Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Teleconverter help!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,860 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 12:31 |  #31

DreDaze wrote in post #18264501 (external link)
this seems pretty crazy, and i'm kinda surprised how many people seemed to be missing the point...do you know anyone that has sigma mount lenses? to just see if it somehow is able to attach on those lenses as well? if it can't i'd say you could return it as it's definitely not as described...even though you wouldn't have wanted it as described anyways

what do you mean that the electrical contact configuration can not mate to canon?

the end of the TC that is supposed to attach to the lens looks exactly like my sigma 2X TC...so it probably matches up fine

Canon 1.4X MkII shown. Mk III has more screws on one side as I recall.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,031 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 04, 2017 12:33 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #32

yeah, but that's the back end of two lenses...the end of the TC that attaches to the lens doesn't look like that

i realize now that wilt wasn't really talking about the lens not matching with the TC anyways

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (8 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 12:45 |  #33

DreDaze wrote in post #18264507 (external link)
yeah, but that's the back end of two lenses...the end of the TC that attaches to the lens doesn't look like that

i realize now that wilt wasn't really talking about the lens not matching with the TC anyways

Yup, looking at the last photo in post 21 from the thread starter, we see the ends of the TC and of the Canon lens, both of which are intended to mount in the female mount surface of the camera body. On the TC, one of the male bayonet lugs (at lower left) measures about 23mm across on my monitor; the same bayonet on the Canon lens is about 31mm across...they fit the same body?!

[edit: I just took that photo, enlarged it 200% and post it here so that everyone can see that both lens and TC are supposed to mount into the same camera body, yet the mount lugs do not match.]

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/mount_zpsbon7yojh.jpg

Now also look at the rightmost edge of that lug...on a Canon mount lens the lug ends precisely two contacts to the left of the group of 5 contacts (on a Canon TC) or two to the left of 8 contacts (on a Canon lens). It does so on the Canon lens at right, but is improperly positioned on the Sigma TC at left. Yet somehow both should mate to the contacts in a Canon body?!

We have clear evidence that the TC has Canon mount and compatible contacts on one side (that mates to the lens) but SA mount and contacts on the other side (that mates to the camera).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DreDaze
18,031 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 04, 2017 13:12 |  #34

yeah i was talking about the other end...the end that is fitting on the canon mount...i don't think there's anyone here that thinks the camera side is anything but a sony mount

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,659 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2017 13:23 |  #35

Well, that's good for the OP, return, not as described.

Wilt, all Canon TCs have a mismatched number of contacts front to back.
The front (lens side) of all Canon TCs have 11 (8 plus 3) contacts. The back have 7 (5 plus 2)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Wilt
41,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 13:27 |  #36

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18264547 (external link)
Well, that's good for the OP, return, not as described.

Wilt, all Canon TCs have a mismatched number of contacts front to back.
The front (lens side) of all Canon TCs have 11 (8 plus 3) contacts. The back have 7 (5 plus 2)

I am well aware of 8 contacts in a group on one side of the TC vs. 5 contacts in a group on the other side of the TC, even for a Canon TC. My point was the TWO of the contacts always lie to the right of the end of the male mount lug on the side that attaches to the camera body...the Sigma TC fails to have that positioning.

Photo of Canon TC and Canon lens, showing red line at right edge of lug, and how two contacts are to the right of that same line. Not if you look at the Sigma TC of the discussion (as seen in photo in post 34).

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Canonmount_zpskjmitoz7.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,659 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2017 13:31 |  #37

OK sorry, I guess that makes a few of us that are reading what you posted here wrong.

- The electrical contacts on the TWO SIDES of the teleconvertor DO NOT MATCH configuration, either.

Just a misunderstanding.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

DreDaze
18,031 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 04, 2017 13:31 |  #38

i wonder if there's anyone that would want such a TC...sigma camera using canon lens...and whether it would work or not...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,659 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 04, 2017 13:40 |  #39

I know that one can have SIGMA "re-mount" the higher cost lenses from SIGMA to Canon, to Nikon etc.

I also seem to recall that the SIGMA lens interface was supposed to follow the Canon more than any other,. SIGMA was way ahead of other 3rd parties with a USM counterpart,. and for years was ahead in re-engineering the Canon interface (may still be best at it today)

It would not surprise me at all if SIGMA has very similar overall communication with it's mount vs. Canon.I've often questioned whty SIGMA bothered with it's own mount anyway. If the Fovean based bodies of the mod 2000's had a Canon or Nikon mount, they would have sold a LOT more.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Wilt
41,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 04, 2017 13:44 |  #40

DreDaze wrote in post #18264552 (external link)
i wonder if there's anyone that would want such a TC...sigma camera using canon lens...and whether it would work or not...

The issue might be that while Sigma lenses are designed to accept different manufacturer commands for AF function, the Canon lens cannot do the same.

Wilt
41,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2017 13:53 |  #41

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18264557 (external link)
I've often questioned whty SIGMA bothered with it's own mount anyway. If the Fovean based bodies of the mod 2000's had a Canon or Nikon mount, they would have sold a LOT more.

Well, if you consider the hay that other lens makers could make, "Tamron brand lens works on Sigma camera body (with Nikon mount)"...

Sigma probably did not want that to happen.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,659 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2017 14:04 |  #42

Wilt wrote in post #18264567 (external link)
Well, if you consider the hay that other lens makers could make, "Tamron brand lens works on Sigma camera body (with Nikon mount)"...

Sigma probably did not want that to happen.

But at least they might actually have a market for their bodies. Truth is no one buys them, ever. I would have loved to try a Fovean SIGMA back in 2005.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Wilt
41,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 04, 2017 14:44 |  #43

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18264572 (external link)
But at least they might actually have a market for their bodies. Truth is no one buys them, ever. I would have loved to try a Fovean SIGMA back in 2005.

I do not disagree, Jake. But often a company's executives are so driven by their antipathy for competitors that it blinds them to more lucrative approaches. Been there, seen that.

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 04, 2017 23:27 |  #44

Thanks for the input everyone - I will request a return based on the fact that there is no mention of Canon in the listing.

Will update the thread with results!

Joel

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 05, 2017 22:59 |  #45

I requested a return through eBay and the seller said they will accept a return if it doesn't fit my lens and that the item is a "Canon to Sigma" lens...

So I'm happy with that but I'm still confounded by how this thing even exists.

Joel

sponsored links

7,701 views & 22 likes for this thread
Teleconverter help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.