Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Feb 2017 (Friday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 5

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 03, 2017 14:17 |  #1

Is there any way to have my raw files from Canon 80D import to Lightroom 5?

Do I need to get Lightroom 6? Is Lightroom 6 the same as CC?

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2017 16:18 |  #2

Yes as long as you are happy to use the Adobe DNG Converter, you will need to check which version covers the 80D. This will convert your CR2 files to DNG files which LR 5 can operate on. Personally I this situation I would also archive the CR2 files as well as the DNG's that LR is using.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat.

Feb 03, 2017 16:46 |  #3

I ran into the same problem in November, when I got my 80D. My solution:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1472058

The .bat file will import from your card, open DNG converter, move .cr2s to a backup directory, open LR for you. Makes the whole process a lot less tedious.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 05, 2017 08:59 |  #4

Thank you all.

When doing the conversion, does the DNG file "lose" any information or is it just like a CR2?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by tzalman.

Feb 05, 2017 10:14 |  #5

firme wrote in post #18265214 (external link)
Thank you all.

When doing the conversion, does the DNG file "lose" any information or is it just like a CR2?

It is exactly the same image information as that in the CR2, but in a different container in which the metadata structure conforms to a standard format, which is why older editions of LR can read it. Camera makers make small and often trivial changes in the metadata for each new version of their proprietary Raws.

So the answer to your question is that the image data loses nothing, but there might be some essentially insignificant changes in the metadata, items that LR would probably ignore anyways.

Elie / אלי

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 06, 2017 09:06 |  #6

Was able to download version 9.5 to be able to use for the Canon 80D. Thanks.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 07, 2017 20:27 |  #7

I was able to convert to DNG and process.

I am contemplating on keeping the CR2, but although if I do it will take more space of my hard drive. Is it necessary to keep the CR2 or is it based on the person?

Also is there a noticeable difference between dng and DNG? Just a curiosity. Thanks.

scokar
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 07, 2017 21:34 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #8

Drive space is cheap. Keep the cr2 raw files as backups in another folder or drive

There is no difference dng and DNG

There might be minor differences between raw and dng but you can create dng files that store a copy of the original raw file inside. The trade off being larger files.

Another option is to use photoshop (or elements) along with the adobe camera raw utility and import 80d images using the metaraw plugin:

http://thepluginsite.c​om/products/metaraw/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.