Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 26, 2017 16:08 as a reply to  @ post 18256175 |  #61

The others were like this too. It isn't that they can't figure it out, it is that they have to honor a time delay before offering decoded batteries, or some other factor involved. Its not rocket science. :)

A little more history for you... the lp-e4 aftermarket batteries were decoded out of the gate, then mysteriously, they weren't for a long time, now are again.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 26, 2017 16:19 |  #62

I've used Wasabi batteries for a long time. On my 60D, they work fine. On either of the 5D3 or 6D, it shows an error prompt. After selecting "okay", everything works fine.

Either of the *chargers* that came with my 60D or 6D charge them fine. The charger that came with the 5D3 won't charge the Wasabis. (It just blinks fast and doesn't do anything.)

On the M5, it similarly issues an error prompt, but then works fine. Almost. The current battery level (on the camera) is NOT displayed. So you don't know how much charge you have remaining.

Canon has gotten more aggressive about 3rd party batteries...

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 26, 2017 16:43 |  #63

dasmith232 wrote in post #18256195 (external link)
I've used Wasabi batteries for a long time. On my 60D, they work fine. On either of the 5D3 or 6D, it shows an error prompt. After selecting "okay", everything works fine.

when I got my 5D3, I had one old Wasabi that did the same, but the other two more recent ones had no problem. I have bought four since, and they also have no such issues, in 5D3, 7D2, or 5D4.

I recall that it was a problem for older ones when 5D3 came out specifically. Many that had worked fine in 5D2 were not able to fully function in 5D3. Of course 5D3 added a lot of new battery info to it, so it made sense. At that time, Wasabi was replacing older ones for free with newly "chipped" versions that would be fully compatible with the new features of the 5D3.

this was exactly the time that I became full supporter of Wasabi. Not only did they give me a new free battery, but they were the first to decode the new battery functionality of the 5D3.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,455 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 26, 2017 23:33 |  #64

I've been using Wasabi exclusively for the past several years in my 5DIII and it has never let me down in any way. I'm really impressed with it.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Joe ­ Cyr
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Joe Cyr.

Feb 03, 2017 07:15 |  #65

I decided to give the Powerextra Replacement Canon LP-E4 battery a try. It arrived two days ago and is in the camera now. It is not an exact fit (there is an ever so slight overhang of the plastic endcap). But it fit snugly in the camera and is working fine thus far. Hard to beat the $21 price.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 1D (MARK III),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)
http://josephcyrphotog​raphy.smugmug.com (external link)

Joe ­ Cyr
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 06, 2017 14:59 |  #66

Not sure if anyone cares, but so far, the Powercetra battery has performed admirably. I spent several hours in single digit temps Saturday shooting photos and again on Sunday and the battery is still showing 77 percent capacity.

Canon 1D (MARK III),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)
http://josephcyrphotog​raphy.smugmug.com (external link)

dmead516
198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 07, 2017 18:22 |  #67

Would anyone be concerned that the use of the aftermarket LP-E4 batteries would damage the camera in any way? This would make me worry a little. its one thing to pay $160 for a battery; quite another to have to have it repaired or buy another one after the $50 battery did something weird and caused an electrical issue.

1DMK3, 1DMK4, 1NRS, 5DMK4, 16-35 4.0, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 70-300 4-5.6L, , 17-85, 50 1.8, 18-200, 135L, Mamyia 645AF, Metz 60-Ct-1, Metz 58

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,340 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 07, 2017 18:25 |  #68

dmead516 wrote in post #18267292 (external link)
Would anyone be concerned that the use of the aftermarket LP-E4 batteries would damage the camera in any way? This would make me worry a little. its one thing to pay $160 for a battery; quite another to have to have it repaired or buy another one after the $50 battery did something weird and caused an electrical issue.

I wouldn't be concerned over electrical issues as long as you buy a reputable brand.

I would be a bit concerned about the weather sealing as some have noted aftermarket batteries not fitting 100% perfectly. Of course this is only an issue on the 1D series.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,066 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 08, 2017 12:17 |  #69

dmead516 wrote in post #18267292 (external link)

Why do you think it might hurt the camera?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

dmead516
198 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2017 13:46 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #70

Well, nothing concrete to go on; just figuring if the battery was not name brand there could have been some sort of overheating or weird electrical charge given off by the unit that could mess up the circuitry. Has it ever happened? Not sure. I am just thinking that the way electronic stuff is these days you never know. I have an example (not camera related) in the back of my head but I cant think exactly as to what it was. Maybe another time!

