Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nick3434.

Jan 31, 2017 19:21 |  #4141

Head to head, as 98 said, the big camera and lenses are going to produce the better technical quality image. Frankly expecting a FF dslr and 2 pound lens to not is sorta very unrealistic. The allure is that the Fuji IQ/image feel, is not bad for people used to FF, at the size, it is actually very easy to forgive nitpicks because the size and build and operation is so overwhelmingly refreshing. Now if the canon apsc guys really Pepsi challenged it, at least compared to my past canon crop cameras, it is a no brainer for Fuji I think IQ wise, but I haven't seen any tests comparing because I didn't/don't care when I looked.

I think Fuji should be compelling to anyone that has a single FF camera and wants a smaller scale companion that will not disappoint, or anyone who wants to declutter the mass and crap and expense of material things that take away from photos and downsize or just bail on a big canikon system.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
4,832 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 31, 2017 19:44 |  #4142

I came from a Canon 5D II and a selection of L lenses. I felt tired, not only from the weight of it all, but also felt unmotivated. I had slowly started to "thin out the herd" and was ultimately left with the 5D II and 50L. I used that combo for the last few years of my Canon life. When the XT-1 was announced, I sold off the rest and pre-ordered it with the Fuji 35/1.4.

I felt it was the best decision I made. I enjoyed photography again. I now have the XT-1 (sadly sitting on a shelf), the X-Pro 2 (my new hotness), the 23/1.4, 35/2 (sometimes I wish I would have kept the 35/1.4), 56/1.2, and 90/2. This whole kit is smaller than my Canon kit in terms of size and cost.

I'm happy, and that's what matters most to me.

Phillip - pllphotography.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | Fuji X Gear (X-H1, X-Pro2, X-T1, 23/1.4, 35/2, 56/1.2, 50-140/2.8)

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 31, 2017 20:13 |  #4143

Definitely agree, it is a tad unfair. However, I am still doing paid photography gigs so it was an important test to see if I could get away with ditching my DSLR altogether.

At this stage, I really can't ditch the D800, what I'm prepping the Fuji for however, is taking some high quality memorable shots of my family as we're expecting our first born later this year.

I've already grabbed the 35/1.4, and 90/2, I'm thinking I'll add in a 23mm and that should cover me for my personal photography needs.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Jelloneck
688 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 31, 2017 20:25 |  #4144

Found the 50-140mm used for a good price and grabbed it. Just waiting on the X-T2 to be off backorder. Sold my last Canon body and just need to unload the sigma 120-300mm. Excited to shoot some sports with the new equipment.

I am planning on selling the 90mm as it doesn't make sense to keep it along with the 50-140 being only 1 stop difference. I thought about selling the 56 but being 1.2 it may come in handy for indoor sports (if its fast enough) and portraits when I need faster than 2.8.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2017 21:25 |  #4145

Nick3434 wrote in post #18260984 (external link)
Now if the canon apsc guys really Pepsi challenged it, at least compared to my past canon crop cameras, it is a no brainer for Fuji I think IQ wise

Whole heartedly agree. I'm a crop shooter, have been since I found a love for photography. Canon crop vs fuji crop I feel fuji kills it all day long

Jelloneck wrote in post #18261035 (external link)
Found the 50-140mm used for a good price and grabbed it.

So jealous!!! The sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS is my favorite lens (and the only lens I have left to sell), The fuji 50-140 is on my list of must haves. Hope I like it was much as I do the sigma.

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2017 21:56 |  #4146

Wow jello, I thought I was only person on planet with a 120-300.....that is an awesome lens, total opposite of Fuji, huge.

Ok. So I am already nervous about getting the 14. I really hope it proves wide enough, I hope that it is a big 4mm from 14-18 or maybe I made a mistake and this lax attitude on lenses for Fuji is catching up with me.

I blitzed through a house today and grabbed a few shots, I am going to take Some blame on user lack of thought from rushing, I had bad light in general and I didn't put the 2 min in to just go through trying to find more switches, using the onboard flash!(I figured out I had that for last couple shots) thinking more about an angle etc. and so I gave myself not the best files to process.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/755/32517066371_3400e42192_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Rxqs​Xn  (external link) DSCF1846.jpg (external link) by Nick Patrona (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/536/32260173410_fb44972511_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/R9HP​Co  (external link) DSCF1869.jpg (external link) by Nick Patrona (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/633/32517068941_aca6b15773_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Rxqt​HF  (external link) DSCF1855.jpg (external link) by Nick Patrona (external link), on Flickr

And for fun

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/664/32598947286_6f7493e70b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/REE8​ih  (external link) DSCF1866-Edit.jpg (external link) by Nick Patrona (external link), on Flickr

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
FlikR (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,156 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 31, 2017 22:57 |  #4147

98kellrs wrote in post #18260904 (external link)
I love my XT1, however I've done a few shoots where I have used the Fuji, and then taken the same shot with my D800 at comparable focal lengths and 7/10 times I usually prefer the Nikon's image.

