Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 01 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you post photos from PC to Instagram ?

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 23, 2017 15:32 |  #31

LR/Instagram plugin is da bomb. I didn't even sign up for an account before the plugin was working to my satisfaction, it wasn't worth it. Using it has also taught me discipline to take advantage of metadata assignment within LR rather than at the destination. That said, if you hate Lightroom and/or aren't already a regular user it's not worth installing and learning just to post photos.

My one criticism, that square picture format. I refuse to crop or compose just to make things look pretty in Instagram. While not on topic I'm curious how many do pay attention to this.

sponsored links
hanstermonster
41 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 23, 2017 20:16 |  #32

gramblr

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2017 20:29 |  #33

Nethawked wrote in post #18282949 (external link)
LR/Instagram plugin is da bomb. I didn't even sign up for an account before the plugin was working to my satisfaction, it wasn't worth it.

If someone wants to get an Instagram account, but only wants to post about one picture a month on there, would the Lightroom plugin really make much of a difference, inasmuch as time savings and convenience is concerned?

I mean, if I had Instagram I envision myself using it about the same way I use Facebook - one photo every month or two. Maybe not even that much. So I am having difficulty understanding how a plugin would really make that much of a difference. But maybe it would. Any specific explanations about the plugin and how it helps save time would be appreciated.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 23, 2017 21:51 |  #34

for me it works great when I am in the middle of an editing session. So instead of stopping what Im doing and sending to phone and then posting, i can set the IG data and then drop it and go. Never leaving LR so I dont get distracted on my phone as I usually do.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,937 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 1 year ago by Dan Marchant. (3 edits in all)

Feb 24, 2017 00:30 |  #35

Nethawked wrote in post #18282949 (external link)
My one criticism, that square picture format. I refuse to crop or compose just to make things look pretty in Instagram. While not on topic I'm curious how many do pay attention to this.

Instagram removed the square format limitation some months ago. The phone app defaults to square but you can override that. The LR/Instagram plugin for LR defaults to uncropped (though you can pre crop if you want square or apply a crop as part of the publish process.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18283265 (external link)
If someone wants to get an Instagram account, but only wants to post about one picture a month on there, would the Lightroom plugin really make much of a difference, inasmuch as time savings and convenience is concerned?

Any specific explanations about the plugin and how it helps save time would be appreciated.

It is a workflow improvement. Whether that saving is worthwhile for once a month or not only you can decide.

Without the plugin you need to....
1. Export the image as a JPEG (either cropping to square or leaving uncropped)
2. Find a way to transfer it to your mobile phone or tablet (cable connect, airdroid, dropbox or whatever)
3. Go into Instagram on your phone/tab
4. Select the image and then go through the publishing process which includes cropping (or not), applying filters or other edits, adding a caption and #hashtags*, adding a location and a few other bits. - If you don't want to do any of these things you can just hit Next but it is at minimum a three step process to publish an image.

* As the caption and hashtags are only added in the Instagram app they won't be reflected anywhere in your LR catalog. If for whatever reason you later want to repost the image (maybe a re-edit) you will have to find/re-enter that info again.

Also Instagram still doesn't allow you to store commonly used sets of #hashtags so you need to use a separate app to store them and copy them across.

With the plugin
LR/Instagram plugin creates a publish service that sends an image directly to Instagram in a one step process. You don't need to export a JPEG, transfer it to phone then delete the exported JPEG from your HD. The pluging does a temp export for you, publishes to Instagram and then automatically deletes the temp JPEG.

More importantly it adds an Instagram field to the metadata area in LR which allows you to type in a Caption, Hashtags and Geolocation. This info is then stored in your catalog forever. I find it a lot easier to enter hashtags in LR as you can just cut and past wholesale from similar images or, as I do, use a text replace app to enter various presaved hashtag sets.

The plugin also works by creating a Collection (or Smart Collection). This is good because you can easily see which images have been published to the service without having to go to the Instagram app and scroll back through all the images.

I made mine a Smart Collection - while sorting/culling/editin​g images I just add the Keyword "pub2instagram" to an image and it gets added to that collection. When you are ready you just go to the collection and press the Publish button.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 24, 2017 11:36 |  #36

Tom, Dan did a beautiful job of explaining the benefits. The mobile-only policy Instagram adopted isn't friendly to DSLR photographers. For just one image a month it may not be worth it, but if LR is already a part of your workflow then it's absolutely beneficial.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 24, 2017 11:43 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #37

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide such clear, detailed explanation and guidance. Much appreciated.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

4,812 views & 12 likes for this thread
Can you post photos from PC to Instagram ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.