Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 13 Feb 2017 (Monday) 21:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ginger Senior

genedarrell
604 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 13, 2017 21:23 |  #1

Probably one of my best water shots

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.genespics.com (external link)
Sony A7RIII,Sony F2.8 70-200, L F4 24-105, Canon 17-40 L,Canon 50 1.4, Sigma 120-300 2.8 IS,GODOX V860II SX2 ,Canon 2X extender II

sponsored links
AZ ­ Pix
565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2017 10:17 |  #2

Very cool scene!

BlackBull
578 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 15, 2017 16:04 |  #3

I'm not sure of the composition but it's still a very nice shot.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

genedarrell
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 16, 2017 07:15 as a reply to  @ BlackBull's post |  #4

how so?

Sony A7RIII,Sony F2.8 70-200, L F4 24-105, Canon 17-40 L,Canon 50 1.4, Sigma 120-300 2.8 IS,GODOX V860II SX2 ,Canon 2X extender II

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Didereaux. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2017 07:57 |  #5

Since you posted this as a commercial shot 'Senior' photo I will take the liberty of giving you my impressions. The girl has a relatively thick waist. and a bad choice in dress styles because it accentuates it. I think if you had her twist towards the camera this would 'thin' the waist a bit and would help correct the bad stiff arm angle of the bear arm. the far arm and hand are also badly neglected, perhaps by having her reach up and touch her hair on that side would help.

Lastly the framing/crop is well, just not right. way too much space behind her, and too little in front. The very least would be to center her, a standard position for those looking into the camera, but I think more to the right would be the best. Put her almost to the right 1/3rd line. Lastly some reflected fill light to fill in the shadows would help as well.

Just my take on things.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2017 08:06 |  #6

Didereaux wrote in post #18275332 (external link)
Since you posted this as a commercial shot 'Senior' photo I will take the liberty of giving you my impressions. The girl has a relatively thick waist. and a bad choice in dress styles because it accentuates it. I think if you had her twist towards the camera this would 'thin' the waist a bit and would help correct the bad stiff arm angle of the bear arm. the far arm and hand are also badly neglected, perhaps by having her reach up and touch her hair on that side would help.

Lastly the framing/crop is well, just not right. way too much space behind her, and too little in front. The very least would be to center her, a standard position for those looking into the camera, but I think more to the right would be the best. Put her almost to the right 1/3rd line. Lastly some reflected fill light to fill in the shadows would help as well.

Just my take on things.

I agree w/ this and also need more light on her face, it appears to be 1/2-1 stop lower than the BG

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

genedarrell
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 16, 2017 08:28 as a reply to  @ Didereaux's post |  #7

Thanks for your comments. That is the beauty of this forum. Everybody has a different eye for each image and that helps us see what can be improved. Never a perfect shot. Thanks again

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,351 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 19, 2017 22:07 |  #8

I rarely shoot with water like this with lights, but it reminds me of the one time I tried, with flash added. I realized the challenge of the lines or marks on legs from light bouncing off an irregular water surface. Not particularly easy with an umbrella. But I think if I try a snoot or or aiming the light different, I may have more success for the look I want.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

01Ryan10
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by 01Ryan10.

Feb 20, 2017 15:02 |  #9

I think you may have missed an opportunity with the shot, at least in the way you presented it here. There looks to be some really nice back lighting on her. I would of liked to see her hair more free falling than coming over her shoulders. This would of given a lot more highlighted hair. Looks to me your exposure was for a solid patch of hair on her head, (which still looks too "digital" to me); however, her face looks really "digital" if that makes any sense. I won't comment on other aspects as I see the hair and face (not her physical face, but the lighting/rendering/pos​t of it) the most major issues for me.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2017 17:11 |  #10

Every time I saw the thread name, my mind immediately went to the wrong age bracket and I thought of a sexy red-haired senior citizen, and not a Senior portrait :-P

To get past that immediate bias, I adjusted color balance because her facial tones seemed too blue. I also adjusted the crop a tiny bit, to remove some of the space behind her.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/abcdef_zps7t5avhwo.jpg

And although I inherently know that the camera might be truly level to the horizon, and the background spit of land may recede away from the camera from one side of the frame to the other, the apparent 'not level waterline' was too distracting to leave alone!

Lastly, she seems underexposed. So I corrected that as well.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jebrady03
164 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 24, 2017 05:15 |  #11

The face appears to be heavily processed with little detail, at least to me. Did the original have really dark, heavy shadows on the face?

genedarrell
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 24, 2017 11:34 as a reply to  @ jebrady03's post |  #12

Which one? The original or the one Wilt did? I prefer mine over Wilt's as the highlights are to bright and the image now feels washed out as well as loosing the contrast in the water. I could have increased the exposure on her face a touch. I also like the idea Ryan's idea of letting her hair down on the sun side of her body. Her face in mine has very little to no processing, she has a great complexion.

In response to Wilt's comments the shore is getting further from the camera from right to left.

ranmasu
277 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 24, 2017 12:21 |  #13

I prefer the original poster's photo.

Randy

jebrady03
164 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 24, 2017 19:03 |  #14

genedarrell wrote in post #18283847 (external link)
Which one? The original or the one Wilt did?

Both, but I was referring to the original. High ISO with heavy noise reduction?

genedarrell
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 24, 2017 21:27 as a reply to  @ jebrady03's post |  #15

no, if you notice i shot at ISO 100. Noise reduction off

sponsored links

4,790 views & 7 likes for this thread
Ginger Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.