1DMK3, 1DMK4, 1NRS, 5DMK4, 16-35 4.0, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 70-300 4-5.6L, , 17-85, 50 1.8, 18-200, 135L, Mamyia 645AF, Metz 60-Ct-1, Metz 58

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,092 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 08, 2017 13:51 |  #71

mike_d wrote in post #18267293 (external link)
I wouldn't be concerned over electrical issues as long as you buy a reputable brand.

I would be a bit concerned about the weather sealing as some have noted aftermarket batteries not fitting 100% perfectly. Of course this is only an issue on the 1D series.

Yes. In over 10 years I don't believe I've ever heard of damage to a camera caused by a well-known brand-name 3rd party battery manufacturer. There might have been some discussion over fit and life, but I've never heard a report of damage from the well-known brand names.

OTOH, I have heard of catastrophic damage from "Canon"-branded counterfeits.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by firme.

Feb 08, 2017 16:17 |  #72

Instead of starting a new post, I thought I asked here as it is being discussed.

I purchased a Canon 80D and have been contemplating whether to buy a Canon battery ($64) or go with a off brand battery. Has anyone heard or used a Green Extreme?

https://www.adorama.co​m/gxlpe6.html (external link)

Last week I went to a local camera store and they mentioned 3rd party can damage the body (not all) because he conveniently sold a 3rd party battery and has been selling it for many years. Also his Canon battery was roughly at $90.

Also in the near future and looking to get a grip for the camera. Is it a no no to combine Canon with off brand?

Thank you in advanced.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 08, 2017 18:06 |  #73

firme wrote in post #18268129 (external link)
Instead of starting a new post, I thought I asked here as it is being discussed.

I purchased a Canon 80D and have been contemplating whether to buy a Canon battery ($64) or go with a off brand battery. Has anyone heard or used a Green Extreme?

Last week I went to a local camera store and they mentioned 3rd party can damage the body (not all) because he conveniently sold a 3rd party battery and has been selling it for many years. Also his Canon battery was roughly at $90.

Also in the near future and looking to get a grip for the camera. Is it a no no to combine Canon with off brand?

Thank you in advanced.

"Last week I went to a local camera store and they mentioned 3rd party can damage the body" - the WORST fitting battery I own (or have owned) is the LP-E4N that came with my 1DX! Go figure........

I don't have the 80D but I do have a 7D2 with grip and I would suggest that you use the AA battery insert/carrier and forget about Lithium batteries. That sounds like heresy I know but I was very disappointed with the battery life on my 7D2 with the OEM battery, Dot Photo batteries and EX-Pro batteries - Note I was comparing to my 1DX.

On a whim I dug out some old, partially charged, Sanyo Eneloop AA cells and put then in the holder - then stuck them in the grip. They weighed a little more but seemed to last for ever, well not really but quite a long time:-)

I gave them a good charge and put them back in. Now these are 5+ year old 1900Mah Sanyo cells so they are pretty close to a single Canon Lp-E6N - so why do they last longer (quite a bit longer) than 2 Lp-E6N batteries let alone my 3rd party packs?

I do a lot with re-chargeable batteries and this is not logical - to say the least! However I am finding the "Old Technology" NIMH cells to be performing s well as or better than two OEM Lithium packs of double the nominal capacity! Note this is with OLD 1900 Mah Sanyo Eneloop cells - I wonder what the current 2500 Mah Sanyo AA cells would do?

P.S. I have just checked my 7D2 - the Sanyo batteries were charged in November and have been in the camera a week or so, approx 1K shots taken still reading the maximum 4 bars. I just don't understand how they perform so well? I don't care because they are cheap!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 08, 2017 18:25 |  #74

firme wrote in post #18268129 (external link)

Thank you in advanced.

I think Green Extreme is another Adorama brand. Kind of like Flashpoint. I could be wrong.

As for using 3rd party with Canon brand, I never had a problem with it when I had my 5D Mark III. The aftermarket batteries actually lasted longer than the Canon because it had a higher mAh. These aftermarket batteries are "clones" of the OEM. So it will have a chip in it so that it will communicate and work with the camera and the OEM battery.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 09, 2017 14:17 |  #75

I don't have any Adorama batteries, but all my LP-E6 other than the ones that came with the camera are Wasabi. They are a good deal less than the Green Extreme. I would tend to trust the Adorama stuff though.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

29,186 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.