Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 03 Feb 2017 (Friday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sizing Facebook Photos

daystar
589 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 03, 2017 11:16 |  #1

What is a good size for Facebook photos so that they display well even on large monitors yet aren't good for printing? I'm looking for how many pixels on the long edge and a resolution as I mainly work in and export from Lightroom.

Thank you!

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 03, 2017 11:57 |  #2

I use 1920px x 1080. Fills my monitor.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,037 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2017 16:10 |  #3

daystar wrote in post #18263625 (external link)
What is a good size for Facebook photos so that they display well even on large monitors yet aren't good for printing?

It seems like you are searching for something that doesn't exist. If a photo looks good on a large monitor, then it will look good on photo paper. How could this ever not be the case?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by kjonnnn with reason 'typo'.

Feb 04, 2017 16:25 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #4

haha. My eyes completely skipped over the "arent good for printing" part, as its nonsensical.

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
589 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 04, 2017 21:18 |  #5

Just to clarify, I didn't fabricate the question myself....it was a statement I had found online and made me go "huh?" as I wasn't sure how that would be achieved. Thank you for pointing out that the two concepts cannot play together.

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 04, 2017 22:13 |  #6

Kinda, with landscape orientated photos a 2048px on the longest side (width) is ideal for facebook, and will print well.

However, if you're asking about a portrait orientated image, this needs to be 960px on the longest side (height) and thus won't print very large at all. That may, or may not help.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,773 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 15, 2017 11:35 |  #7

1. You could crop the image to a non-standard ratio, for instance 4X7", 3X6", etc.
2. Or if you can't crop it, add to the Canvas & crop that image to a non-standard ratio.
3. Put a big © on it. Or several of them.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

HighlightPhoto
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 16, 2017 22:23 |  #8

kjonnnn wrote in post #18263650 (external link)
I use 1920px x 1080. Fills my monitor.

I use the same and export to .png which helps reduce Facebook's compression.

Highlight Photography - http://www.highlight.p​hoto (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 17, 2017 10:33 |  #9

Facebook actually has a fair degree of flexibility. Like kjonnnn mentioned you can post a photo that may be larger than some might be "accustomed to. for example, POTN/Amass has "limits", I believe 1280 pixels at the max in either dimension (height or width). In POTN, though, if you have an image "up", then at the upper right you see a pair of "eyeglasses which if you click them will open the image at a larger size (I'm not sure of the maximum size in pixels).

Facebook does have the ability to open an image at that larger size. Now, you do hear folks complaining about Facebook "compression", well, you may see some less-than desireable results if you just open an image by clicking on the thumbnail or the preview in a post. In that case, what you get is the image opened with various "border" stuff, including the column for comments and for the image description, and also some border "stuff" including at the bottom, things like "menu" items that you can click on. The result of all this stuff, stuff I tend to think of as "clutter is that the image is in fact compressed so that it will "fit", kind of like if you print an image to be framed, possibly with matting, maybe with a border that will fit some desired frame/matting size, so the actual printed image will be to some degree "compressed". And, if you print, say, at an aspect ratio that differs from what you would consider your "native" aspect ratio, well, that compression happens accordingly. Say you print a 5x7 print or an 8x10 print, well, the image will have to be sized accordingly.

However, since the question is about facebook, well there is something to be aware of and it can be quite nice to use. that is, facebook will allow you to post an image at, say, the dimensions that kjonnnn mentions, 1920 pix at the widest dimension. When you are preparing an image for Facebook (or another viewer), you would do well to consider an appropriate viewing size, both for the width and for the height. That takes into consideration how the image will be viewed.

My last point is that Facebook has a very nice feature. It's called the "full Screen view mode. So, if you open an image and this "mode is available either through a menu "Option" or if you move your pointer to the upper right corner of the image, you could see two little "arrow pointers" which if you click them, will open the image at a size that will "fill" your screen.

Believve me, this is a very nice feature, one that can really be a "plus" for viewing images, especially things like landscape/scenic photos, or any photo that you might wish would show as a "larger" display!

When I post images, I do actually take into consideration my "normal" display dimensions. For me, the "limit" can show up in the Height of the image. for instance, kjonnnn mentions 1080 pixels as his height dimension. that could be useful for monitors that max out at a size bouncing around that dimension. For my monitor I think it's a bit less, so that I may post images at a max heightof say 1000 pixels, so I can open/view images that won't go beyond my monitor's native resolution. For the width, well, I can take that into consideration, whereas the POTN limit is 1280 pixels, that seems to work for me. facebook does have those "longer" guidelines, so for me maybe that 1920 pix width may "crowd" my monitor a bit, but for a worthwhile image I won't complain much!

Just know, though, that the "Full Screen View mode is to me invaluable! In fact, I often will mention that mode either when posting photos or also in groups with frequent image posts, such as dedicated photography groups!

Hope this all helps a bit!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,801 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sizing Facebook Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.