconsistent with or without mfa. Canon's 50 1.8 STM is the best I've owned. No adjustment needed on any of my bodies, and priced just right. None of my lenses needed adjustment on my 5D3, and now on my 5D4.

feedback

gear list

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 21, 2017 12:31 |  #1610

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18251029 (external link)
According to Canon, I should not have to do that for any of my lenses. The lenses all work fine on my 5D3 with no micro-adjustment so I am not willing to mess around with them.

My 200 F2 IS was perfect without MFA on my 5D3 but on my 5D4 requires a +12. In fact many of my lenses require something crazy on the 5D4 but once I dialed them in they are solid and consistent.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,073 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 21, 2017 13:52 |  #1611

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18251042 (external link)
With respect, it is not a given that you will not need to AFMA lenses. Either there was a miscommunication between you and Canon, or whomever you spoke to was wrong. Lens and camera body combinations are not exact. Although a lot of the time, acceptable results can be had without any adjustment, AFMA is often required to get the best performance.

My last pair of 5DmkIII's required unique AFMA settings for each of my lenses. Not only that, but there was no correlation between the values for each camera. A particular lens may have needed a positive adjustment on one camera and a negative on the other. And, to my surprise, another lens may have needed to be adjusted the same to work best on both bodies. There are too many fine tolerances at play in the AF system.

My 5DmkIV has it's own unique set of AFMA numbers for each of my lenses. Yes, many lenses will work just fine out of the box. But some lenses behave just like your first example photo in your post with your example images. All but one of my lenses has needed AFMA to perform at it's best. I have had 15 (maybe more) Canon L, or Sigma Art lenses over the past five years and only one has not improved with AMFA.

Your Camera has AFMA so you can remove fine inconstancies in production tolerances. You mention that you are "not willing to mess around with them". I am not saying you should be the one to do it. However, please know that there is a good chance that AFMA adjustment will fix your issues. It is possible, even likely, that your camera is well within production tolerances and behaves like all the other 5DmkIV's out there.

Adjusting AFMA does not make any physical changes to any of your gear. It is just a way of telling your camera that when it thinks it is in focus, it is actually not. In your fist photo you posted aboive, you may want to try adjusting your AFMA value to -3, or even -5 (for that lens, either your 24-70, or your 50) to see if your images improve. At any time, you can change the setting back to zero.

Deciding on an AFMA number is a bit like finding be best prescription for a new set of glasses. A particular lens and camera combination may be a bit nearsighted, or a bit farsighted (just an analogy) and setting the AFMA number correctly is like giving the AF system a pair of glasses that restores it's perfect 20/20 vision. You can always take the glasses off if it's not working.

Either way, best of luck sorting it all out.

Thank you for the lengthy help:-) okay, so I tried adjusting both directions to -8 thru +8 on my 50mm lens. I did not not see any changes in the photos with either direction. I then decided not to fiddle with any other lenses as I am not really confident in what I am doing. I think I will just go ahead & send the camera in since it had a faulty circuit board from the start. I just think it odd that with 8 other camera bodies, I have never had to adjust any of my lenses. I started with a 20D years ago & progressed upwards ever since without any issues.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Maureen ­ Souza
33,073 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 21, 2017 13:53 as a reply to  @ post 18251057 |  #1612

In the manual it does state that you should not have to use this function......

5DMK4
7DMK2

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,312 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 21, 2017 14:20 |  #1613

In either case, it sounds like Canon and some of us are in agreement that yours is clearly showing more "deviation" than a good camera should. So yeah, let Canon deal with it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 21, 2017 14:25 |  #1614

Loving this body so far!

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 21, 2017 15:38 |  #1615

I have 2 50 1.4 and both are sharp and never gave me grief. I have the 24 and 40 pancakes. I will be working with them on my SL1 and 7D2. My 24-70 II is constant on my 5DIV. I shot a whole wedding last Saturday. I didn't take 2 bodies with me as I could not carry both and my bags in the rain. It is not what I do usually because the SD or CF cards can always corrupt and eggs in one basket is never something I do normally. I took 3 cards with me, shot one set changed, shot another and another. I am grateful the 5DIV never disappoints. Pictures were amazing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My friend edited a little for me. But the combo is just too good to be true. I am very happy.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Tillariina
29 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 21, 2017 15:46 |  #1616

HOSTED PHOTO

5D Mark IV + Tamron 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 SP DI VC USD.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital paradise.

Jan 21, 2017 15:49 |  #1617

I had to crop quite a bit. Gonna go back on sunny day. I know where it lives :-)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsvjrabohc.jp​g~original (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpspoxf7ovx.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 21, 2017 15:51 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #1618

Great catch!

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,386 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 21, 2017 16:21 |  #1619

A couple of shots of my mates from training last night

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Maureen ­ Souza
33,073 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 21, 2017 19:23 |  #1620

Thanks for all the input....the camera is on its way to Virginia. I included a 2GB card with sample photos from 4 different lenses. Thank God my 5D3 is still with me.

5DMK4
7DMK2

sponsored links

1,621,870 views & 26,242 likes for this thread
-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.