Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Dec 2016 (Saturday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend - BIF field tripod/monopod combo for gripped 7D Mk II + Sigma 150-600 C

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,063 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 28, 2016 17:05 as a reply to  @ post 18225834 |  #16

I like the Lensmaster RH1 - it is not perfect but it does work well, is very robust and very sensibly priced. If you have any questions contact Rob at:

http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/contact.htm (external link)

He really is a very helpful guy.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
811 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 30, 2016 13:58 |  #17

johnf3f wrote in post #18225940 (external link)
I like the Lensmaster RH1 - it is not perfect but it does work well, is very robust and very sensibly priced. If you have any questions contact Rob at:

http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/contact.htm (external link)

He really is a very helpful guy.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18223701 (external link)
Now forget about the tripods you are looking at,. and instead look at a real tripod that does not unscrew to become a monopod. These are great for light travel options and small cameras, but not what you want. Not tall enough, not sturdy enough to do what you need.

An Induro 3 series would be a great tripod that you won't immediately need to upgrade. ( or maybe even a 2 series would do the job )

If you also need a monopod, grab either a nice carbon one, or if you now need to save money, get the tried and true Manfrotto 680 series.

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18225030 (external link)
I ended up saving up for a quality tripod. I don't even know how much I've spent because it doesn't matter to me at this point. I've added a few things over the past coupld years, i.e., a monopod/tilt head, flash bracket and gimbal head. I can say, I don't regret any of those purchases. The gear I have now is a pleasure to use. I'm on my 4th DSLR camera body.... one tripod. ;)

If you end up buying something that doesn't work well, you'll never forget how much you paid for it... wishing you'd bought a more expensive brand/model.

Thanks to you guys and all others who shared on this thread. Well, I have a LensMaster RH-2 on order. Rob suggested the RH-2 for me, which happens to be their best seller and yes, he is a helpful guy. The slightly greater freedom of motion of the rig and ease of mounting the lens sold me. This will give me room to expand. Weight-wise there's a 1lb. difference between the RH-1 and RH-2 which should be just about eaten up by the absence of ball head for RH-2.

I picked up used Induro Series 3 tripod legs for B&H, with 44 lb. load rating. By all accounts they are very rigid and stable. My only reservation is the ~63" max height. I was on the fence between that and a similar Benro (Benro COM48CXL Combination Series 4 Carbon Fiber Tripod) carbon with a 55 lb. load rating and 72" max height. The guy in the B&H used dept. felt I could save the $100.00 price difference and go with the INDURO CLT303 STEALTH CARBON FIBER, so I took his advice even though I was seriously inclined to go for the Benro because of higher specs and available upgrade parts. I felt the somewhat higher specs would not be overkill and would give me room to grow but I controlled my gear-head tendencies and saved the bucks. Would appreciate inputs on this decision as I can return and exchange.

40D, Digital Rebel 300D; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, Speedlite 380 EX, Sekonic L758DR w/target, Manfrotto 3021 w/3030 pan-tilt head & quick release plate, POTN Strap

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Dec 30, 2016 14:19 |  #18

Looks like a great combo.

I recently acquired an Induro Series 4 due in large part to a ridiculous low price clearance, and have to admit that it is more tripod than I want or need most of the time.

The Series 3 Gitzo, Induro and Benro are sort of a sweet spot for for most applications IMHO. (Benro and Induro are part of the same company FYI, mostly all good stuff. Some of the tripods are identical with the exception that Benro gets the flip locks, and Induro is twist)

The 303 is not a "systematic" (or "grande" in Induro parlance) so it does limit the options, but it is a great tripod. If you got a good used price, it will be a nice bargain for a solid tripod. I have one in the back of my pickup as I type :)

There is a 303"L" with a taller max height as well..

If you want to compare more apples to apples, this is a series 3 "grande" Induro with all the systematic options available
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …3grnd_stealth_c​arbon.html (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
811 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Camilleri.

Dec 31, 2016 09:50 |  #19

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18227973 (external link)
Looks like a great combo.

I recently acquired an Induro Series 4 due in large part to a ridiculous low price clearance, and have to admit that it is more tripod than I want or need most of the time.

The Series 3 Gitzo, Induro and Benro are sort of a sweet spot for for most applications IMHO. (Benro and Induro are part of the same company FYI, mostly all good stuff. Some of the tripods are identical with the exception that Benro gets the flip locks, and Induro is twist)

The 303 is not a "systematic" (or "grande" in Induro parlance) so it does limit the options, but it is a great tripod. If you got a good used price, it will be a nice bargain for a solid tripod. I have one in the back of my pickup as I type :)

There is a 303"L" with a taller max height as well..

