Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Teleconverter help!

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 02, 2017 16:13 |  #16

I moved from Yashica film bodies with a Contax/Yashica (C/Y) mount to Canon EF mount digital about 8 years ago. At the time, I had a slew of good, and some not so good, C/Y-mount lenses. I purchased a $12 adapter so I could mount Yashica C/Y lenses on a Canon camera. I think this kind of stuff is rather normal, or at least common-place.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,671 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 02, 2017 16:32 |  #17

Looking at the images, is it possible that the problem is that the camera side is damaged?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2017 17:04 |  #18

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18262923 (external link)
Looking at the images, is it possible that the problem is that the camera side is damaged?

What imags are you referring to, Jake?

I looked at the photos on the eBay listing that the OP linked to, but those images only showed the teleconverter that was for sale; I did not see any images there showing the side of a camera.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,671 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 02, 2017 17:46 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18262950 (external link)

What imags are you referring to, Jake?

I looked at the photos on the eBay listing that the OP linked to, but those images only showed the teleconverter that was for sale; I did not see any images there showing the side of a camera.

I mean the side of the teleconverter shown in those same images that mounts to the camera as opposed to the lens. It looks damaged to me. It may be because it is not EF mount! But the pins look like one is on an odd angle.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 03, 2017 20:13 |  #20

Back of 70-200 OS lens with cap on.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/453/32571585801_3aa2949260_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RCeT​Fx  (external link)

Front of teleconverter with cap on.
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/621/32571589721_2f358c36c3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RCeU​R8  (external link)

Back of teleconverter with cap on.
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/338/31881463483_1beb5ab664_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QzfQ​mT  (external link)

Front of teleconverter without cap and back of 70-200 lens without cap.
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/655/32541014342_62432c8d37_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Rzxc​Rq  (external link)

Back of teleconverter without cap and back of 70-200 lens without cap.
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/428/32314465790_4ce1f2f421_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Rew5​RU  (external link)

Joel

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 03, 2017 20:20 as a reply to  @ post 18262903 |  #21

Please take a look at the pics I uploaded - the Sigma mount is significantly smaller than the Canon EF mount.

Joel

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2017 01:05 |  #22

What was the sellers response when you asked if he/she would accept a return?

Even though it is your fault for not thoroughly reading the item description, you could still file a dispute if you used PayPal. I am not suggesting that you do so, but the seller will know that PayPal is extremely buyer-friendly when it comes to disputes, and you can use this knowledge/fact to your advantage. Even if the seller doesn't want to accept a return, he/she may very well agree to do so, because he/she knows that PayPal will side with you, the buyer, no matter what.

Yes, this would be bullying the seller into doing something that he/she shouldn't have to do, and is not the most ethical path to take. Nonetheless.......

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,742 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 04, 2017 02:40 |  #23

What does "Ebay" mean? ie, private seller or a shop? Personally I would be asking a shop for return, maybe not for a private seller.

Interesting issue. Thread has gone a couple of pages and nobody so far seems to be aware that such a Sigma TC exists.
B&H info for Sigma TCs is typical:
Canon EF-Mount Teleconverter or you can select Nikon or Sigma Mount.

The Overview:
APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG from Sigma for Canon EF-mount cameras and lenses.
Overview for the Canon Mount version:
APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG from Sigma for Sigma SA-mount cameras and lenses

They have 12 Sigma TCs stocked, all have the same mount for Camera body and lens.

Sigma Global:
https://www.sigmaphoto​.com/14x-teleconverter-ex-apo-dg (external link)
1.4X Teleconverter EX APO DG
They have the same 3 choices - choose mount.

I did a bit of googling and cannot find a Sigma TC that does not have the Same mount for lens and body.

What I did find is this:
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/31546​74 (external link)
Another, simpler way: Get a sigma teleconverter for EOS, and a sigma teleconverter for sigma SA. Swap parts around so you get a teleconverter with a sigma-SA side that fits the SD14, and a canon mount that fits your canon lenses.

Ooh, it makes me wonder.

Dave
Image editing OK

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,235 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by msowsun. (3 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 09:24 |  #24

joeblack2022 wrote in post #18262892 (external link)
https://www.ebay.ca/it​m/162327536445 (external link)

Again, I was not looking for a Sigma mount teleconverter - I purchased one in my haste. The listing is quite clear it is for Sigma and I've admitted my fault in that.

