Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 11 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shoot Kansas City, Missouri

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Gallery: 560 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2017 22:03 |  #1921

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2894/32941070146_4d1cc2919d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SbTA​vh  (external link) Time Out (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

Canon 6D, 16-35L f/4, 24-105L f4, 85 f/1.8

sponsored links
xochi2
616 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2017 22:48 |  #1922

KCmike wrote in post #18277971 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SbTA​vh  (external link) Time Out (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

Of your copious, captivating captures of KC, you got an overt 'Wow' out of me as I was instantly drawn to the beautiful bench tones. I am partial to his one. Well done! 8-)

Xochi2

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2017 16:15 as a reply to  @ xochi2's post |  #1923

Thank you so very much.

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by KCmike.

Feb 20, 2017 20:20 |  #1924

Smithville Lake Sunset

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2803/32209111873_1a8f5b4841_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/R5d7​P4  (external link) Time After Time (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 22, 2017 19:32 |  #1925

English Landing Footbridge

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2804/32905625382_6a29e11dbf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/S8KW​1E  (external link) Discovery (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

dhornick
693 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 23, 2017 10:08 |  #1926

KCmike wrote in post #18282141 (external link)
English Landing Footbridge

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/S8KW​1E  (external link) Discovery (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

Mike, mind if I ask what you do for a living? You seem to have alot of time on your hands, which is good for you and your photography. I also sometimes think of you as Forrest Gump (just keep running Forrest). You are definitely all over, all the time.

I only wished I had that much time. And then when I do, my camera is always at home :-(

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7 III | 24-240mm f/3.5 Flickr (external link)

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2017 16:32 as a reply to  @ dhornick's post |  #1927

I'm a Store Manager of an Office Depot in KC.
Photography is very therapeutic for me. I like to go out about two nights a week for a few hours. My wife and or one of my kids will tag along some of the times which is nice. It's funny because golf use to be a love of mine but after many family vacations I grew to love taking photos. I remember seeing images by a gentleman named Tom Bricker and William McIntosh (look for them on flickr) and I just fell in love with their work. They both had some amazing Disneyland and Disneyworld images. William, Bill, is my favorite landscape photographer. You really need to see his work. Go right now to Flickr and look up William McIntosh. He also has his own website which is fun.
Currently I have been contracted to shoot many locations for both the web and a magazine which makes it even better when you get paid for doing what you have a passion for. I've been very blessed the last few years in becoming a more established photographer.
Honestly though with all that said I'm really just trying to become a better photographer. I really feel I'm fairly weak in many aspects of the whole hobby. It's fun to learn and I really enjoy capturing a special moment.

May I ask what you do for a living to keep you so busy?

My next project is the St Patrick's Day Parade. Until then I have to keep running. :)

Mike

hanstermonster
42 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 23, 2017 20:04 |  #1928

beautiful

dhornick
693 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 24, 2017 08:41 |  #1929

KCmike wrote in post #18282997 (external link)
I'm a Store Manager of an Office Depot in KC.
Photography is very therapeutic for me. I like to go out about two nights a week for a few hours. My wife and or one of my kids will tag along some of the times which is nice. It's funny because golf use to be a love of mine but after many family vacations I grew to love taking photos. I remember seeing images by a gentleman named Tom Bricker and William McIntosh (look for them on flickr) and I just fell in love with their work. They both had some amazing Disneyland and Disneyworld images. William, Bill, is my favorite landscape photographer. You really need to see his work. Go right now to Flickr and look up William McIntosh. He also has his own website which is fun.
Currently I have been contracted to shoot many locations for both the web and a magazine which makes it even better when you get paid for doing what you have a passion for. I've been very blessed the last few years in becoming a more established photographer.
Honestly though with all that said I'm really just trying to become a better photographer. I really feel I'm fairly weak in many aspects of the whole hobby. It's fun to learn and I really enjoy capturing a special moment.

May I ask what you do for a living to keep you so busy?