The Fuji's rendition is definitely different, and I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. I need more time with the Fuji I think.

I had the opposite outcome with my a7S, the difference being in low light the a7S shots would handily take the lead. The biggest problem for me though was that I just didn't enjoy using the a7S, my X-E2 was always the camera I gravitated towards and thankfully I like my X-Pro2 even more :)

Head to head, as 98 said, the big camera and lenses are going to produce the better technical quality image. Frankly expecting a FF dslr and 2 pound lens to not is sorta very unrealistic. The allure is that the Fuji IQ/image feel, is not bad for people used to FF, at the size, it is actually very easy to forgive nitpicks because the size and build and operation is so overwhelmingly refreshing. Now if the canon apsc guys really Pepsi challenged it, at least compared to my past canon crop cameras, it is a no brainer for Fuji I think IQ wise, but I haven't seen any tests comparing because I didn't/don't care when I looked.

I think Fuji should be compelling to anyone that has a single FF camera and wants a smaller scale companion that will not disappoint, or anyone who wants to declutter the mass and crap and expense of material things that take away from photos and downsize or just bail on a big canikon system.

It's a slippery slope. I bought an X-E1 to supplement my 6D... very soon realized I was barely using the 6D anymore, though I did (at least at the time) think my 6D produced the better shots. I sold my 6D to get an a7S (after trying an a7R) believing I had to stick with full frame to keep the 6D's image quality. I loved that camera for a time, but before long I missed my Fuji and got an X-E2... yet again I realized it was the Fuji I gravitated to and by that time had learned how to get the most out of the Fuji sensors. I honestly can only see the differences in IQ if I peep in past 100%, and sometimes even then I'm not sure... I think the differences between a FF sensor and a Fuji APS-C sensor are as near as makes no difference for most uses (a topic that all but got me banned from the Sony lounge... :lol: )

PLLphotography wrote in post #18260995 (external link)
I came from a Canon 5D II and a selection of L lenses. I felt tired, not only from the weight of it all, but also felt unmotivated. I had slowly started to "thin out the herd" and was ultimately left with the 5D II and 50L. I used that combo for the last few years of my Canon life. When the XT-1 was announced, I sold off the rest and pre-ordered it with the Fuji 35/1.4.

I felt it was the best decision I made. I enjoyed photography again. I now have the XT-1 (sadly sitting on a shelf), the X-Pro 2 (my new hotness), the 23/1.4, 35/2 (sometimes I wish I would have kept the 35/1.4), 56/1.2, and 90/2. This whole kit is smaller than my Canon kit in terms of size and cost.

I'm happy, and that's what matters most to me.

This.

My X-Pro2 (and now X100T) compel me to pick them up everytime I walk past them. I have zero problem taking one of them everywhere I go and actually feel naked when I forget to bring one (which basically doesn't happen anymore). I love having a camera system that I thoroughly enjoy shooting with.

Jelloneck wrote in post #18261035 (external link)
Found the 50-140mm used for a good price and grabbed it. Just waiting on the X-T2 to be off backorder. Sold my last Canon body and just need to unload the sigma 120-300mm. Excited to shoot some sports with the new equipment.

I am planning on selling the 90mm as it doesn't make sense to keep it along with the 50-140 being only 1 stop difference. I thought about selling the 56 but being 1.2 it may come in handy for indoor sports (if its fast enough) and portraits when I need faster than 2.8.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jelloneck in
./showthread.php?p=182​61035&i=i84144140
forum: Fuji Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jelloneck in
./showthread.php?p=182​61035&i=i30660293
forum: Fuji Digital Cameras

Be sure to keep us updated with how you like it and how it compares to the 90mm... I've been thinking about picking up one of the two later on down the road, have been leaning toward the 90mm since I already have the 55-200 (and love it).

