Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Teleconverter help!

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2017 09:00 |  #46

This is what Sigma had to say.

"Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. We never made a tele converter that was a different mount on the front and back. We only have a records of serial numbers for items we have sold here in the States so please contact your local Sigma distributor for the best help. We have enclosed a link to help you find them."

Joel

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 06, 2017 09:22 |  #47

joeblack2022 wrote in post #18265985 (external link)
This is what Sigma had to say.

"Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. We never made a tele converter that was a different mount on the front and back. We only have a records of serial numbers for items we have sold here in the States so please contact your local Sigma distributor for the best help. We have enclosed a link to help you find them."

My guess about the background story...
A high level Sigma exec was a Canon film camera user before Sigma introduced their own digital camera. He had lots of Canon lenses, and Sigma had not fleshed out its own lens lineup. So he had the Engineering department put together a Sigma teleconvertor, which allowed use of the Canon lenses on his new Sigma camera with increased FL. That item got put on the market and ended up in your hands.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2017 10:39 |  #48

If Sigma confirmed that they never produced/sold a Canon lens to Sigma body converter, you may have, either a misguided knock-off of a Sigma converter, or a unique R&D special that would be a collector's item, possibly worth big $$$.

If you can confirm (somehow) that it will take a Canon lens and mount on a Sigma body and actually work,... put it on E-Bay asking big bucks for a unique collectable.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,238 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2017 11:24 |  #49

MakisM1 wrote in post #18266052 (external link)
If Sigma confirmed that they never produced/sold a Canon lens to Sigma body converter, you may have, either a misguided knock-off of a Sigma converter, or a unique R&D special that would be a collector's item, possibly worth big $$$.

If you can confirm (somehow) that it will take a Canon lens and mount on a Sigma body and actually work,... put it on E-Bay asking big bucks for a unique collectable.

I am still skeptical that you will be able to control the aperture and AF of a Canon lens mounted on a Sigma body.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2017 11:42 |  #50

msowsun wrote in post #18266104 (external link)
I am still skeptical that you will be able to control the aperture and AF of a Canon lens mounted on a Sigma body.

Hence the '...and actually work...'

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,870 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2017 12:25 |  #51

My guess about the background:

For a small fee, Sigma will change the mounts on your Sigma lens. For instance, if you buy a Sigma lens that has a Nikon mount, and then you switch over to Canon, Sigma will swap the mounts for you.

https://www.dpreview.c​om …cent-global-vision-lenses (external link)

https://www.sigmaphoto​.com …/mount-conversion-service (external link)

These links led to web pages that speak of Sigma's current mount-changing service, for recent lenses.....but I think they did it previously, although perhaps on a more limited basis.

Anyway, I think that someone had Sigma switch the mounts on their tele-converter, the same way they do it on lenses. And I don't think it was necessarily some high-level Sigma executive. Sigma does this routinely for anyone who mails their lens to them and pays a couple hundred bucks - really not a big deal or special or anything. Just everyday mount-swapping.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 06, 2017 13:20 |  #52

I don't think sigma offered to change mounts before...which is why it's only available for their new global vision lenses

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 06, 2017 16:22 |  #53

A more down to earth theory, some guy made it in his basement.

Taking it further, Someone with a SIGMA Foveon, decided to get into wildlife or sports AFTER picking up a STEAL on a Gen 1 non IS Canon supertelephoto, like the 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f.2,8 or 500mm f/4.5

I really would love to know if it functions!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2017 21:31 |  #54

I would be more inclined to keep it if it were Sigma on the lens side and Canon on the body side... One would imagine tapping into the Sigma mount market, which has low resale value from what I've seen.

I'm entertaining offers if someone is brave enough to experiment with it.  :p

Joel

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,969 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 06, 2017 22:57 |  #55

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18266376 (external link)
A more down to earth theory, some guy made it in his basement.

Possibly the basement of dpreview user "tstruth"
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/31546​74 (external link)

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

8,272 views & 22 likes for this thread
Teleconverter help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.