Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 13:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you like to see in a photo vlog?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,679 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 21, 2017 13:31 |  #1

Starting with an upcoming trip I'm going to start experimenting with taking more video instead of just photos. Planning to put together a documentary of sorts of my travels for friends and family, but also thought it could be an interesting idea to try out a vlog series.

I'm focused on landscape photography and am inspiried by the great videos from thomas heaton. What would you guys like to see in a (landscape/nature) photography vlog? What DON'T you like?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,562 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Jan 21, 2017 13:52 |  #2

Some of us may have never seen or heard the term "vlog" before.

I never had until I read this thread, so I had to use Google to find out what a "vlog" is.

Here is what I found on Wikipedia, posted here to save others the trouble of having to open a new window and wait for the Google page to load:

A video blog or video log, usually shortened to vlog, is a form of blog for which the medium is video, and is a form of web television.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 21, 2017 14:25 |  #3

What's the difference between a vlog and youtube videos?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,679 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 21, 2017 14:41 |  #4

chauncey wrote in post #18251501 (external link)
What's the difference between a vlog and youtube videos?

Yes, youtube video. Youtube is just where the vlog would be posted

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 21, 2017 15:29 |  #5

I am glad Tom provided a definition for vlog. I thought it was a typo. I obviously can't comment on what I like or don't like about something I just discovered the existence of.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,562 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner. (9 edits in all)

Jan 21, 2017 15:36 |  #6

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18251440 (external link)
What would you guys like to see in a (landscape/nature) photography vlog?

I would like to see a lot of interaction between the video that you shoot on-site and maps, graphics, and other supporting visuals. For instance, if you are traveling in a national park and showing video that you shot whilst driving or hiking thru the park, I like it if that is prefaced with really good, clear views of graphic maps that show the area surrounding the park.

In short, I like it when the filmmaker provides the viewer with a really good, in-depth understanding of the entire surrounding area, and then moves in to cover the specific locations that were given primary focus.

Also, the first time you mention a place name, you should flash to a map that clearly shows that place, with enough surrounding context so that the viewer may readily know exactly where that place is in relation to the overall area that you are featuring.

Sourcing in some arial footage or arial stills would also be a very good way to show some greater context for the areas that you highlight.

Also, you can incorporate brief interviews or commentary form people that you meet at the sites. Perhaps a park ranger would speak into the camera for a moment or so whilst explaining the geologic significance of the scene before you. Or perhaps you could ask a wildlife photographer something about the animals he was just photographing. Or when you encounter hikers or motorists or campers you can just ask them what it is they are doing there, or what it is that they hope to do while they are there.You never know when a person that you solicit will be well spoken, and contribute something useful and compelling. Shoot 100 or so impromptu "interviews" and you just may end up with 5 or 6 that you can incorporate into the final cut!

Adding to what I just wrote, I would like to emphasize that I really like to see footage that includes experts, or authorities, on the topic being shown. Many such people are readily accessible and would be more than glad to speak into your camera for a minute or two. Just be sure to get their name and title. There are a lot of park rangers, biologists, geologists, curators, business owners, craftsman, and graduate students doing research out in the field and at visitor centers and museums and iconic businesses. They are a wealth of information and their presence in your videos can add a lot of perceived credibility to your work.

Mix it up! Show each area in overcast conditions, clear conditions, backlit, frontlit, at noon, at sunrise, at sunset. Show some stuff real close up. Show some stuff from real far away. Show it in between. Shoot from the valleys, looking up at the ridge tops......then show it from the ridge top, looking down at the valley that you were just in. Remember that viewers today get bored and lose interest very easily. Make sure that every few seconds they are getting an entirely new, different aesthetic. Many popular music videos do a great job of this - study them to see how camera angles, scenes, lighting, subject matter, etc change every few seconds. There is no good reason why in-depth travel documentaries can't be done in much the same way.

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18251440 (external link)
What DON'T you like?

I don't like it when the footage consists of long clips that all pretty much look the same. See the last paragraph above (the paragraph starting with "mix it up").

I also don't like it when narration is done in a "lazy" manner. Sound deeply passionate about the things you are discussing. Use perfect annunciation. Be conscious of the way you are projecting your voice. Review your narrated footage and critique your narration honestly, then re-shoot the scenes, as needed. Think carefully about how you are going to say the things you are going to say. Do some wordsmithing so that when the red light is on you already know how you are going to phrase things, and then the words will come out smoothly, without any amateurish pauses, stop-starts, or sentences that just kind of trail off without ever finishing the thought.

Yet another thing I don't like is when people who create content assume that their viewership is familiar with words or ideas that they are not familiar with. Do not assume that other people know terms that are relatively new. For instance, avoid using a term such as "vlog" without first explaining what a vlog is. Many folks are a little resistant to new words and changes in the way that our language is used, so keep that in mind and try to stick to traditional phrases and words that have been in use for quite some time, or are of such widespread usage that everyone knows what they mean. If you do use a relatively new term, take the time to explain what it is for those who may have never heard of it before. You really don't want to make people pause your video so that they can get on Google to see what the heck you are talking about, do you?

