Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 09:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which eye?

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Nathan. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2017 08:01 as a reply to  @ post 18255502 |  #16

I'm one of those. I'm right eye dominant, but look through the viewfinder with my left eye because it's more comfortable to me. Some articles on the interweb confuse the importance of eye dominance. Think about it. Dominance matters more when both eyes are kept open - e.g. when both of my eyes are open during archery, my right eye takes dominance and I shoot with a right-handed bow. If I was right eye dominant and left handed, shooting with a left-handed bow then this would be cross dominance and I could experience a degree of parallax.

In photography, this just isn't an issue because you keep one eye closed or shielded from within the viewfinder. It doesn't matter which eye you use. Because it's the only eye used, it doesn't matter if it's dominant or not. Dominance or non-dominance isn't a designation of stronger or weaker. Your optometrist can tell you which eye is stronger or weaker as a matter of how well you can read each letter on an eye chart.

There are exceptions to everything, of course. The responses from people in my thread reveal that some of the action sports photographers in this forum actually keep both eyes open and use the right eye on the viewfinder while the left eye track the subject. But of course, the right eye might not even be their dominant eye in their cases.

Boils down to what is comfortable and what works. Using your eye dominance isn't going to give you any better accuracy.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,064 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2017 12:04 |  #17

Nathan wrote in post #18255824 (external link)
I'm one of those. I'm right eye dominant, but look through the viewfinder with my left eye because it's more comfortable to me. Some articles on the interweb confuse the importance of eye dominance. Think about it. Dominance matters more when both eyes are kept open - e.g. when both of my eyes are open during archery, my right eye takes dominance and I shoot with a right-handed bow. If I was right eye dominant and left handed, shooting with a left-handed bow then this would be cross dominance and I could experience a degree of parallax.

In photography, this just isn't an issue because you keep one eye closed or shielded from within the viewfinder. It doesn't matter which eye you use. Because it's the only eye used, it doesn't matter if it's dominant or not. Dominance or non-dominance isn't a designation of stronger or weaker. Your optometrist can tell you which eye is stronger or weaker as a matter of how well you can read each letter on an eye chart.

There are exceptions to everything, of course. The responses from people in my thread reveal that some of the action sports photographers in this forum actually keep both eyes open and use the right eye on the viewfinder while the left eye track the subject. But of course, the right eye might not even be their dominant eye in their cases.

Boils down to what is comfortable and what works. Using your eye dominance isn't going to give you any better accuracy.

I'm actually "Centrally" dominant, which as a competitive rifle shooter, and former pistol shooter (no pistols anymore for us plebs in the UK) is a PITA, since I need to have a blinder when using a "Diopter", or aperture, sight, since with both eyes open I end up seeing the foresight with the left eye, and losing it completely from the right. It also makes shooting a shotgun very difficult, again I keep using my left eye half the time. I have also done a lot of bare bow archery and what is odd is as someone who is very right handed normally I can shoot the bow with either hand-?-?. Well when I was doing it every day I was about 95% with my left hand. I could put arrows in the center of the target, but not deliberately off center. At the time I worked at a holiday center where I ran "shooting" activities including archery and clay pigeon. When working with a group of four, when you only have four bows, it's much easier to pick up one of the spare left handed bows to do the demonstrations

I am an NRA (GB) Rifle Instructor and when working with novices will always try to get them you ignore handedness and go with eye dominance whenever possible. This was especially true of the ones with the rifle who try to put the left eye behind the scope on my .308 when I was coaching at the NRA's open days at Bisley. If they don't it ends in tears. I did have one shooter who although using right hand/right eye ignored everything I told them, and got their eye right up to the scope, and so scoped themselves, and they were not happy that I was more worried about keeping the blood off the rifle, than about them bleeding:grin:

When shooting with optical sights I can happily use my right eye through the scope, and independently watch the wind flags with my left. I guess because of the very different views that each eye is receiving. I am though using a 20× scope on my .308 F-TR rifle out to 1000x and 36× on the smallbore BR at 25x and 50m. At airshows I pretty much do the same when tracking aircraft. It makes it a lot easier to catch two aircraft crossing in opposition, although it does pretty much force a pan that goes right to left. The biggest issue I have is that usually with the RAF's Red Arrows it's the left to right aircraft that passes in front. Because it is much better to keep both eyes open whenever possible in shooting I just automatically tend to do the same with a camera these days. Oddly I started with photography way before serious shooting and initially always closed the left eye. As the shooting had me keep the eye open it gradually transfered to the camera too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by drmaxx.