My next project is the St Patrick's Day Parade. Until then I have to keep running. :)

Mike

Thanks for the info and a huge congratulations on the photography contracts. What a wonderful feeling of making money while you are doing something that you truly love to do.

Me, I work for Union Pacific Railroad and have for 38 years, 39 in June. I've been transferred from Kansas City (home) to Omaha (UP Headquarters) twice now and will finish my career here in 2.5 more years. Not quite sure where we'll go after retirement but it wont be far from the grand kids I'm told. lol

Of those almost 39 years with the UP, I've worked in our Operating department managing and directing some of our facilities and dispatching offices so since our trains and operations run 24/7/365, I just don't have much time to myself. If I get a free moment I try and make it family time.

Because railway workers are not part of Social Security (we have our own retirement program), we can retire with full benefits with 30 years of service and age 60. I'm obviously just waiting to hit the 60 years of age mark then I'm outta here.

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7 III | 24-240mm f/3.5 Flickr (external link)

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by KCmike.

Feb 24, 2017 16:58 as a reply to  @ dhornick's post |  #1930

How many hours do you typically work a week?
I hear you with family time. My kids (3 of them, two of them are boy/girl twins) are now all in college which provides me a little more free time with them at school and working most of the time. They all commute to school which is nice to still have them around. One goes to Avila, one to Park, and one to Missouri Western. We've tried to tell them to not incur any school debt. I'm hoping I won't see grandkids anytime soon. I'm in my mid to late 40's and wish I could stop time right about now. I try to stop by your Omaha thread when I can. It's nice to see images from there as well. We are thinking about coming up to the zoo sometime this spring. I remember going years ago and thinking it was a first class one. We've see San Diego Zoo as well and I though the Henry Doorly Zoo was just as good.

Good luck on retirement. That's wonderful that you can retire at 60. I think I will be working till I fall over.

Mike

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2017 17:04 |  #1931

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3750/32714656130_3c43c722ed_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RQTa​vm  (external link) A Walk by the River (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

dhornick
693 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 25, 2017 19:18 |  #1932

KCmike wrote in post #18284167 (external link)
How many hours do you typically work a week?
I hear you with family time. My kids (3 of them, two of them are boy/girl twins) are now all in college which provides me a little more free time with them at school and working most of the time. They all commute to school which is nice to still have them around. One goes to Avila, one to Park, and one to Missouri Western. We've tried to tell them to not incur any school debt. I'm hoping I won't see grandkids anytime soon. I'm in my mid to late 40's and wish I could stop time right about now. I try to stop by your Omaha thread when I can. It's nice to see images from there as well. We are thinking about coming up to the zoo sometime this spring. I remember going years ago and thinking it was a first class one. We've see San Diego Zoo as well and I though the Henry Doorly Zoo was just as good.

Good luck on retirement. That's wonderful that you can retire at 60. I think I will be working till I fall over.

Mike

Honestly, my hours per week have dropped in the past few years for which I've very thankful. I work about a normal 40 hr work week these days but for the past 25 or 28 years I worked as many as 65 or 70 hour work weeks anytime day or night or combination thereof including holidays, weekends, birthdays, swim meets, dance recitals, etc... Both my girls have graduated collage, one married in KC with our first grand daughter, the other to be married in 28 days in Des Moines.

I can not speak highly enough of the Omaha Zoo. Truly world class and actually mentioned as number 1 in the world in many publications. It's just a fabulous place to visit. If/when you guys come, another suggestion is Fontenelle Forest. Google it. Great walking trails and nature center. Another would be Lauritzen Gardens. All in very close proximity to each other.

Darrell

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,974 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2017 13:08 |  #1933

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2652/32735294260_77ce55cb06_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RSGW​vb  (external link) Understanding (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

xochi2
616 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 26, 2017 17:24 |  #1934

Very wonderful capture, Mike!

Xochi2

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 27, 2017 00:08 |  #1935

Mike, may I ask where this shot was taken?

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

sponsored links

448,207 views & 2,693 likes for this thread
Shoot Kansas City, Missouri
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.