Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 17:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help pricing a huge commercial job

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 14, 2017 17:49 |  #1

I need help figuring out what to do for this job quote!

Here's the somewhat loose details:
On location truck parts between 1000-5000 part numbers
3-5 photos per part
I supply lighting and backgrounds
They pick items each day and assist with placement of heavy items
Ongoing project with delivery of photos as edited

We briefly discussed how to charge, by hour, by item or by photo. Has anyone done a job of this scale? I know it's a really great opportunity for me so I don't want to over/under price myself.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Ann
Gear List

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,432 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 14, 2017 20:35 |  #2

Day rate.

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2017 20:59 |  #3

Yup, Day rate

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2017 21:16 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

https://petapixel.com …hotographers-charge-2016/ (external link)

Scroll down to the 'Per-Image Pricing' section. Then decide for yourself, based on your modus operandi, expected setup time, and the possibility of scope-creep on the part of the client.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 15, 2017 07:20 |  #5

Day rate for sure. When you have a day rate they are more likely to actually help you more because they can get more product photographed. If you do it per photo or item then they have no vested interesting in helping you work any faster and are less likely to help or come running when you need help with that heavy item.

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2017 07:28 |  #6

Never make a low first offer. you can (almost) never raise it in negotiations.

First offer should be high enough to give ample negotiating to reduce it BASED ON FACTS or CONDITIONS which may lower your cost/effort.

For this project, I agree daily rate, for all the reasons given and more.

JIM

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 15, 2017 07:55 |  #7

agree with everyone else.

daily rate.

don't forget to factor in post production time. you may want to set expectations with time required to set up/take pics of each product so you don't get flooded with half the stuff on day 1.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

annietex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2017 08:45 |  #8

Thanks SO much ya'll! Your input is super helpful!

Ann
Gear List

annietex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2017 08:56 |  #9

mikeinctown wrote in post #18274245 (external link)
Day rate for sure. When you have a day rate they are more likely to actually help you more because they can get more product photographed. If you do it per photo or item then they have no vested interesting in helping you work any faster and are less likely to help or come running when you need help with that heavy item.

Excellent point!

Ann
Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 15, 2017 10:13 |  #10

Day rate, but be prepared to give them an estimated number of items you expect to be able to photograph in a day so they can calculate the overall cost to them.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 16, 2017 15:56 |  #11

I was on the other side of the table for something similar. We brought in three photographers and two bid for the job as a whole and one itemized and included a day rate for shooting. We went with one of the all-ins. It was a big retail catalog/web shoot and we paid them BUCKETS of money.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 16, 2017 16:04 |  #12

Fernando wrote in post #18275790 (external link)
I was on the other side of the table for something similar. We brought in three photographers and two bid for the job as a whole and one itemized and included a day rate for shooting. We went with one of the all-ins. It was a big retail catalog/web shoot and we paid them BUCKETS of money.

How did you make that decision? How competitive were the rates?

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,467 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 16, 2017 19:07 |  #13

I try to be realistic about how complicated the images will be versus how many shots that I can achieve in a day. Then I decide if it's to my advantage to charge by the piece or by the day. It will obviously be faster if you have on set art direction, support to prep, move and catalog the pieces. Ultimately, you will need to account for your time, expertise, usage and editing time of the images. As a former mentor once said, "eggs are cheaper by the dozen". It was this guy that shot for a large mail order catalog and we famously shot just over 100 items in one day. I guarantee you, he billed by the shot not the day. What are the expectations and how complicated are the shots?

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Feb 16, 2017 21:36 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Make sure you factor in and itemise post-processing. Some clients get the impression that the only work the photographer does happens on site. They don't get to see all the hours spent at home/office doing post-processing. And, mind you, shooting parts and equipment not uncommonly involves A LOT of post-processing time, as these items normally have scratches and dust galore.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

2,601 views & 8 likes for this thread
Need help pricing a huge commercial job
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.