Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 22 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 01:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photobooth

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 22, 2017 01:27 |  #1

My son's birthday party is coming up in a week and I have a XTi and an Ipad Mini/Samsung Tab 7. I also have some lights and would like to set up a simple photobooth so they can take pictures with friends/cousins. What is needed to accomplish this? I have looked at some apps like simple booth, pg booth, pocket booth, photo booth, spark booth, just to name a few. Has anyone used or has knowledge on one of these? Will it work with my XTi?

I am still contemplating if I would purchase a printer. If I do decide on a printer, still wouldn't know which one that prints 2x6 photo strips. I have read some photobooth apps allow for emailing among other social media sharing options. To be honest, wouldn't mind using this in the future for clients' small events if this works.

I found these:
https://www.amazon.com …fRID=M2Z2NXVEBH​TM7DAG6EWS (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …nements=p_85%3A​2470955011 (external link)
(Is there a reverse set up where the tablet is not on top of camera?)

This is a last minute small party so I know there is not much time. Good thing I have Amazon Prime.

Thanks in advanced.

sponsored links
Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Canon Amateur. (3 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2017 16:07 |  #2

Short answer:
Buy a TPlink TL-MR3040 wireless router and flash it with the custom firmware.
Use DSLR Controller. (http://dslrcontroller.​com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php (external link))
Buy the latest or find a free beta version.

More expensive answer:
Buy a Camranger.
(Yep it looks a lot like the MR-3040, no you can't convert a MR3040 to a camranger)

Long answer:
I had a similar idea to DIY a photobooth for a 4 day festival.
This is what I came up with.
I wanted to invest as little as I possibly could so if things got lost or broken I wouldn't mind.

1: A kind of enclosure (the organisation gave me a wooden one 10ftx20ft approx.)
2: laptop
3: Remote shutter (the cheapes you can buy or a broken one you haven't thrown away yet)
4: Emergency switch button
5: USB cable
6: Wireless Wifi router (e.g. TL-MR3040)
7: tripod
8: digiCamControl (www.digicamcontrol.com (external link) - free)
9: Webserver (I used a USB Webserver)
10: Synchronization tool (I used Dsynchronize - http://dimio.altervist​a.org/eng/ (external link))
11: second monitor
12: cheap props

Open the remote shutter and remove the wires
Connect the remote cable to the camera and check which wires are used for "halfpress" and "full press".
Remove the remote cable.
Connect the Emergency switch button to the "full press" wires.
Put the camera on a tripod.
Connect the camera via USB to the laptop.
Run digicamcontrol
Go to the settings and configure it as you seem fit.
(I used a second monitor connected to my laptop to show the picture taken and mounted it inside the enclosure)
Mount the Emergency switch button and connect the other end to the camera.
Switch the lens to MF and turn of IS.
(take a test shot and check the settings)

Turn on the Wireless WiFi router.
Connect your laptop via WiFi to the WiFi router.
(Change the SSID on the Wifi router to a meaningfull name)
Start the Webserver.
Point the root of the webserver to the download folder from digiCamControl
Write the IP adddress of your laptop on a piece of paper and show it to the visitors.
Instruct the visitors to connect to your WiFi and start their browser and enter the IP address.
Now they see a list of the pictures taken and can view them on their device and download them to their device if they want.

Optional:
Start the Synchronization tool
Set the tool to move all the pictures to another folder every 15 minutes.
My construction can run unattended so I do not see what kind of pictures are being made.
To avoid abuse of the pictures that were made I moved all pictures every 15 minutes.
And by moving the pictures to another folder the list doesn't get very long so it is easier for the visitors to find their own picture.
I bought a few cheap cardboard ties, glasses, mustaches and plastic hats. Great fun.

My equippement was hidden behind the enclosure so the visitors could not reach it.
I walked by at regular intervals to check if everything was still working.
At the end of the day I could get to my camera so I used a large memory card.
A few months ago I experimented with the TL-MR3040 and DSLR Controller, when it was still a beta.
I blew off the dust and used it as a WiFi router.

