Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Feb 2017 (Friday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Was buying a 5D4 a stupid decision ?

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Patbil10.

Feb 10, 2017 12:29 |  #1

Was buying a 5D4 a stupid decision ? I do love photography and it definitly is part of who I am. I will shoot the odd wedding here and there but it's not something I'm pushing for since I do have a full time job and shooting weddings would take me away from my wife and kids. Most of the weddings I do are from referrals, so my marketing is mostly word of mouth. I have no website but a I do have a nice Flickr account.So, for the most part I use my camera to photograph my kids and family events. I also have a 5D3 that's been relegated to backup body and it only has 26K actuations !

Anyone else out there in the same boat ? It's not like a can't afford all this camera gear and I am happy with all of it... :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

sponsored links
3Rotor
926 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 10, 2017 12:34 |  #2

I don't think you made a stupid mistake, hobbyist can have nice equipment too. I'm a hobbyist and I too enjoy having nice toys to play with. You're able to afford your equipment. Can you spend the extra money on other things? Yeah, of course you can. If it's not keeping you from providing for you family, I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,410 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 10, 2017 12:44 |  #3

Did it put you in debt or are the kids going hungry? If not, great decision.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Patbil10
THREAD ­ STARTER
353 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 10, 2017 12:47 |  #4

Personal finances as well as family well being not affected. Thanks guys ! :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,487 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 10, 2017 12:52 |  #5

I think photography as a vice, where one has 2 good bodies and a handful of good lenses, is a great thing, as long as the equipment is being used, otherwise it is clutter and a depreciating asset. (I have seen too many Hoarders episodes)

Some like boats, fast cars, ton of tech in the man cave, etc, so less than $5000 in 2 camera bodies doesn't seem too extravagant for a hobby provided your financial needs are all being met elsewhere.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Armando ­ LaO ­ Sr
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Feb 10, 2017 12:52 |  #6

For me it is. I did not know anything about Canon. I came from a Sony crop camera. And I used all the presets on it. I should have researched more before spending a lot. I needed it for my work and business. And now I have to deal with learning how to use it. I took 5 classes so far :(

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 10, 2017 13:39 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I have an entire closet full of gear. I don't need any of it. I like it. I enjoy it. I can afford it. I am sure buying your 5D4 was a good decision. It is smarter than dying with a pile of money.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,868 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 10, 2017 13:43 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18269724 (external link)
It is smarter than dying with a pile of money.

Truth.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Patbil10
THREAD ­ STARTER
353 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 10, 2017 13:47 |  #9

Ok, I'm feeling better about my purchase ! :-)

evolyllaphotography
68 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2016

Feb 10, 2017 14:40 |  #10

Nothing wrong with paying for a hobby. It's very normal that enthusiasts have better equipments than the pros nowadays. How are you liking the Mark IV? I'd love to upgrade too :)

Toronto Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,233 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2017 14:53 |  #11

Patbil10 wrote in post #18269676 (external link)
Was buying a 5D4 a stupid decision ? I do love photography and it definitly is part of who I am. I will shoot the odd wedding here and there but it's not something I'm pushing for since I do have a full time job and shooting weddings would take me away from my wife and kids. Most of the weddings I do are from referrals, so my marketing is mostly word of mouth. I have no website but a I do have a nice Flickr account.So, for the most part I use my camera to photograph my kids and family events. I also have a 5D3 that's been relegated to backup body and it only has 26K actuations !

Anyone else out there in the same boat ? It's not like a can't afford all this camera gear and I am happy with all of it... :-)

If it didn't create a financial burden, then I can't say it was a stupid decision. On the other hand, its hard to see how owning a 5D3 and a 5D4 is practical in your situation. Even a 5D3 and 7D2 would be more practical because of the 1.6 crop factor, if nothing else. With that said, everybody has made impractical purchases because they simply want something regardless of how much sense it makes to have it. Did you buy the 5D4 because it you wanted the latest and greatest, or did you buy it for some other reason?

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2017 03:00 |  #12

Nearly all hobbies are money pits once you get fairly serious about them... be it firearms, vehicles, photography, boats, etc. As long as you can afford it and it's getting some use, then I wouldn't worry about it. Photography isn't what pays my bills, so I'm another one with a closet full of gear who only does paid shoots a few times a year. I hope that as I get older that trend will reverse and I can shoot more and "work" less :lol:. Until then, I'm thankful that I can afford my expensive toys and try to shoot as much as I can.

GEAR LIST

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 11, 2017 13:44 |  #13

Photography is on the cheaper side in terms of expensive hobbies.

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,299 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 11, 2017 14:57 |  #14

panicatnabisco wrote in post #18270638 (external link)
Photography is on the cheaper side in terms of expensive hobbies.

So true. For me, it's on par with camping, canoeing, and painting. The other hobbies that my friends engage in are so much more costly - boating, big game hunting, golfing, attending football games, motorcycle and car collecting, etc. Photography is a bargain!

So no, buying a 5D4 wan't stupid at all - you only paid a few thousand for it.......you can use it for a couple/few years and then sell it and recoup at least half your money!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,955 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by kf095. (5 edits in all)

Feb 11, 2017 21:04 |  #15

About ten years ago we paid 16K$ cash at Toronto boat show for V-hull boat. It was stupid, but kids like it.
I sold 5Dc after it started to show its age and never liked 5DMKII. On previous week I almost purchased 6D for kids, family and else, but paid for another Leica instead. It is stupid, but my 500D still works well. ;-)a
P.S. It is nice to see younger generation still present on Flickr. :-)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

6,068 views & 32 likes for this thread
Was buying a 5D4 a stupid decision ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.