Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2017 (Saturday) 03:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 6.0 and Canon 80D users

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 04, 2017 03:02 |  #1

Just wonder if standalone Lightroom version 6.0 will be able to import and read the Canon 80D CR2 files?

I tried to update Lightroom but only version available for download is the Lightroom CC (2015.8) / 6.8. I dont know what update I actually get when I click update. Do I get standalone version 6.8 or do I have to sign up to the CC version and pay every month? I only want to use the perpetual licence.

sponsored links
crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 04, 2017 03:06 |  #2

the hulk wrote in post #18264250 (external link)
Just wonder if standalone Lightroom version 6.0 will be able to import and read the Canon 80D CR2 files?

Yes

the hulk wrote in post #18264250 (external link)
I tried to update Lightroom but only version available for download is the Lightroom CC (2015.8) / 6.8. I dont know what update I actually get when I click update. Do I get standalone version 6.8 or do I have to sign up to the CC version and pay every month? I only want to use the perpetual licence.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …ngle-app-Lightroom-6.html (external link)

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 04, 2017 03:54 |  #3

Great, thanks!

I dont know why you refer to that link. I already have the perpetual licence installed and that is the version 6.0. For updates I have to go "help" in menu and check for updates. There is the option I meantion in my post above. I was affraid that with the update Adobe wants to transform my perpetual licence to a payed plan. Not interested about that.

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 04, 2017 04:57 |  #4

crbinson: Do you use the LR 6.0 version with 80D?

Looks like I need 6.5 for 80D raw-file support. Then I also need to update my OSX.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 04, 2017 05:26 as a reply to  @ the hulk's post |  #5

Sorry didn't understand you already had LR6 installed. I was using LR5 until recently when I purchased the 80D. I chose to upgrade to LR6 to support the raw files. Since it was just recently when I upgraded, the version that was downloaded and installed was LR6.8

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 04, 2017 11:58 |  #6

I dont understand Adobe support. There are two software involved. Lightroom and Camera Raw. Is it possible to updated only the Camera Raw software to fully support the 80D files?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by tzalman.

Feb 04, 2017 12:39 |  #7

the hulk wrote in post #18264481 (external link)
I dont understand Adobe support. There are two software involved. Lightroom and Camera Raw. Is it possible to updated only the Camera Raw software to fully support the 80D files?

Camera Raw is a plug-in hosted by Photoshop CC. If you don't have a subscription to Photoshop CC you can't use the plug-in. (Plug-ins are partial applications that need to be used inside a larger application.) Every edition of Lightroom has a built-in and integral version of Camera Raw which cannot be changed other than by changing the entire application.

I already have the perpetual licence installed and that is the version 6.0. For updates I have to go "help" in menu and check for updates. There is the option I meantion in my post above. I was affraid that with the update Adobe wants to transform my perpetual licence to a payed plan. Not interested about that.

Really? Do you think that Adobe could legally sign you up for a rental plan without your indicating and confirming your agreement and supplying a credit card number? Or do you think a couple guys with bent noses and baseball bats will show up at your door tomorrow to collect the monthly $10 dollars? If you purchased LR 6.0, the price you paid included free updates for the life of LR 6. Updates which contain new camera model support and new lens correction profiles, as well as bug fixes. There have been more than 8 updates.

The update patches for the standalone version and the subscription version are exactly the same; the way in which the update is implemented is determined by whether your LR has been serialized with a valid perpetual license number or you have signed up to a subscription plan. Subscribers receive new features, standalone purchasers do not. Go here and download the update:
https://helpx.adobe.co​m …lightroom-up-to-date.html (external link)

Elie / אלי

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by the hulk.

Feb 04, 2017 14:00 |  #8

Tzalman: thanks for the clarification but part of your post was totaly unnecessary and childish.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 04, 2017 15:22 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I use LR5.7 for raw files from my 80D. DNG conversion takes seconds and is easily automated. No way I'd pay for LR6.whatever just to get raw support I can get for nothing.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2017 08:24 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18264646 (external link)
I use LR5.7 for raw files from my 80D. DNG conversion takes seconds and is easily automated. No way I'd pay for LR6.whatever just to get raw support I can get for nothing.

But the OP has already purchased and installed LR 6.0. The 80D was supported from 6.5. The update is free. When I was in the army (nearly 60 years ago) we used to say, "If it's free, take it", but if Adobe is involved this isn't always the best advice - some recent updates to LR6 have been somewhat less than wonderful. Nevertheless, Adobe does eventually correct their worst blunders and I can testify that LR 6.8 works well. Don't you think that simply updating and taking what you have in a sense already paid for is preferable to converting every file to DNG?

Elie / אלי

the ­ hulk
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 06, 2017 01:46 |  #11

Tzalman: Sorry to hear about your hard time in the army. Keep your harsh and uncivil tone for your self.

Bassat: will try the Adobe DNG Converter. I only have Mac OSX 10.8 installed. Lightroom 6.5 and up needs higher Mac OS and I dont want to upgrade. Unfortunatly the 10.8 is the last Mac OS supporting real black point compensation for ColorNavigator and Eizo monitors.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by DagoImaging. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2017 05:08 |  #12

I think tzalman posts were on point, not childish and answered your questions well. I think you did not get the answer you wanted and therefore dismiss his point of view and valid advice.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links

5,998 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lightroom 6.0 and Canon 80D users
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.