Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Feb 2017 (Saturday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro for flowers?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,860 posts
Gallery: 402 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 19, 2017 14:30 |  #16

photosbytw wrote in post #18278520 (external link)
I also noted that the thread starter has a 50mm lens which an adapter may be used to reverse the lens. I'll leave it to others to explain the technical details. I use old film lens that I still own if for no other reason than to find a use for something old...... :p

Reversing the lens is for greater than 1:1 macro, and not advised for regular flower photography for most people.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
photosbytw
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by photosbytw. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2017 14:49 |  #17

Archibald wrote in post #18278525 (external link)
Reversing the lens is for greater than 1:1 macro, and not advised for regular flower photography for most people.

Sorry, my intent was to disclose possibilities and as I said I'll leave it to others to explain the technical aspects. This is not a rebuke and I haven't taken offense. I certainly have never been accused of being normal and will do what most wouldn't advise just to see what would happen.:twisted:

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,720 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2017 15:44 |  #18

photosbytw wrote in post #18278520 (external link)
I also noted that the thread starter has a 50mm lens which an adapter may be used to reverse the lens. I'll leave it to others to explain the technical details. I use old film lens that I still own if for no other reason than to find a use for something old...... :p

I very strongly discourage reversed AF electronically controlled lenses, particularly since -- unlike 'preset' lenses (from 50 years ago) with mechanical controls -- there is not a convenient way to open diaphram for focus, then quickly and easily stop down the lens for shooting live objects. It might be (pretty inconveniently) workable with totally static subjects.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 19, 2017 16:20 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #19

Thanks Wilt,

As I keep mentioning, I am not very technical. I tend to try and see what happens. When playing with my 50mm's I noticed the diaphrams appeared to be wide open and I've never tried to adjust since I reasoned that it would be useless to try. I focused the old fashion way by moving the camera back and forth. To be clear.......for those reading this post. Follow Wilt's advice........not mine.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw

RWK
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 19, 2017 18:38 |  #20

We don't use the 50mm enough. Look forward to trying it out this spring on the flowers. Thanks for the input. This was several years ago with the XT.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,720 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2017 21:58 |  #21

To be clearer, there can be two definitions of 'reversing'

1. reverse mounting a single lens using a mount-to-filterthread adapter
  2. reverse mounting two lenses in tandem, one is convensionally mounted to the body and the second is reversed and mounted using a filterthread-to-filterthread adapter, to hold the second lens reverse-mounted on the end of the first lens

In the case of #1, there is no diaphram mechanism operated by the body, so the lens itself must have an aperture selecting ring and also a auto/manual switch (open/closed switch) to permit easier focus wide open and then stepped-down shooting.

In the case of #2, the lens mounted conventionally on the body provides the aperture control and the reversed lens is simply an alternative to using the 'close-up filter'; the second lens' diaphram is pointless.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,504 views & 7 likes for this thread
Macro for flowers?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.