Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 16 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yellowstone / Grand Tetons Trip

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2017 16:33 as a reply to  @ post 18280075 |  #31

TOM -- We've stayed at a lot of Super 8's but never found one at $200/night! In the past, we've done like you and just walked up to the desk and tried to get our best deal, especially in the off-season when they weren't busy. I don't know if September is considered off/peak season or what. We would prefer to have our rooms nailed down before we start our trip. Thanks for the tip about Hillcrest cottages. That sounds like a real possibility. Like you, we don't really see a need to drop $200+ just for a place to sleep and shower. Since I'm traveling with my wife, of course, I want a clean/safe place.

We figured about 7 days for Yellowstone and 2-3 days for Grand Tetons. If we broke that up and stayed at a couple of different places (Gardiner, Cooke City, West Yellowstone, maybe Jackson for Tetons), how would you suggest we break that up? We're very flexible but just are unsure how long it actually takes (how many days to see Tetons, how many days in Gardiner etc).

Thanks for all your help.

John

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 22, 2017 16:59 |  #32

johnohio wrote in post #18281995 (external link)
We figured about 7 days for Yellowstone and 2-3 days for Grand Tetons. If we broke that up and stayed at a couple of different places (Gardiner, Cooke City, West Yellowstone, maybe Jackson for Tetons), how would you suggest we break that up? We're very flexible but just are unsure how long it actually takes (how many days to see Tetons, how many days in Gardiner etc).

Personally, I wouldn't want to break it up very much. Why? Because checking out and checking in, if you do it a lot, can really suck up a lot of your time.

For instance, if you are checking out of Cooke City on a Wednesday morning and checking in at Gardiner that afternoon, it can be difficult because you will need to pack everything up and take it with you when you leave very early in the morning. This can be tough because of the earliness of the hour - getting up and away from the room in time is already hard enough, without also having to pack everything up and check out. Some of us (myself!) don't think straight in the early morning hours, and would inadvertently leave something in the room, or forget to fill up the coffee thermos......I try to keep my early mornings as free and clear as possible.

And you wouldn't want to leave early and then have to come back to the room to pack up and check out, because of all the time it would take to drive all the way back to Cooke City from wherever you happen to be by time mid-morning comes around. Also, you might be on a really good opportunity that you want to stick to for hours, and it would suck to have to pull yourself away from a worthwhile wildlife sighting just to get to a motel to check out in time or to check in in time.

Also, some places discourage late check-ins, and you really wouldn't want to eat up your precious daylight hours by driving into town and checking in to a motel, when you could be out there exploring the park!

But that is only my opinion - there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it. In fact, if you think it would be important to experience each one of the gateway towns by staying in each one for a night or three, then doing that might be well worth the inconvenience of repeatedly checking out and checking in. I can see merit in doing it each way.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TAPlank
81 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by TAPlank.

Feb 22, 2017 18:25 as a reply to  @ post 18281211 |  #33

One bit of advice if hiking in, bear spray... bear spray... bear spray.... Don't hike in without it. In more populated areas, like the geyser trails you are fine 99% of the time. If heading off to capture photos like Tom described above, take bear spray with you. They now rent canisters in the park. Can't emphasize that enough when back in away from everyone.

Small animals... marmots are fun. Their like ground hogs we have on the east coast. Heck, ground hogs may be in the west too, idk.
Pika is a fun little guy to capture too. The like big rocky areas where they run around and nest back in between the rocks. Popular place for them is between Mammoth and Roosevelt Junction at the Hellroaring Trailhead. Dirt road off the main road. You'll see the rock mountain easily. Walk up towards the edge and stand there ready with your camera. They sound like a little dog squeaky toy. Just have to watch for movement. They are small and move fast but you can get photos. Look towards the bottom of the rocks along the grass edge. They can be higher up though as well. Pika do not like warm weather. Warming temps are a threat to their existence.
Pika

IMAGE: http://www.toddplank.com/img/s/v-2/p1221040597-3.jpg

Ermine is another small bugger to try and get photos. I only have a couple crappy photos of them, one posted below. They are in the weasel family. Do a google search on them in relation to the Catholic Pope to see their significance to him. In the winter, they are all white.

This ermine photo was taken along the East Entrance near the lake.
In 2014 I had one run across the road in front of me carrying a mouse or vole. It dropped it on the road as my vehicle was really close to him. In my rearview mirror, I saw it come back out and retrieve it's bounty from where it dropped it on the road

Ermine
IMAGE: http://www.toddplank.com/img/s/v-2/p1221037252-4.jpg

Peregrines hang out along the river cliffs at Tower Falls.
IMAGE: http://www.toddplank.com/img/s6/v148/p1221035023-4.jpg

Foxes are around. Maybe catch one with a ground squirrel.
IMAGE: http://www.toddplank.com/img/s/v-2/p1633775311-3.jpg

So many possibilities to be had.

TAPlank
81 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 22, 2017 18:30 as a reply to  @ TAPlank's post |  #34

Check out Vacation Rental By Owners, VRBO.com.
Most have a minimum stay of 3 nights.
Past few years I have just stayed in Gardiner and traveled from there. I leave before daybreak and don't get back until after dark most days.
If I got down to the Tetons I do an overnight from my home base in Gardiner.

