Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 13:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 14mm 2.8 lens

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,682 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 12, 2017 13:19 |  #1

Considering the 14mm lens for night/astro photography, and see B&H has them:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …4mm_f_2_8_Super​_Wide.html (external link)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …tra_Wide_Angle_​f_2_8.html (external link)

These are priced differently, the Rokinon has far more reviews, but they are identical are they not?

The rokinon version also has a canon "AE chip" version. Is this worth it?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by CheshireCat. (2 edits in all)

Jan 12, 2017 13:43 |  #2

Same lens, get whatever is cheaper.
The AF chip is even more useless on a 14mm lens.
If you need critical focus, just use Live View.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

dasmith232
615 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 12, 2017 13:47 |  #3

Samyang has the same products branded for: Samyang, Opteka, Rokinon, Walimex and more. Years ago, I was buying a fisheye and saw the same 8mm design for all these (Samyang, Rokinon, etc.) and saw a different option by Vivitar that was 7mm! One mm shorter on a fisheye sounded like a good deal. Well, guess what. Even the Vivitar is the same lens (as Samyang, etc), and the 7mm vs. 8mm was in fact still the same lens! I never figured that one out...

Dave
Mostly using 5DIII with lots of different lenses and flash.

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 12, 2017 16:51 |  #4

dasmith232 wrote in post #18242262 (external link)
Samyang has the same products branded for: Samyang, Opteka, Rokinon, Walimex and more. Years ago, I was buying a fisheye and saw the same 8mm design for all these (Samyang, Rokinon, etc.) and saw a different option by Vivitar that was 7mm! One mm shorter on a fisheye sounded like a good deal. Well, guess what. Even the Vivitar is the same lens (as Samyang, etc), and the 7mm vs. 8mm was in fact still the same lens! I never figured that one out...

Probably a rounding error . . . :-)

Mine is a Pro-Optics. Same lens. Sharp, low coma, interesting distortion so avoid architecture shoots.

Cheers, Damien

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 12, 2017 17:13 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I had the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for a short time. I really liked it. Its only drawback is some pretty heave mustache (not easily correctable) distortion. It was noticeable with a lot of straight lines in the shot. Astro? Probably not. I sold the 14mm and got the 12mm FE. IMHO, a much better lens, and priced accordingly: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …m_c_12mm_f_2_8_​ed_as.html (external link). I don't do astro, so I have no opinion on whether Fish-Eye is a problem.

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan.

Jan 23, 2017 14:54 |  #6

I just bought an impossible to find gem, the Sigma 14 2.8 EX HSM second hand as new.
Three times cheaper than the Canon 14 2.8 and same sharpness @ f8 (on which I work mostly) :-D

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links

2,077 views & 1 like for this thread
The 14mm 2.8 lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.