I would also avoid using local place names without first explaining to people what each place is. For instance, if you were doing a video on Yellowstone National Park, and you mention that you are on your way to Silver Gate, then the first time that you mention Silver Gate you should say that it is a tiny town just outside the Park's northeast entrance. Otherwise, people won't know if it is a town, a service complex, a picnic area, a campground, or a geological feature (such as a gap between two silver-colored rock ridges). Ditto for Yellowstone (it is a small picnic area along the N.E. Entrance Road). Ditto for Roosevelt (it is the junction of the N.E. road and the Grand Loop road). Ditto for Sheepeater Cliffs (it is a geologic feature with a parking area). If you don't tell people what each place is, they will have no convenient way of knowing what you are talking about.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Jan 21, 2017 15:44 |  #7

I have to agree with Tom, again (darn it! :) ). Pay a lot of attention to your voice-overs. Script them, if necessary.

I had to take an online class a few years ago. The topic was mildly interesting: Nutrition and Health. The speaker wandered all over the place, distracted by her own thought process, her bird, the doorbell, the phone, her husband, and whatever else. Then she would seemingly randomly pick up in the middle of some other random topic. I HATED THAT CLASS!

If you post a vlog with voice-overs done this poorly, I will hunt you down and make you watch home movies of my entire family on vacation at some state park in north-eastern Indiana. Vintage 1960s, no sound, you get the picture!

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2017 16:10 |  #8

I suggest that you do something different and not begin vlog entries with video of you getting your camera bag out of the trunk of your vehicle.

Anyone who's watched photography vlogs has already seen that 1,001 times too many. :lol:

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA.

Jan 21, 2017 17:25 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18251558 (external link)
I am glad Tom provided a definition for vlog. I thought it was a typo. I obviously can't comment on what I like or don't like about something I just discovered the existence of.

Tom, video blogging (vlog) has been around (officially) since 2000. Here's a bit of a history of it for those who like to understand where things come from.

https://prezi.com …y-of-the-vlog-video-blog/ (external link)

In this ThreadStarters case the blog includes photos and videos - which sounds pretty cool if put together right and scripted properly.

Tom R has left a pretty substantial list of VLOG Requirements above - most of which I agree with. Great input Tom.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 21, 2017 18:07 |  #10

Reading these posts makes it sound like a PITA.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2017 18:24 |  #11

chauncey wrote in post #18251710 (external link)

Oh yes! A good vlog is a pain in all body parts the head not excluded. The excellent responses here just begin to outline the complexities.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,562 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 21, 2017 18:27 |  #12

chauncey wrote in post #18251710 (external link)

I think that for most things, the higher degree of excellence that one pursues, the more hard work - and pain in the ass - it is.

It seems as though the OP wants to do this video thing to a high degree of excellence, for she actually cared enough to start a post asking for our likes and dislikes - that doesn't seem like something that someone would do if they just wanted to make an easy, casual go of it.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA.

Jan 21, 2017 18:33 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18251731 (external link)
I think that for most things, the higher degree of excellence that one pursues, the more hard work - and pain in the ass - it is.

It seems as though the OP wants to do this video thing to a high degree of excellence, for she actually cared enough to start a post asking for our likes and dislikes - that doesn't seem like something that someone would do if they just wanted to make an easy, casual go of it.

Edit after seeing Tom's post : Funny Tom, while you were writing that I was writing this

There are some that believe the quality of output (of anything) is in direct proportion to the amount of work put into the input.

I look at some of the things photographers do and I think thats a PITA.
Like a landscape photographer sitting waiting for hours for the sun to get in just the right position coming out of a cloud.
Maybe its my age - I have no patience for that. I stop somewhere - if the light is not right - SCREW IT - I'll come back later or another day. I'm too old to wait for the sun to move.

But - again - its just a hobby for me, right?

Walt

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,679 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 21, 2017 18:44 |  #14

Thanks guys for your feedback - any other thoughts on what you like/dislike would be very helpful.

Indeed, I am going to be doing videos for myself first and foremost, but given I'll already be there I can spend a little more extra effort and (hopefully) make it valuable to others as well. It will certainly be a challenge/PITA (which I welcome) as I am quite new to video, and going through the motions of putting together a short, effective video that leads people to look forward to the next one!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 21, 2017 19:06 |  #15

I haven't done vlogs but have done presentations at technical conferences where you have about 5 minutes or your audience is gone.

I would suggest building a couple to try out your creative juices - see what your internal voice tells you. Find a small audience (that can be truthful) and get some feedback.

Maybe come back here and get feedback from here.

Personally, I would find it easier to tell you what you did wrong that it is to tell you what to do right without knowing what vision you're trying to accomplish.

Walt

sponsored links

3,786 views & 10 likes for this thread
What would you like to see in a photo vlog?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.