My brother and his soon to be step-daughter :)

X100T

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/351/32197623300_984d149422_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/R4ce​Ed  (external link) DSCF9429.jpg (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,399 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by AlanU.

Feb 01, 2017 02:49 |  #4148

I've used my 5dmk3 extensively for events photography and it's been an incredible tool that has given me rock solid results with full confidence. Using my fuji X-T10 for more casual events has given me great results but I still do not have equal ease and peace of mind when results are concerned. I would probably have a different opinion if I owned the X-T2. Nick the latest 80D would shock you in performance. Actually I'm even finding the IQ is canon colours with almost a fuji rendition. 80D dynamic range is truly a treat to use as you can severely push and pull the exposure in post.

I will say that the more and more I've used my Canon 80D I can say I still have a slight preference to the fuji look. However I've recently used the 80D in some event work and it's proven to be a true shock to me in how consistent and reliable in producing results. So far my X-T10 has not produced rock solid white balance performance when using advanced remote flash work. The 80D destroys my fuji gear in events photography with remote flash. My 16mp fuji gear's AF still isn't up to my standards in speed for run/gun fast paced events work.

Nick if you've used your 6D for paid events photography and replaced that body with your X-E2 as a primary body you may be in for a very rude surprise. AF in the 6d is still an excellent performer that will deliver solid results. My X-T10 and X-E2 can never remotely substitute my Canon 5d2/5d3 and even 80D. I would need a pair of X-T2 minimum if I had to take a plunge in changing my primary system.

For no stress casual shooting, street photography and family documentation snap shots I love my fuji. For portrait work I can see my fuji to be a potent tool. For paid run/gun events to meet my personal demanding needs I still happily grab my Canon gear.

One thing I know I'd miss if I dropped Canon is the prime lens quality I get from my new gen mk2 zoom lenses. Fuji's lens lineup is rock solid and fantastic but there is still something special about a 24-70Lmk2 and 70-200 f/2.8mk2. I'm in fact trying to budget a 16-35 f/2.8mk3 into my gear bag but it's quite $$$$.

Nick don't underestimate the new 80D sensor. If you haven't used it ......... it's a potent sensor with very good performance. In fact I feel it destroys my fuji 16mp sensor as far as dynamic range is concerned. If Canon had a 24mm equiv fast f/1.4 prime I'd be using my 80D alot more.

I've been looking at photos from my 80D and found "fuji"ish looking files.

HOSTED PHOTO

Here's fuji.......simple snapshot with no flash.

HOSTED PHOTO

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Godox V860iiS

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2017 06:28 |  #4149

I know not of the 80d, so I could be way wrong there. And no rude surprise on x-e2 instead of 6d because I wouldn't try to find out what I know. I just did a baby shoot for a friend this weekend and didn't even contemplate using my Fuji. I am saying I totally get that guys want to switch and use Fuji more and it is more inviting etc., I way get it. But the 6d has and will continue to have a place for things that matter/I really want to get the best posssible results and photos and have no restrictions. Some shots of Fuji with 6d taken this weekend that I feel I can't quite get the feel,of with Fuji for example:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/497/32462727421_8cabaa6931_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RsBX​SV  (external link) IMG_8381.jpg (external link) by Nick Patrona (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/678/32462726041_61a951d181_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RsBX​t8  (external link) IMG_8389-Edit.jpg (external link) by Nick Patrona (external link), on Flickr

It could be mental, but these shots have a feel and quality and file to me that I feel I can't get out of my current Fuji. Now this is just an example of my thoughts on why I am firmly keeping FF, I am not bashing in the least because at the same time, I think you can get close, and you can do it with that little thing that looks size appropriate for the little girl using it. I am loving the Fuji to death, and I really don't like the idea of "better" or "need" because those things really just are subjective to each person.

I think the guys in here that are thinking Fuji like tommy digi should do it. I can't wait to travel with my Fuji kit, it is in my car so I have it all the time, it makes producing a great photo easier and more fun than ever. It doesn't need to be and shouldn't be compared to FF and $1,000+ glass, it is irrelevant as some people will have reasons to want to keep their FF and others switch and both are right and better for those people.

Everything is relative.
FlikR (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,832 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2017 08:23 |  #4150

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18261151 (external link)
This.

My X-Pro2 (and now X100T) compel me to pick them up everytime I walk past them. I have zero problem taking one of them everywhere I go and actually feel naked when I forget to bring one (which basically doesn't happen anymore). I love having a camera system that I thoroughly enjoy shooting with.