Jan 26, 2017 13:45 |  #18

Keeping both eyes open is just easier when using the camera (rifle, pistol, ...) for a long time. I usually only close the non dominant eye at critical moments where I need to concentrate on my target.
The way I learned to identify the dominant eye is to hold my stretched arm out, keep both eyes open and cover a object in a distance with my thumb. Then you close the left and right eye and check which of the one actually was responsible for the cover up. In my case clearly right. In (target) archery the dominant eye determines if you use a left or right handed bow.

Donate if you love POTN

MrAnderson
34 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Jan 27, 2017 18:31 |  #19

Right eye in the viewer and the left eye is open. Although my right eye is near sighted ߘ

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 28, 2017 20:27 |  #20

XoNE CHALLENGING ASPECT TO AKE INTO CONSIDERATION, IS WHEN YOU ARE"TWEQAKING YOUR FOCU, COMMON WITH mACRO PHOTOGRaPHY, WEHERE YOU WANT YOURT EYE EITHER GLUED TO YOUR VIEWFINDER, AND YOU aRE"Tweaking" using Manual Focus, or alternatively usin Live View,

Hey. it's cool with that eye glued in place, and you actually see things come intto focus!

A TO LEFT EYE OR RIGHT EYE DOMINANT -- hEY, i'M LEFT-HANDED, AND IT'S FUNNY REMEMBERING THE STORIES FROM WHEN i GREW UP AS A LEFTY!
TY. AS TYO THE EYE THING. i FIGURE THAT LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, THE KEY WORD IPRACTICE, PRACTICE, ANDMORE PRACTICE!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 02, 2017 16:53 |  #21

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18255502 (external link)
I had a look at the pole results in the old thread. What on earth are those 15% who responded that they look through the viewfinder with their weak eye doing.

I sometimes do that. The eye I look through the viewfinder with is whatever eye I can physically get behind the viewfiner. I often shoot from cramped quarters, or try to get the camera as low to the ground as I possibly can, or as far to the right or left as I possibly can, which often results in my camera being pinned tight to a tree trunk or a rock or the side of a photo blind. Therefore, I often have no choice which eye to put up to the viewfinder.

I mean, if I pin the left side of my camera up tight against a tree trunk, I won't be able to get my right eye behind the viewfinder because the tree trunk is occupying the space that the left side of my head would need to be in in order for me to align my right eye up with the viewfinder. Vise-versa if the right side of the camera is pinned up against something.

It's not like we get to photograph out in the open very often, where we can more about freely. Usually there's a bunch of stuff in the way where we want to set up our cameras and tripods, and we have to negotiate very tight quarters. Same thing goes for shooting out of the car window at extreme angles with a real big lens.......in these situations you don't get to choose which eye to use as there is usually one eye that will fit behind the viewfinder.

Regardless, my dominant eye is no "better" than my submissive eye. I am pretty much right-eye dominant, but I can read the eye chart at the eye clinic equally well with either eye (I am better than 20/20 by a wide margin). So, while my right eye might be dominant, it doesn't see any better or more accurately or more quickly than my left eye does. Dominance does not infer some degree of superiority. The right eye isn't dominant because it is in any way better than the left eye.

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18255502 (external link)
By definition, isn't your viewfinder eye your dominant eye?

Depends on one's definition. I define "viewfinder eye" as the eye that I look through the viewfinder with. Hence, by definition, both of my eyes are viewfinder eyes.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 04, 2017 00:02 |  #22

Right eye for me, so I can more easily look "outside" the finder simply by opening the left

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 04, 2017 14:41 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18252327 (external link)
Wilt, I used the M16 left-eyed and right-handed for 9 years ('74-'83), and never had a problem with hot brass in my shirt, or any where else I didn't want it. Shooting left-handed was problem for those who did so. I am not sure which eye left-handed shooters used mattered. Which eye right-handed shooters used did not matter.

I had many pieces of brass down my shirt as the guard they issued me was useless.

Steve

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 07, 2017 08:32 |  #24

Right eye dominant, but I shoot photos with either eye, depending on the situation (sometimes the physicality of my shooting position is much easier with my left eye). When shooting several soccer games consecutively, I'll alternate to prevent (delay?) fatigue.

For firearms, I was always left-eye-closed. I never served -- just hunting and recreation.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

kephe
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 10, 2017 15:29 |  #25

I'm use my right eye in the viewer. It just seem more comfortable for me. Though, it probably doesn't help that my left eye is a bit messed up.

sponsored links

5,137 views & 3 likes for this thread
Which eye?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.