Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Following up with potential clients?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2017 13:24 |  #1

I am just wondering how everyone goes about following up with potential/former clients that have contacted you for your services.

Here is the backstory on my situation:

- Potential client (co-owner of restaurant) contacts me wanting me to take photos of restaurant and food for menu and website. Asks me to give him an estimate.

- I send estimate and he says he needs to go over it with other owner. Gets back to me and says they are fine with estimate and ask about my availability.

- I send them my availability and he asks me to send him my phone number so the other owner (head chef of restaurant) can get ahold of me with all the details and arrange a time to meet up to discuss things in person.

- I send my phone number and he says they will be in contact with me later that week when he returns from business trip.

- Week goes by and I hear nothing so I message again. No response.

- Two more weeks go by and I message again. No response.

I am curious as to how many times people try and contact potential clients? I do have the cell phone number of the owner that is supposed to be contacting me but I do not know if I should be calling that trying to reach them as well. As this has never really happened to me before, I'd love to hear from those who more experience than me. I don't want to come across as unprofessional.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 16, 2017 13:49 |  #2

Following up is being professional, but at some point you have to accept that the ship has sailed. My experience is in another industry. We'd regularly follow up on proposals that have gone unanswered. It's just good business practice. Calling once a week doesn't seem too pesky to me.

flickr (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 17, 2017 12:48 |  #3

My experience is in wedding photography, if an email goes unanswered, I will send a follow up 2-3 days later (if communication was quick and regular before the drop off). After that I wait another week. Then 1 month. If still no answer I write it off as a dead lead and move on. Sometimes several months later the potential client will reach back out but very seldom.

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 17, 2017 14:30 |  #4

I should mention I have had previous dealings with this particular restaurant and it was a little bit difficult to get in contact with them as each person would pass me off to the other.

I just wanted to see what others did as I want to show interest in the potential job without appearing pushy, while not wasting my time on a dead-end at the same time.

Thanks all.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 17, 2017 15:03 |  #5

I am in the same business and find that most are window shopping, not ready because they're still developing recipes ornate prepared to spend the money. It sounds like you've done what you can and anything else would simply be too much.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Following up with potential clients?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.