Same. I would carry my camera bag with me everywhere, which thankfully after switching to Fuji, was also reduced in size and heft.

Now that I bought the new SpiderLight holster (the clip and plate so I can use my own belt, not the big bulky black belt), I just clip the X-Pro 2 on my belt with whatever lens I feel like using for that day (usually either the 23/1.4 or 35/2) and go out, and ditch the camera bag.

Phillip - pllphotography.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | Fuji X Gear (X-H1, X-Pro2, X-T1, 23/1.4, 35/2, 56/1.2, 50-140/2.8)

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,832 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2017 08:26 |  #4151

As far as image quality comparing full frame to crop, I'm a member of Viewbug, where you can post photos and enter contests. You get kudos from other members as well as awards, and can enter and win contests with prizes.

I have gotten more awards and won more contests with photos I've submitted that I took with my Fuji gear than I have with my Canon gear when I was using the 5D II and L lenses. Is it the image quality? Or is it the concepts of photos taken because of a more enjoyable experience with Fuji, and the results show up in the finished images?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,399 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 01, 2017 09:03 |  #4152

Phillip,

I can see how people love the fuji Raw/jpg files. I became a Fuji shooter for that exact reason.

Fuji has a different approach in how it renders "life" and the "realworld". I think they've designed their camera's to have pleasant file sooc. This is why I've stuck with fuji.

I've used my spider holster from day one with my fuji gear. I virtually don't even notice my camera on my hip. I also use thinktank lens bags. I've used this system since 2010.

Canon FF has a different approach in how it renders it's image. This is probably why many people see these files from nikon/sony/ canon as the "normal" or what is expected in how a camera should render images of our daily life surroundings.

I think form factor and image quality is a killer combo. However for serious shoots with remote flash the small size becomes a very negative experience for me. If you want to control manual flash/HSS. This is my cactus v6mk2 setup I use with my RF60 flash units.

I recall posting this before.This combo is unbearable to shoot with !!!! A friend commented on this combo I used and said "your joking right??" I laughed but hated every second of using that combo.

HOSTED PHOTO

For snap shots to well composed photography the fuji is so enjoyable to use. I can adapt my cybersync triggers to shoot remote flash for a physically smaller dummy trigger. However I do like the cactus v6mk2. With my canon gear I prefer using my cactus v6mk1 trigger as I shoot events with manual remote flash.

I can see the draw to a fuji system. Currently for me i need both.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Godox V860iiS

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2017 10:19 |  #4153

I think we all do agree that we love the fuji system. I am actually stunned that this part of the forum is so dead, like do people not know about fuji? It isn't really a secret....

I sooo almost bought a zeiss 12 touit for $550 but restrained myself. I was so freaked at 18mm yesterday compared to what I thought in the previous house that I was just going to have thrm compete and sell loser. I decided though that the only competition would be wide enough and I can assume much better distortion from 14. I hope it proves wide enough.

I did grab a fisheye ii for a steal of price though, so I am holding tight and reserving judgement. The low end is my last blast of gas so I want to just get t right and be done with caring about lenses.

Everything is relative.
FlikR (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,315 posts
Gallery: 257 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Feb 01, 2017 12:17 |  #4154

AlanU wrote in post #18261433 (external link)
...If you want to control manual flash/HSS. This is my cactus v6mk2 setup I use with my RF60 flash units.

I recall posting this before.This combo is unbearable to shoot with !!!! A friend commented on this combo I used and said "your joking right??" I laughed but hated every second of using that combo...

Alan sounds like you'd get a lot of milage by just buying a Cactus RF60x Flash for the top of your Fuji camera. That flash can control the V6-ii receiver that is on your remote 600RT. I'm sure that would allow you to have a more efficient set up on your Fuji rather than trying to mount a flash that was never designed for the camera is being used on.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2017 12:45 |  #4155

I suck at using flashes. It really bothers me, and my long term plan is to practice and learn with fuji system and not the canon. I am really happy that the few people that post here are very knowledgable (alan strikes me as this and someone with name like hot shoes, cmon!) because it is one of those things that I have always made an excuse that for what I shoot (my rushed interior/kids and candid people/landscapes) I don't need to bother with it beyond playing and it is just excuses to suck at photography so I really want to learn to use manipulated light.

Everything is relative.
FlikR (external link)

sponsored links

863,574 views & 4,656 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.