Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 11:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beginners/Intro/Money well spent

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,908 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 12, 2017 15:18 |  #16

My first post has the link to the refurb section of canonpricewatch...if something is out of stock you can have them notify you when it is in...it's a great service...also, like i mentioned they frequently offer more discounts every month or so, if time is not an issue

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 12, 2017 15:25 |  #17

DreDaze wrote in post #18271495 (external link)
My first post has the link to the refurb section of canonpricewatch...if something is out of stock you can have them notify you when it is in...it's a great service...also, like i mentioned they frequently offer more discounts every month or so, if time is not an issue

Oh, I did not disregard your link. I have the site bookmarked now, and plan to browse lens options.

GB
Gear List

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,253 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 12, 2017 15:35 |  #18

Over the years I've purchased a body and two lenses, refurbished, direct from Canon. They were indistinguishable from new and are serving me well.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,952 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by johnf3f.

Feb 12, 2017 15:40 |  #19

Don't buy a "bundle" - they are selling you what they want to sell not what you need!

For now I would suggest that you get the camera and an 18-55 STM lens - play with it for a while and then see what YOU need for your uses. You may find that you want more focal length, you may find that a tripod is more important, Flash? etc etc. You may need nothing more!

I bought some junk (thankfully not too much) when I started out and fairly quickly got a better idea of what I really needed. Luckily I had a more experienced photographer to help me along (invaluable!).

For now get a decent camera (T5i looks like a good place to start) a decent lens (18-55 Stm) and just go out and shoot! Worry about other lenses/accessories when you find a need for them:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2017 16:21 |  #20

Just to support what others have said -- when I'm ready to buy, I check CanonPriceWatch for the "street price" and the "refurbished" price. I live in Washington state, so I have to pay 9% sales tax on any refurbished item. Given that, if both the street price and Canon refurbished have the item in stock, I buy whichever is cheapest. I've had great success with both refurbished and street prices. The street price items are brand new from an authorized Canon dealer. I do NOT use the "grey market" ebay dealers. I'm concerned about the return policies, possible lack of warranty, etc. If neither street prices nor refurbished has what I want, then I buy from B&H, Adorama, or my local Canon dealer (Kenmore Camera).

Once you have your equipment, you might want to check with your renters or homeowners insurance company about insuring your gear. My equipment is insured for about $10 per $1000 of equipment per year. If there is a loss, there's no deductible. In addition to theft, it's also covered for any damage -- drops, water, etc.

Good luck with your purchases, and enjoy the photography!

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,952 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 12, 2017 16:34 as a reply to  @ LJ3Jim's post |  #21

Hadn't considered the insurance side for the OP.

When I took out my current policy (in the UK) I specified £25K+ ($31000+) of camera gear and listed the expensive bits - all risks, anywhere on the planet, extra cost? Zero! Yup I couldn't believe it either! Note this was cheaper than my, than, existing policy that didn't cover my camera gear at all! Thank you Santander:-)

Probably a bit early for the OP to worry about this sort of thing?

Let us just get him up and running - then we can spend his money:twisted:

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 12, 2017 17:22 |  #22

Kinda steering away from topic for a sec, does anyone know if batteries are interchangeable between T5i and T6i?

GB
Gear List

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2017 17:36 |  #23

GoDsBuTTeR wrote in post #18271632 (external link)
Kinda steering away from topic for a sec, does anyone know if batteries are interchangeable between T5i and T6i?

They are not.

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 12, 2017 18:05 |  #24

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18271649 (external link)
They are not.

Thanks! That's disappointing. Looks like I'll be leaning more toward a T6i for myself as well. Makes more sense to have two cameras capable of being fully compatible with each other.

GB
Gear List

grasshopper315
109 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 12, 2017 18:55 |  #25

Even if you plan on buying new I find the refurbish price from Canon USA direct a good reference point. Here is the direct link to Canon USA EOS refurb site.

https://shop.usa.canon​.com …e:&maxPrice:&pa​geSize:72& (external link)

I've purchased a 7D and lenses, on sale, without a problem. You can get a good deal if you can wait for a sale. Check out the refrub lenses as well.

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 12, 2017 18:59 as a reply to  @ grasshopper315's post |  #26

Have you paid any attention to how often out of stock refurbs are restocked? I see a T6i with 18-55 stm and 55-250stm for $670, but it's out of stock.

GB
Gear List

grasshopper315
109 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 12, 2017 19:25 as a reply to  @ GoDsBuTTeR's post |  #27

Stock on refurbs are hit our miss. They could have stock tomorrow or could take a month. Some items, especially on the lens side, could take several months. I think in general the T6i would pop up often.

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by GoDsBuTTeR.

Feb 12, 2017 20:26 |  #28

Update:

Would this lens 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, take away the need for the 55-250? I know the focal length is drastically different, I guess what I am asking is would this one lens get me by for a while to see if I need want a longer focal length?

GB
Gear List

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2017 20:57 |  #29

GoDsBuTTeR wrote in post #18271816 (external link)
Update:

Would this lens 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, take away the need for the 55-250? I know the focal length is drastically different, I guess what I am asking is would this one lens get me by for a while to see if I need want a longer focal length?

Good question, and the answer is yes. The extra 56-135 over the 18-55 opens up a whole new world. The 18-135 is what both my wife and I started with, and then we moved on as we figured out what kinds of photos we like to take.

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Feb 12, 2017 21:07 |  #30

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18271835 (external link)
Good question, and the answer is yes. The extra 56-135 over the 18-55 opens up a whole new world. The 18-135 is what both my wife and I started with, and then we moved on as we figured out what kinds of photos we like to take.

Just pulled the trigger on one camera... Thanks for the response!

GB
Gear List

sponsored links

5,993 views & 40 likes for this thread
Beginners/Intro/Money well spent
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.