Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 29 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

We need a dedicated Photojournalism section at the top.

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 29, 2016 11:33 |  #1

I was in the General Photography section, reading a thread about some guy who is bored with photography. I put in my two cents, and then while adding two more pennies I drifted into the topic of photojournalism and realized that this entire POTN doesn't have a dedicated section for it. We have pets, family, sports, and even transportation and more, but no photojournalism. Very interesting.

One could say, of course, that photojournalism shots can be posted in People, Urban Life, and more, but since photojournalists produce the vast majority of iconic photos, it seems to me this should not only be a dedicated section in photo sharing, but should receive possibly top billing.

Something to think about.

Have a great day and Hapoy New Year.

Sony A7 III
All my Canon gear is on sale here.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,984 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 21, 2017 11:15 |  #2

I agree... we need one.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 21, 2017 11:42 |  #3

It is fairly easy to decide where to post photos of kids, pets, G&N, and the like. How to decide what is appropriate for a PJ section. Where I come from, a shot of a John Deere 9000-series combine pulling 300+ bushels of corn per acre out of my backyard is newsworthy. Flooded drainage ditches tend to get folks' attention around here, too. Is either of those PJ?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,068 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 21, 2017 11:45 |  #4

Mike, that's a good idea.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,984 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 21, 2017 11:47 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #5

If it is something that you would read about in your local paper or on the news then that would be newsworthy. It's about the story behind the photos.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 21, 2017 11:58 |  #6

So we would post some explanatory text with the photo?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,984 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 21, 2017 11:59 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #7

That would be great. I like to at least share a bit of text with most photos I post just to help the story a bit.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,098 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 22, 2017 21:50 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18251373 (external link)
So we would post some explanatory text with the photo?

I like this idea...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 22, 2017 23:38 |  #9

I agree but I think the section should include "documentary" photography.

Photojournalism and Documentary tend to cover the same areas. Photojournalism tends to be about briefer coverage and documentary tends to be about staying with a story for a longer period.

Both of them are about using photographs to tell stories with the important distinction being that the stories are true.

The photographer, therefore, has a responsibility to show things "as they are." The photographer chooses perspective, lens, how they employ the exposure triangle, place focus, etc. The photographer does not control the action (which leads into the realm of editorial or illustration).

This domain includes classic photojournalists, war photographers, Magnum photographers, FSA photographers, etc.

Some would call street photography a type of photojournalism. Henri Cartier-Bresson referred to himself as such.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

EOS-Mike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 23, 2017 20:52 |  #10

F2Bthere wrote in post #18252968 (external link)
I agree but I think the section should include "documentary" photography.

Photojournalism and Documentary tend to cover the same areas. Photojournalism tends to be about briefer coverage and documentary tends to be about staying with a story for a longer period.

Both of them are about using photographs to tell stories with the important distinction being that the stories are true.

The photographer, therefore, has a responsibility to show things "as they are." The photographer chooses perspective, lens, how they employ the exposure triangle, place focus, etc. The photographer does not control the action (which leads into the realm of editorial or illustration).

This domain includes classic photojournalists, war photographers, Magnum photographers, FSA photographers, etc.

Some would call street photography a type of photojournalism. Henri Cartier-Bresson referred to himself as such.

I really like this idea. Thanks for the input.

Sony A7 III
All my Canon gear is on sale here.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 14, 2017 01:56 as a reply to  @ EOS-Mike's post |  #11

Any movement on this?

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by 98kellrs.

Feb 14, 2017 03:02 |  #12

The thread was created ~45 days ago, and only 10 people replied...just saying. -?

If there is a need, it's a very, very small one.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,984 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by FarmerTed1971.

Feb 14, 2017 08:41 |  #13

Hmmm, no announcement. Now that I know....

EDIT: OK, where is it?

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 15, 2017 15:24 |  #14

I probably miss 100s of threads going past, so I'm not sure if this one is going to gather much attention by itself.

Any way to notify users?

Or perhaps we should bring it up in other relevant threads?

C&C always welcomed...

sponsored links

2,334 views & 10 likes for this thread
We need a dedicated Photojournalism section at the top.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.