Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 31 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Camera to get

ksbal
Goldmember
2,417 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 01, 2017 16:55 |  #16

Just because...

a used sony A7 with a 35mm lens may be just the ticket. or a 6D with the same, used.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,391 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2017 17:00 |  #17

cdiver2 wrote in post #18261334 (external link)
Actually I am advising against the 7D and wanted to know what other model to get for her interests. Weight should be light but photo quality high?

What are your reasons for advising against the 7D? It may be an 'old' model, but in its day it was a very fine camera. Compared to a current model,

• It does not have the resolution of today's cameras
  • it is not as 'noise' free as today's cameras
  • it does not have as high of ISO settings as today's camera
  • it does not have as good of AF (fast acting, even in low light)

...but only the first one affects a landscape shooter, the rest only affect sports/action/nighttim​e and indoors shooters

So why are you biased against the 7D for her, if she is just getting interested (and may lose interest--our youngest lost interest in spite of saying she was interested to learn more!) If your bias is the weight, even going mirrorless does not truly save weight compared to the same-size-sensor dSLR when you have mounted the same FL lens on it (we're ignoring the very small 'pancake' lenses here, on the point of size/weight)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,391 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 01, 2017 17:04 |  #18

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18261452 (external link)
A 10-22 on a crop will give a wider field of view at the wide end as a 18-xxx on a FF.

...crop arithmetic using 1.6 factor would show that 10mm on APS-C body = 16mm on FF body

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 01, 2017 17:20 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #19

Hmm, Wilt's post up above got me to thinking. It might be a good time for the OP to upgrade and "hand-me-down" the 7D to his daughter. Just thinking.... ;-)a

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 01, 2017 18:22 |  #20

gjl711 wrote in post #18261510 (external link)
The adapters are like tubes, no optics inside, just air so no change in IQ.

Well yes, of course; rather obvious - totally understand.
What I was asking about is whether the effects/dynamics/FOV of tilt/shift lenses are changed at all by adding that thin bit of space between the lens and the body/sensor.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,937 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by Bassat.

Feb 01, 2017 19:01 |  #21

Intheswamp wrote in post #18261961 (external link)
Hmm, Wilt's post up above got me to thinking. It might be a good time for the OP to upgrade and "hand-me-down" the 7D to his daughter. Just thinking.... ;-)a

Good thinkin'! My wife will be OK with me giving my 6D to my grandson so I can get myself a 5D4, right?

EDIT:
Then, a week later, I'll have upgrade my 80D to 7D2. Similar controls and all that...

Tom

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,345 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 01, 2017 19:15 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18262001 (external link)

Well yes, of course; rather obvious - totally understand.
What I was asking about is whether the effects/dynamics/FOV of tilt/shift lenses are changed at all by adding that thin bit of space between the lens and the body/sensor.

The adapter just moves the lens to where it should be on a non-mirrorless body so the distances are the same between the mirrorless and non.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,738 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 01, 2017 19:17 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18261513 (external link)
Well, for what she has stated as primary photographic goals, medium format will provide much better results than 35mm full frame. She can get the Pentax 645Z, 45mm f/2.8, or 35mm f/3.5 for just under $9,000.

Perhaps we need a working budget in order to make useful suggestions.

LOL Tom.....

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,224 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 01, 2017 19:19 |  #24

Whatever you get, you will be creating very large files which will need to reside somewhere. Budget accordingly.

sponsored links

2,654 views & 9 likes for this thread
What Camera to get
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.