Mel-S
Goldmember
1,181 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mel-S.

Feb 22, 2017 19:13 |  #35

Don't plan your trips during the week of the solar eclipse this year. All the rooms in the area are already taken and not only have they doubled the room rates but they require a 3 day stay. This would apply mainly to West Yellowstone and Jackson, eastern Idaho and Southwest Wyoming.

http://www.space.com …eat-american-eclipse.html (external link)

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2017 15:42 as a reply to  @ post 18280327 |  #36

OROGENY -- Thanks for your comments about Hillcrest Cottages. Is Hayden Valley too far to access while we are in Gardiner? Do you remember how long a drive it was? Thanks for the suggestion about Dunraven Pass and Gardiner Canyon. I had heard Dunraven Pass was good for bears but I don't think I had heard of Gardiner Canyon before. I appreciate your responding and trying to help us.

John

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2017 15:54 as a reply to  @ post 18281022 |  #37

TAPLANK -- Thanks for the info. With as many trips as you've made, we value your opinion. Thanks for all your tips on lodging in the area, along with what to see and where to look for it. As we mentioned in an earlier post to Tom, we are flexible on time about when to go and how long to stay. We were thinking of a day or two around Cooke City and exploring that northeast corner of the park and surrounding areas. Then moving to Gardiner and exploring that corner of the park. Would you suggest doing something like this and then moving either to the center of the park or southern border near the Tetons? Again, we are flexible on time spent in the park and how we break it up. Also, would you suggest going later in September? We chose September thinking that some of the crowds might have cleared out. We could possibly do May/June but worried that lodging would be a bigger problem on short notice. Thoughts?

Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

John

hanstermonster
42 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 23, 2017 20:06 |  #38

beautiful

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 24, 2017 08:13 |  #39

TAPlank wrote in post #18282093 (external link)
Foxes are around. Maybe catch one with a ground squirrel.
QUOTED IMAGE

So many possibilities to be had.

That's the Yellowstone Picnic Area den from Spring of 2013, right?

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

TAPlank
81 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 24, 2017 10:47 |  #40

RikWriter wrote in post #18283651 (external link)
That's the Yellowstone Picnic Area den from Spring of 2013, right?

Couple days for the badger incident. Had left the park when that went down.

TAPlank
81 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by TAPlank.

Feb 24, 2017 11:01 as a reply to  @ johnohio's post |  #41

My first couple of trips we, wife & I, went something like this. Couple nights in Canyon Village, couple nights at Roosevelt Junction, night in Cody, night at Grant Village. It was a pain moving around all the time. I was not into the photography end of things like I am those first 2 trips.

For the most part after that, it has been either staying the whole time in Cooke/Silver Gate or in Gardiner. Wildlife has been my main focus so proximity to Lamar and the northern area of the park is desired. Like I said before, Cooke City is tough to stay at because there are so few places to eat. There is one place, can't think of name, I will not go to. Use to own a sandwich shop and after watching the owner lick mayo off his fingers, then reach into an aujus to pull roast beef out for a customer's sandwich, nope never again. If staying in Cooke, get a place where you can cook is my recommendation.

Gardiner has alot more and that is where I stay now. Can do day trips from there to any part of the park. Ystone roads are a big circle 8, easy to get around it just takes time. Alot to see along the way. For me, it's nothing to leave Gardiner in the morning - drive out to Lamar - and back to Mamouth area before lunch. It all depends on what is happening for wildlife sightings. If something good is happening at a location, you're there all day.

I would move overnight locations if going down to Tetons. That's a half day drive from Gardiner. I plan on being in the Tetons late September this year. Moose rut, owls, foilage, whatever else.

There is lodging in Gardiner that I know of through VRBO. I just reserved the place I am staying at last week. Looking at $125/night for no kitchen.

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 24, 2017 15:09 |  #42

TAPlank wrote in post #18283800 (external link)
Couple days for the badger incident. Had left the park when that went down.

Yeah, so had I. I was there about the same time, I guess.

My pics:

TAPlank
81 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 24, 2017 15:34 |  #43

RikWriter wrote in post #18284061 (external link)
Yeah, so had I. I was there about the same time, I guess.

Yes, I watched you get in the long-ear owls face and the ranger get after you that week.

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 24, 2017 17:55 |  #44

TAPlank wrote in post #18284084 (external link)
Yes, I watched you get in the long-ear owls face and the ranger get after you that week.

No, I don't think you did, since I didn't get into it with a ranger. I did get into it with some guy who tried to set his tripod up in front of me.

My pics:

Orogeny
970 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Feb 26, 2017 09:08 |  #45

johnohio wrote in post #18282957 (external link)
OROGENY -- Thanks for your comments about Hillcrest Cottages. Is Hayden Valley too far to access while we are in Gardiner? Do you remember how long a drive it was?

Understand that everything is far in Yellowstone. If memory serves me, if you drive non-stop over Dunraven, it takes about an hour an a half from Gardiner.

Tim

There's someone in my head, but it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

sponsored links

12,110 views & 78 likes for this thread
Yellowstone / Grand Tetons Trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.