Is that link for the item you bought?

If so, it doesn't really matter what you "thought" you were buying. The listing shows a 1.4x with what appears to be Sigma mounts on both ends, and no mention of the word Canon. (you could have been a Sigma shooter looking to mount a Sigma lens on a Sigma body)

The 1.4x you received has Canon on one end and Sigma on the other.

Just return the item as "not as described".

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 09:27 |  #25

mystik610 wrote in post #18264315 (external link)
You're aware that a camera sensor itself has a layer of glass on top of it too right? And that atmospheric contaminants would do the same type of damage to the sensor as it would to the mirror.

In reality, cameras are highly sealed devices and comparing wine glasses in a cabinet to the glass inside a camera (be it the glass on the sensor or the glass on the mirror) is not at all a valid analogy.

joeblack2022 wrote in post #18264098 (external link)
Please take a look at the pics I uploaded - the Sigma mount is significantly smaller than the Canon EF mount.

And looking at the last photo in post 21,

• the male flanges of the mount are smaller than the Canon ones. Furthermore,
  • the electrical contact configuration is entirely different and cannot possible mate to Canon contacts on the body.
  • The electrical contacts on the TWO SIDES of the teleconvertor DO NOT MATCH configuration, either.

Enough to convince me that SA mount on one side and EF mount on the other.

As msowsun suggests, return it "not as described"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,901 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 04, 2017 11:18 |  #26

The link to the original item fails to mention, a least by my investigation, anything about being for a Canon. In fact it is quite clear that it states "for Sigma" on three occasions and the OP has admitted to that fact. What is seen, and exclusively I believe, is the protective cap that reads "Sigma for Canon" in one of the item photographs.

The sellers conditions are clearly stated "We accept returns only in the case of defects and item not as described. Item must be returned in original condition" so perhaps there is reason to return. But it is a stretch and worth an attempt.

Otherwise put it on eBay, don't show the protective cap and clearly describe it as for Sigma mount. Hopefully some of the loss can be recovered.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,235 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 04, 2017 12:12 |  #27

John from PA wrote in post #18264454 (external link)

put it on eBay, don't show the protective cap and clearly describe it as for Sigma mount. Hopefully some of the loss can be recovered.

Why not show the protective cap? It is not a Sigma mount.

It is a Canon mount on the lens side and a Sigma mount on the Camera side. If you don't describe it properly it will be returned as "Not As Described."

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,901 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 12:26 |  #28

msowsun wrote in post #18264495 (external link)

It is a Canon mount on the lens side and a Sigma mount on the Camera side. If you don't describe it properly it will be returned as "Not As Described."

All I'm saying is once this thing is positively identified, if it is for Sigma, both mounting flanges, then don't show a cap reading "Sigma for Canon". Caps are nothing but interchangeable pieces of plastic, they don't define what mount a TC is anymore than a Ziplock bag does.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Feb 04, 2017 12:27 |  #29

msowsun wrote in post #18264495 (external link)

...as seen here:

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/defective_zps9w5gnsa5.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,042 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 04, 2017 12:29 |  #30

this seems pretty crazy, and i'm kinda surprised how many people seemed to be missing the point...do you know anyone that has sigma mount lenses? to just see if it somehow is able to attach on those lenses as well? if it can't i'd say you could return it as it's definitely not as described...even though you wouldn't have wanted it as described anyways

Wilt wrote in post #18264370 (external link)
And looking at the last photo in post 21,

• the male flanges of the mount are smaller than the Canon ones. Furthermore,
  • the electrical contact configuration is entirely different and cannot possible mate to Canon contacts on the body.
  • The electrical contacts on the TWO SIDES of the teleconvertor DO NOT MATCH configuration, either.

Enough to convince me that SA mount on one side and EF mount on the other.

As msowsun suggests, return it "not as described"

what do you mean that the electrical contact configuration can not mate to canon?

the end of the TC that is supposed to attach to the lens looks exactly like my sigma 2X TC...so it probably matches up fine

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,764 views & 22 likes for this thread
Teleconverter help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.