Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 20 Jan 2017 (Friday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally ready to upgrade from XTi

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 22, 2017 08:05 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18251038 (external link)
Nothing in your description would seem to imply a need for the 7D2's speed,. and the 80D has a lot of features that are superior to the 7D2 which would be of more use than a slight bump in frames per second and better weather sealing that the 7D2 offers.

So yeah, I'd go 80D :)

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18251606 (external link)
Are you still putting stock in your miss-interpretation of what I typed?

Put another way, I mentioned that two of the 7D2s advantages over the 80D were speed and weather sealing.

Where as the 80D lacking those two things has many other advantages over the 7D2, so many that the only reason to buy a 7D2 over an 80D IMHO, is if you need speed and weather sealing.

Sorry if this was unclear to you before.

What a difference one letter can make !

I think he confused that with than....

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

sponsored links
dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 22, 2017 08:34 |  #17

Plus, you'll be amazed at how much better the 80D does than the XTi with noise (or the lack of it). Where you'd avoid using ISO 400 with the XTi, the 80D will give you pretty clean looking images at ISO 800.

Yeah, I know that there is noise at 800, but relatively speaking and especially compared to the XTi, it's pretty awesome.

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 22, 2017 09:01 |  #18

dasmith232 wrote in post #18252179 (external link)
Plus, you'll be amazed at how much better the 80D does than the XTi with noise (or the lack of it). Where you'd avoid using ISO 400 with the XTi, the 80D will give you pretty clean looking images at ISO 800.

Yeah, I know that there is noise at 800, but relatively speaking and especially compared to the XTi, it's pretty awesome.

Noise at ISO 800? Any noise? Noticeable noise? Photo-ruining noise?

We all have our tolerances. How a shot is exposed matters a lot. How it is processed can matter almost as much. To my eye, even the XSi (450D) performed acceptably well at ISO 800. Since the 7D, getting good results at ISO 6400 is fairly easy, and 12800 is accessible if the shooter/processor does everything right.

I regularly shot my 60D at 6400. Shots at that level REQUIRE exacting exposure and individual processing. I have no qualms about using my 80D at 12,800, if the need arises. Somewhere in the high-ISO threads there are shots from the 60D at 6400, and the 6D at 102,400 that show essentially no noise. Admittedly, these shots are staged, exactingly shot, and heavily processed, but they do show what is possible.

In my opinion (oft stated here), ISO has not been an issue since at least the original 7D. And every body since then has offered improvements.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by firme.

Jan 24, 2017 22:00 |  #19

I have been looking at many sites for the 80D and I found these two:

http://www.slrdirect.c​om …JToltOv3NECFZS3​wAodUkgOJQ (external link)

https://www.42photo.co​m …Nq_jtmv3NECFQMt​aQod-XwA6w (external link)

Seems like to good to be true. I sent an email request to slrdirect. Waiting for answer.

I did see walmart has it:

https://www.walmart.co​m …2=866040537&wl1​3=&veh=sem (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 24, 2017 22:23 |  #20

Only use reputable sites...

You can google any site and add the word scam to see what people have to say.

https://repdigger.com/​reviews/slr-direct (external link)

42nd street is a bit better, but still be wary. The Walmart link is not through Walmart but through a 3rd party seller. I hate how Sears and Walmart have 3rd party sellers, there is no real customer support you can rely on, unlike on Amazon and their 3rd party sellers. Amazon governs sellers with an iron fist.

If Canon refurbs are currently at $900, it is going to be tough to find any reputable place that will sell new under that price.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 24, 2017 22:35 |  #21

Thank you for the info TeamSpeed. Just too good to be true. Guess Walmart will do with and some room to buy accessories. Thanks again.

Edit:

Did not see the 3rd party until you pointed it out. Thanks.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 24, 2017 22:50 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #22

If you go to Marketwatch here on POTN, there is a sticky there on how to protect yourself in online sales. Despite its age, there are a few pointers that still work. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 24, 2017 23:36 |  #23

Thanks again. The sticky was very helpful.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,026 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 25, 2017 16:07 |  #24

An FYI on 3rd party sellers via Walmart,

I just ordered some Canon batteries for a very old body via a Walmart.com
It of course turned out to be 3rd party seller.

The ad, the photo, description, the shipping info, and the included packing slip, all showed a genuine canon battery, with a canon name. What arrived was of course an unknown 3rd party battery that can be had for much less $ from Amazon, but at Amazon it is clear what you are buying.

I have not yet tried the batteries, but the bait and switch in this case was so very very clear.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

exvtec94
50 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 25, 2017 17:41 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #25

I bought my 80D with the 18-135 nano USM thru CPW.

Just looked on cpw and you can get the 80D body for 969.99 from an authorized dealer.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2017 19:34 |  #26

Less expensive buying refurbed from canon, but they will charge tax if applicable.

dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by dasmith232.

Jan 25, 2017 20:16 |  #27

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18255507 (external link)
Less expensive buying refurbed from canon, but they will charge tax if applicable.

Yeah, you have to pay tax either way, maybe depending on where you live. It's just that you might have to pay that tax as part of filing your state taxes at the end of the year.

It's also funny that if you look at the back of the photo magazines, even as far back as the 70's, some of those same shops have been doing the bait-and-switch or hard-sell thing for decades and still keep pulling it off.

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2017 21:01 |  #28

What is the site for CPW? Thanks.

Edit.

Found it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2017 21:31 |  #29

dasmith232 wrote in post #18255535 (external link)
Yeah, you have to pay tax either way, maybe depending on where you live. It's just that you might have to pay that tax as part of filing your state taxes at the end of the year.

It's also funny that if you look at the back of the photo magazines, even as far back as the 70's, some of those same shops have been doing the bait-and-switch or hard-sell thing for decades and still keep pulling it off.

No, Canon will charge sales tax for your state, if you have sales tax, it isn't optional.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2017 23:40 |  #30

exvtec94 wrote in post #18255425 (external link)
I bought my 80D with the 18-135 nano USM thru CPW.

Just looked on cpw and you can get the 80D body for 969.99 from an authorized dealer.

I sent an email, they replied quickly and they do have it for the price mentioned and new. Thanks for the tip.

sponsored links

4,681 views & 3 likes for this thread
Finally ready to upgrade from XTi
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.