Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Licensing an image to a realtor for a postcard

seaLere
464 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 02, 2017 15:21 |  #1

So I hate to ask anything about price as it's such a dangerous and wide topic, but I'm having trouble pricing something. I local realtor has reached out and wanted to license one of my prints for a year for a postcard. I'm assuming (and will find out for sure) it's just a mailer to advertise his business.

This is the image, which displays a unique butte near the town the firm works out of.

I kind of feel like charging a bit more than I normally would since this photo has had more attention than almost any of my landscapes (in terms of people wanting prints, etc).

My price I'm thinking of throwing up was going to be $800 for a year of licensing the photo for the postcards only.

My question is, does that seem fair, low, high? And also, is this something I should be able to keep either a small watermark on in the corner giving me photo credit? Or would the license negate that.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 02, 2017 15:29 |  #2

Realtors are generally cheap, so I think the price is fair, but unlikely to get a bite. Perhaps you can also offer a cheaper price with the watermark intact.

seaLere
THREAD ­ STARTER
464 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 02, 2017 15:40 |  #3

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18262860 (external link)
Realtors are generally cheap, so I think the price is fair, but unlikely to get a bite. Perhaps you can also offer a cheaper price with the watermark intact.

I was kind of thinking this exact thing. And yes, it's crazy how cheap realtors are haha.

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

Alveric
Goldmember
4,587 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Feb 02, 2017 16:24 |  #4

Too expensive.

This is how much he'd pay for a Royalty Free image: http://www.alamy.com …%3D1%26t%3D0%26​edoptin%3D (external link)

When the greatest amount he'd pay is ~$188 USD for perpetual use, he's highly unlikely to buy yours for only one year and for only one marketing piece.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,138 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 03, 2017 00:56 |  #5

Alveric wrote in post #18262919 (external link)
Too expensive.

This is how much he'd pay for a Royalty Free image

Which is fine if you can find the image you want available as stock and are willing to spend the time searching. The company wants a specific image of a specific location and if that isn't available as stock then it doesn't matter what it would have cost from a stock agency. They will have to hire someone to shoot it specifically - any license fee that is lower than the cost of hiring a photographer would be a good deal for them.

Of course total cost isn't really the important issue here. What is actually key is the cost per eyeball. If the realtor is selling $300,000 apartments and is going to send out 200 postcards then an $800 license fee is too much. If they are selling $6,000,000 homes or they operate in a large city and will be sending out 10,000 cards then it is a different proposition.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 07, 2017 09:59 |  #6

There are some other images of that subject online, but nothing like yours, which may give you a little more leeway...
https://www.google.com …rise&source=lnm​s&tbm=isch (external link)

ProwlingTiger
449 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 14, 2017 13:28 |  #7

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18263292 (external link)
Of course total cost isn't really the important issue here. What is actually key is the cost per eyeball. If the realtor is selling $300,000 apartments and is going to send out 200 postcards then an $800 license fee is too much. If they are selling $6,000,000 homes or they operate in a large city and will be sending out 10,000 cards then it is a different proposition.

This ^

I think in general I'd stay at $500 or less if the realtor isn't selling million dollar homes.

Something will be here later...

magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 15, 2017 19:27 |  #8

"He who mentions money first loses".
Be straight forward and tell them that you are in unfamiliar territory and ask what they feel is a price that would be fair to both parties. They will most likely lowball you but it will give you a jumping off point. If the range that they are proposing is ridiculously low you can assume that you are never going to be able to wrap up the sale.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by njstacker22.

Mar 21, 2017 13:44 |  #9

It's hard to say depending on your area but I can tell you for certain that realtors are notoriously cheap. I'm a residential/commercial real-estate photographer who knows this all too well. I would ask $150-200 for that and probably have a tough time getting it.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,924 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Two Hot Shoes. (2 edits in all)

Mar 21, 2017 14:03 |  #10

magoosmc wrote in post #18274961 (external link)
"He who mentions money first loses".
Be straight forward and tell them that you are in unfamiliar territory and ask what they feel is a price that would be fair to both parties. They will most likely lowball you....

Yea, we were taught (in sales school) that when buying, your first offer should make yours hurt, as your kicked theirs so hard.

If it's a postcard you can stipulate your credit on there, price should be dependant on territory and time as well as limited number. You have to balance your worth in the deal, it's not your concern if/what realtors pay, only that they will.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

sponsored links

2,645 views & 1 like for this thread
Licensing an image to a realtor for a postcard
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.