Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2006 (Thursday) 06:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1dmkii big learning curve?

tiha
960 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 14, 2006 10:46 as a reply to  @ post 1056044 |  #31

Pekka wrote:
The next 1D will be even more complex!

QUOTED IMAGE

This image made effect even in Nikon forums:
http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1021&messag​e=16666098 (external link)

EOS 5D, EOS 30D, EOS 3, PowerShot G6
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, TS-E 90mm f/2.8, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Speedlite 580EX, Speedlite 430EX, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Transmitter ST-E2
PBase: http://www.pbase.com/v​_tihomir (external link)

sponsored links
FlipsidE
Goldmember
1,701 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 14, 2006 11:35 |  #32

I'd say not terribly, no. I read the entire instruction book before I got mine (upgraded from a 300D to a 1DmkII, and it wasn't long before I figured out all the options I want to use...or at least know where approximately in the instruction book to find them.

FlipsidE

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 14, 2006 11:50 |  #33

My 2 cents: I like the 1 series menu and UI better then that on the 10D (20D). I was used to the 1n, so that probabely helps ;)
The one thing that *did* take time to get used to, was the different cropfactor of the 1D2 (I use primes exclusively, so my 'lens grabbing reflexes' had to readjust) and the fact that the light meter on the 1D2 reacts slightly different to some situations (extreme backlit situations) compared to the 10D.
Also the 8fps took some time to get used to :lol:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 14, 2006 11:58 |  #34

as a recent 20D -> 1D switcher, I'll admit it took me a couple of days to stop mentally projecting 20D controls onto my mental image of the 1D. I'm used to the 1D now. But..... two observations. First, I wouldn't want to have both, as it would not allow being really smooth with either, and second, the 20D is faster to use while shooting. But it's no big deal.

I definitely prefer the categorized menu system of the 1D. better organized

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

ghocking
965 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 14, 2006 12:56 |  #35

I used my 1D in anger for the first time today, and to my amazingment I found the controls logical and easy to use. It was going back to my 20D (which I was using as well) that I found problems remembering the controls.

Geoff Hocking
G9|20D|40D|50D|5D|7D|1​DMkIIN
60 Macro|50 1.4|100 Macro|17-40 L|24-105 L|100-400 L|Sigma 18-200 OS
270EX|430EXII|580EX

mbze430
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 14, 2006 17:16 |  #36

As with anything in life. Practice makes perfect. It is what you are used to. For having a EOS 3 in the mids of 90s, than changing to a 7e (for a dslr). That was difficult. The buttons were not in the usual place. when I finally got used to the 7e controls, going back to 1vhs again became cumbersum. However since the 1v and 3 series is similar it took MUCH less time to remember the control.

So came my 20D. Again, 1-Series control was completely different. However after 2 months are trying to remember the settings and such, I gave up and got a 1dmk2. All the external control were the same, so it was great.

The point is, its what you are most comfortable with and how much time you have spend learning it. If anyone here were to change over to Nikon, it would probably take time for them to get iniative with the controls. Nothing is HARD to learn, it how much mechanical skill you put in to it.

The only great feature the 1-series has are the Personal Settings. Each of the CFn functions can be further modify. Not many people uses it, but once you learn how you can tailor the camera to your shooting style/situation, its a great tool.

I learned to use it on my 1vHS (requires the software and link cable), and I have both my MK2 setup the ways I shoot.

Gear List

My Hub to my personal work (external link) (just click on the banners)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 14, 2006 17:43 as a reply to  @ post 1056044 |  #37

Pekka wrote:
The next 1D will be even more complex!

QUOTED IMAGE

ILe have one.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gear List

shiato ­ storm
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 14, 2006 18:07 |  #38

i think the menu system of the 1d is similar to the 350d...much better than the 20d. as for the button pushings two at a time I;m used to this with the 1N so the 20D to me when I used it was a bit odd. just didn't like it, I still prefereed the handling of the 1N...and the 20D didn't focus right but thats another point entirely.
I saw on dpreview the CFn lay out, i think the way it has a little blurb for each one very good, i didn't know they were extended to another level as you put it. i'd be interested if you could elaborate a little further on that...

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 15, 2006 11:28 as a reply to  @ mbze430's post |  #39

mbze430 wrote:
The only great feature the 1-series has are the Personal Settings. Each of the CFn functions can be further modify. Not many people uses it, but once you learn how you can tailor the camera to your shooting style/situation, its a great tool.

Not the only great thing...
Also, it can be very confusing when you use someone elses 1D. The control can be *very* different ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Armando ­ LaO ­ Sr
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Jan 22, 2017 14:34 as a reply to  @ post 1056044 |  #40

I really like to have this camera lol. My favorite button is the one in between sex and pizza ;)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 23, 2017 09:48 as a reply to  @ post 18253196 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Who are you responding to? :) :)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,658 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.

Jan 23, 2017 09:54 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #42

Still, reviving this thread from the dead was not so bad as I got to see Pekka's hilarious 1D again! Made me laugh out loud again. :lol:

My flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,576 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2017 09:56 |  #43

Bassat wrote in post #18253214 (external link)
Who are you responding to? :) :)

I must be going blind. I thought it said 1DX. Thanks for asking. I'll delete it

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 23, 2017 10:01 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

digital paradise wrote in post #18253228 (external link)
I must be going blind. I thought it said 1DX. Thanks for asking. I'll delete it

I'm too late, you've already deleted it. It was interesting, and your post made me take a look at this thread. Pekka's camera (and your post) brought a smile to my face before I finished my morning (11:00 AM) coffee. That is quite an accomplishment!

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,576 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2017 10:06 |  #45

Bassat wrote in post #18253231 (external link)
I'm too late, you've already deleted it. It was interesting, and your post made me take a look at this thread. Pekka's camera (and your post) brought a smile to my face before I finished my morning (11:00 AM) coffee. That is quite an accomplishment!

I did save it. If anyone wants it back let me know.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

14,188 views & 16 likes for this thread
1dmkii big learning curve?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.