Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to avoid shadows on backdrop?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,959 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 16, 2017 13:20 |  #31

Maybe it is me but what shadow on backdrop we talking. I see nothing. It is black backdrop and a 3/4 shots. Even with white bg there won't be any shadow on the backdrop.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 17, 2017 21:44 |  #32

bobbyz wrote in post #18246222 (external link)
Maybe it is me but what shadow on backdrop we talking. I see nothing. It is black backdrop and a 3/4 shots. Even with white bg there won't be any shadow on the backdrop.

The shadow doesn't show up in the sRGB image here in a browser, but it's pretty obvious in Photoshop.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 06, 2017 06:34 |  #33

bigVinnie wrote in post #18222696 (external link)
Someone kinda hit on the best solution with stating move the light source closer.

I do a LOT of green screen. Shadows on the backdrop totally hose the chromakey process. There are two solutions. The easiest is a larger light source. Aka get the biggest softbox or umbrellas you can find. Option b is light the backdrop. I do this sometimes with my 12 foot backdrop using 4' strip boxes.

The closer your light source is to the subject the larger it is to that subject.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by bigVinnie in
./showthread.php?p=182​22696&i=i181970733
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

What chromakey software do you use?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,907 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2017 09:11 |  #34

KatManDEW wrote in post #18246094 (external link)
Here's an example. The dark hair and jacket were pretty dark if I didn't add some front fill. Also ended up with some shadow from her nose. And I frequently get significant cheek shadows.

Edit: The backdrop shadow isn't near as visible here in my browser. And as usual, the photo is more saturated than when viewing in Photoshop. I'm using a calibrated NEC monitor, and I convert to sRGB with Save For Web.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by KatManDEW in
./showthread.php?p=182​46094&i=i243835138
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

for what it's worth, the shadow on this image is pretty easy to see. web browsers handle color profiles differently, that might be the problem others are having in not seeing the shadow ... and/or just a simple matter of not having a properly calibrated monitor.

what you are running into here is exactly why moving the subject away from the background is really the best/only option. Sure you can change your lighting, but what is the point of not being able to use the lighting you want? To maintain a longer focal length, maybe you can step through a doorway into a hall or next room? Or, if you are careful you might be able to just shoot wider?

or, if fill is what is causing your hardest shadow, maybe try bouncing the on axis light off the ceiling and flag off any light coming directly from the flash toward the subject.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Feb 06, 2017 09:17 |  #35

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18265990 (external link)
what you are running into here is exactly why moving the subject away from the background is really the best/only option. Sure you can change your lighting, but what is the point of not being able to use the lighting you want? .

^^^

what I said in post 10! "...so you see the benefit of both positioning the light closer to the subject AND the subject farther from the background, in terms of the relative amount of light falling on the background. Distance to the background increase also helps for flagging off light from getting to the background, and it allows more space for YOU to delivberately PUT light behind the subject to fall specifically on portions of the background, if YOU wish."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 06, 2017 09:53 |  #36

KatManDEW wrote in post #18265909 (external link)
What chromakey software do you use?

That particular setup I'm using PhotoKey Pro. http://fxhome.com/phot​okey (external link)

The current setup is a camera connected to a CamRanger in share mode. There is an iPad pro clamped to the tripod to review images with the client. Images are downloaded to an iMac. PhotoKey monitors the incoming directory for new images.

Images merged with background in PhotoKey then sent to PrintRipper for package printing. Printers are DNP DS40's and DS80's.

To give you an idea of volume I did a military ball saturday. I printed 136 packages at the event.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,907 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 06, 2017 10:53 |  #37

Wilt wrote in post #18265993 (external link)
^^^

what I said in post 10! "

what I said in post 2!!! :p

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 06, 2017 11:11 |  #38

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18265990 (external link)
for what it's worth, the shadow on this image is pretty easy to see. web browsers handle color profiles differently, that might be the problem others are having in not seeing the shadow ... and/or just a simple matter of not having a properly calibrated monitor.

what you are running into here is exactly why moving the subject away from the background is really the best/only option. Sure you can change your lighting, but what is the point of not being able to use the lighting you want? To maintain a longer focal length, maybe you can step through a doorway into a hall or next room? Or, if you are careful you might be able to just shoot wider?

or, if fill is what is causing your hardest shadow, maybe try bouncing the on axis light off the ceiling and flag off any light coming directly from the flash toward the subject.

Yes, web browsers handle images differently, and the background shadow in that photo is a good example of that.

I can see how moving the subject away from the background would be the best solution. One problem I have with that, in addition to working in small areas, is that when I move the subject away from the background that background is not large enough, and I can easily get the sides and top of the backdrop in the photos.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 06, 2017 11:13 |  #39

bigVinnie wrote in post #18266023 (external link)
That particular setup I'm using PhotoKey Pro. http://fxhome.com/phot​okey (external link)

The current setup is a camera connected to a CamRanger in share mode. There is an iPad pro clamped to the tripod to review images with the client. Images are downloaded to an iMac. PhotoKey monitors the incoming directory for new images.

Images merged with background in PhotoKey then sent to PrintRipper for package printing. Printers are DNP DS40's and DS80's.

To give you an idea of volume I did a military ball saturday. I printed 136 packages at the event.

Thank you! That sounds like a great setup you have!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 06, 2017 11:16 |  #40

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18266065 (external link)
what I said in post 2!!! :p

What the OP figured out for himself in opening post! :lol:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

17,258 views & 34 likes for this thread
How to avoid shadows on backdrop?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.