If you want to compare more apples to apples, this is a series 3 "grande" Induro with all the systematic options available
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …3grnd_stealth_c​arbon.html (external link)

I like the grande, especially the 55 lb. rating. Options are another thing that's attractive as versatility equates to efficiency in the long run. I think the 303 will work well with the RH-2 but if I decide to exchange it for the 304 grande I can, as B&H has it also in used and they presently have post-holiday extended returns until early February. I will check out available Induro options to see if any kick me back in to gear-head mode. I'm presently awaiting arrival of my RH-2 and enjoying the anticipation.

Thanks again for inputs. Happy New Year!

40D, Digital Rebel 300D; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, Speedlite 380 EX, Sekonic L758DR w/target, Manfrotto 3021 w/3030 pan-tilt head & quick release plate, POTN Strap

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,063 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 02, 2017 13:50 as a reply to  @ Tom Camilleri's post |  #20

Happy new toys - sounds like a nice solid setup.

Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
811 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 03, 2017 19:08 |  #21

johnf3f wrote in post #18230876 (external link)
Happy new toys - sounds like a nice solid setup.

Thanks! If I don't get some good shots I'll know it's not my gear.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,063 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 03, 2017 19:52 as a reply to  @ Tom Camilleri's post |  #22

I think it is the same for most of us!

Let us know how you get on

Gregsiem
Goldmember
1,138 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Gregsiem.

Jan 04, 2017 11:05 |  #23

Do you notice a significant image quality improvement for photos taken using a tripod vs handheld at reasonably fast shutter speeds (say over 1000/s at f8) ?

I am curious about whether it is worth schlepping a tripod along (I take a beanbag which I use when I can) for quality or if it is primarily useful for when used at more static locations (eg: lake edges) to help you from getting tired.

Note: I am specifically referring to 'lighter' long lenses such as the Sigma 150-600C or Canon 100-400.

Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
811 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 08, 2017 15:03 |  #24

Gregsiem wrote in post #18232885 (external link)
Do you notice a significant image quality improvement for photos taken using a tripod vs handheld at reasonably fast shutter speeds (say over 1000/s at f8) ?

I am curious about whether it is worth schlepping a tripod along (I take a beanbag which I use when I can) for quality or if it is primarily useful for when used at more static locations (eg: lake edges) to help you from getting tired.

Note: I am specifically referring to 'lighter' long lenses such as the Sigma 150-600C or Canon 100-400.

I had the same question and found this vid relevant:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=apB2SmQv_CE (external link)

I wouldn't have the answer to your question as as my entire rig is new and in fact I'm still waiting for my tripod. The guy who made the video surely thinks it's worth it schlepping a tripod and flash with better beamer. He uses a 400 L prime, so it's heavier than the Sigma C.

I had ordered a used series 3 from B&H but then realized that Induro is currently giving a 10 year warranty on new stuff when it's registered. So I returned it and actually got the similar new series 4 (must have been on sale) for $50 more, so that was a no-brainer.

ShadowHillsPhoto
533 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 08, 2017 16:40 |  #25

Gregsiem wrote in post #18232885 (external link)

If you are going to be keeping your shutter speed up I wouldn't bother with a tripod for either of those lenses as long as your hand holding technique is reasonably good. I have the 600mm f4 IS II and shoot it hand held all the time for BIF. It's not just that you have less to carry, I find that tracking an erratic target is much easier handheld.

Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
811 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 08, 2017 17:04 |  #26

johnf3f wrote in post #18232327 (external link)
I think it is the same for most of us!

Let us know how you get on

Will do. Weather has been bad the last week or so but I'll be getting out as soon as it breaks but don't know how long it will take me to produce something worth sharing  :p.

Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
811 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 09, 2017 08:18 |  #27

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18237958 (external link)
If you are going to be keeping your shutter speed up I wouldn't bother with a tripod for either of those lenses as long as your hand holding technique is reasonably good. I have the 600mm f4 IS II and shoot it hand held all the time for BIF. It's not just that you have less to carry, I find that tracking an erratic target is much easier handheld.

My hand held technique is not great for a lens that long. Tough to keep the moving target in frame. I'm sure it will improve but there will be a learning curve. Will have to see what works. For flash the gimbal will be better.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 09, 2017 10:32 |  #28

Tom Camilleri wrote in post #18237840 (external link)
.... and actually got the similar new series 4 (must have been on sale) for $50 more, so that was a no-brainer.

NICE!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 05, 2017 04:20 |  #29

What I stumbled on to that works well for me is a ebay gimbal on my monopod.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2017 07:35 as a reply to  @ Tom Camilleri's post |  #30

Actually he is using the 400 f5.6, it is way lighter than the 150-600 C.
2.75 lbs compared to 4.3 lbs for the sigma 150-600 C

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

sponsored links

7,490 views & 5 likes for this thread
Recommend - BIF field tripod/monopod combo for gripped 7D Mk II + Sigma 150-600 C
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.