Next time I want to make some kind of indicator to let people know the booth is in use.
And I am thinking of using a QR code to publish the IP address of the Webserver (Laptop).

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 23, 2017 23:13 |  #3

Thank you for the help.

It seems that the XTi is limiting me to obtain the live view option. I checked out the digicamcontroller and dslr controller's website and my XTi can be controlled but I will not get live view.

Good thing I am upgrading camera. Would have been nice to be able to have a photo booth for the party.

Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 24, 2017 06:58 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #4

In my "long answer" I described my DIY PhotoBooth.
I did not use LiveView.
I just showed the second desktop screen with the instructions as wallpaper.
When the visitor pushed the button, a picture was taken with the 10 seconds timedelay function and Single Shot.
This prevented the kids from leaning against the button and filling my memory card in no-time.
Also the white blinking light at the front of the camera draws the attention from te visitor so they looked (somewhat) towards the lens.
DigiCamControl showed the picture for 10 seconds on the second screen, thus visible for the visitors inside the booth.

The second day I added large arrows with "LOOK HERE" written on them, pointing to the lens.
That helped a bit.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

pat.kane
689 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 31, 2017 17:11 |  #5

If you plan to use a flash/strobe, whatever software you're using will need to be able to adjust exposure for both the actual photo (flashed) as well as the ambient settings (for live view). Be sure to check as this feature probably isn't all that common.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 04, 2017 11:03 |  #6

I was searching for something else and came across this thread and thought I would toss in for future readers. Photobooths is what I do. I've done everything from simple to enclosed selfie booths.

First off, for strips you pretty much have to go with a dye-sub printer. They are not cheap. I use DNP printers: http://www.fotoclubinc​.com …o-Printer__DS620ASET.asp​x (external link)

For the simplest of setups you can tether the camera to a laptop. This can be done wired or wirelessly. Canons software is rather slow to download. I use http://dslrdashboard.i​nfo/ (external link) which works much better. You can also setup a TP-Link with the tether software for wireless use. Alternatively CamRanger can be used. I own both and they both have their issues. If you are not technically savvy go with the CamRanger.

For printing you can use various solutions as well. A program that monitors a directory and prints an incoming image is the simplest setup. AKA Hot Printing. DNP has software for their printers for windows free: http://dnpphoto.com …/Software/DNPs-Hot-Folder (external link)

I do green screen and use PrintRipper (Windows and Mac): http://www.allenchrist​opher.com/printripper.​html (external link)
This program is similar and more versatile in it's output: http://www.breezesys.c​om/Hotfolder/index.htm (external link)

There are a bunch of apps out there for android and IOS for doing photobooths. They all are crap. Mostly due to limitations with the O/S. If you want to setup an interactive photobooth you pretty much have to go with a surface pro or build a touchscreen system. All of the software available is going to be in the $250+ pricing. All of them on the market are try before you buy. Like everything else which one is best depends on what you want to do.

This is as simple as it gets. Photos with Santa. Wired connection to MacBook, PrintRipper set to autoprint incoming images.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by firme.

Feb 05, 2017 08:52 |  #7

Thank you Bigvinnie and everyone, that was helpful. I did end us using something similar to the picture provided. As you mentioned, the printer is not cheap so I was just doing a trial and error set up with the Xti, Speedlight Flash and my Hp Pavilion laptop (tethered). Although it did not provide me live view, I was familiar enough to "warn" people to get ready for the picture.

I was using dslrbooth. Although it did not provide strips it was making 4x6 which I somewhat made my own graphics for the template. I did not use the software additional options for sending via email, facebook or even texting of the pictures. This was a paid software.

I had to work on the angle on some pictures as the edge of the background was visible. When the parents picked up there kids I asked for emails and sent them the pictures. Overall was satisfied and it was a very simple photo booth and not a "nicer looking" booth I have seen on other occasions.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,175 views & 1 like for this thread
Photobooth
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.