Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 12:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8-15mm Fisheye

dhornick
727 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2017 12:23 |  #1

Considering the purchase of a 8-15mm Fisheye lens. I have no real need for it and actually am wondering how much I would use it. What I would really like is a 8-15mm or thereabouts non Fisheye lens. I had a 10-22mm EFS lens which was a perfect Wide Angle lens but have since moved to a Full Frame camera and thus the EFS lenses do not fit.

Anybody with the 8-15? Do like? Do you use it often or in what situations do you use it?

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7 III | Sony 24-240mm f/3.5 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Flickr (external link) | https://darrellhornick​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
3Rotor
791 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 14, 2017 12:38 |  #2

I have one but have never used it aside from test shots. I tested it and put it back in its box. I contemplated selling for a long time but got lazy and let it sit.

If you're looking for the FOV of the 10-22, look at the current 16-35's. They are superb.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2017 12:46 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I've one. It's a specialty lens, with limited but useful applications. Panos are one of them.

Rural road (external link)
City Hall (external link)

It can also be used for unconventional perspectives on a number of images, even portraits.

It is, however, NO substitute for a rectilinear ultra-wide angle.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
727 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2017 13:07 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #4

Oh my gosh. You just blew my mind with that Rual Road 360 pano. I consider myself pretty good with 6-12 photos stitched together for a nice pano but holy cow nothing like a 360.

Please, please tell me how or what program does this so seamlessly. These are superb!

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7 III | Sony 24-240mm f/3.5 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Flickr (external link) | https://darrellhornick​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2017 13:13 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

That's Garden Gnome's Pano2VR (external link).

The fisheye gives you the advantage of less shots and better stitching.

Paired with a pano head such as the Nodal Ninja R10 (external link), you can get those panos without much hassle (most of the hassle is removing yourself and your rig and related shadows from a scene).

The city hall pano, for which I did not want to shoot the ground required only 4 shots @ ~12mm. It can be done with three with the fisheye, but, well, what the heck, you're already there. ;)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 14, 2017 13:33 |  #6

It's a fun lens to have, definitely provides a different perspective on things !

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Events-Automotive/2016-Long-Beach-Grand-Prix/i-mLKCX32/0/XL/IMG_0674-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://mikester.smugm​ug.com …Prix/i-mLKCX32/A&lb=1&s=A  (external link)
2016 Long Beach Grand Prix (external link) by mikester (external link) on Smugmug

All New Year, All New Sig !

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2017 16:45 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

They're also useful for circular subjects (church cupolas, aircraft interiors, &c.), where you'd get practically no distortion.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18254674

Savethemoment
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 18, 2017 06:02 |  #8

I have one, it can be lots of fun but it's kind of hard to use it well. Certainly you can easily end up with your own legs and even torso in the shot if you're not quite careful. Also, if the horizon is not dead centre then things can quickly start to look very strange.

These days I only use it when I have plenty of time to seek a good shooting position & experiment a bit, and where the shots aren't critical to me. If I want to be more sure of achieving results I'm happy with, I'll take a conventional lens. Even the 11-24 f4 counts as a 'conventional' lens compared to the 8-15 ;-)a. That gives an extremely wide perspective without being fish-eye; it's also challenging to use well and produces other types of distortion, besides being very expensive.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,156 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Feb 18, 2017 06:56 |  #9

It's a specialty lens, produces distorted images, and is a definite yes if you like that sort of thing.

Disagree with others in the thread. Yes, it will do panos BUT with great distortion. Look at the 360 example. Stop on any given moment. Look at that "image." very distorted on both sides.

As to hard to use, quite the opposite. Because of the focal length, set it on one fstop and shoot all day. On a FF camera, set at 10mm with an aperture of f8 the depth of field is 1.2 feet to infinity. At f11 the DOF is .9 feet to infinity. Less than a foot.

With a fisheye it's all about the distorted look. Below are two examples. If you like the distorted look, it's a go. If you do not, don't get it.

Fisheye - field of flowers (external link)
Fisheye - Hike thru flowers (external link)

Needless to say, on both shots the field of view is basically flat.

Website (external link) |

Savethemoment
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Savethemoment. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2017 14:46 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #10

It's certainly easy to get everything in the frame in focus. Making pleasing images is another matter and much harder.

This lens will allow you to do things no other lens can. In rounded areas like stadiums it can give fantastic results. The distortion looks great in the right situation. It can also look pointless and silly and overdone. Like all wide lenses, it exaggerates the distances between things which are closer to it & those which are further away.

I'm glad I bought mine, even though I rarely use it. I'd say buy one, experiment, enjoy & if you don't think it's worth keeping you can always sell it :-)

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Canonman47
261 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2006

Mar 21, 2017 14:34 |  #11

This was my own xmas-gift to myself this year as I want to become a little more "arty" in my shooting. My only system camera is the 1DmkIV so I can't go full circle yet, but a full frame camera is on my wishlist. But a tilt & shift-lens is even more wanted when I photograph paintings for personal artexhibitions (catalogues). I have so far used it for shots in very confined areas (like small chapel) and I like the results. Also the idea that you get a fisheye and an extreme wide angle lens in one unit was important to me. Remains to test it for scenery shots, but that will come in due time.

Canonman47:cool:
Save the camera and motive, the photographer is already disabled!

MKIV, G1 X, Macro 100mm, 24-105mm, Canon 8-15mm, 70-300mm, Sigma 150-500mm, next: TS-E 24/II

sponsored links

2,970 views & 10 likes for this thread
8-15mm Fisheye
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.