Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 25 Feb 2017 (Saturday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Social Media Platforms

Michael ­ Frymus
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Michael Frymus.

Feb 25, 2017 14:54 |  #1

I was wondering if there is another place that I should be posting my images so that I can reach as many if not more people than on Instagram.
As Instagram is not specifically for photographers, anyone can view your stuff.

I tried Flickr before, but I don't think it would reach to as many people or have the same outcome as not as many people know about it.
There is facebook, but is it worth it? And how, as a brand? I do not want to use my personal account.

Background:

• I have been into photography & videography since approximately 2003.
  • I’ve been interested in photography first but shifted towards filmmaking. I had my own business doing films for other clients. But, I have not done any professional photography work.
  • I now work on lighting feature films & TV shows.

I have recently started a new Instagram account for my photography. Just starting to establish myself.
I love public speaking, and I want to spread a message, so I plan to be doing YouTube videos relating to my area of focus as well;

Area of focus for Instagram / YouTube:

Travel – I have traveled and still travel across the world both for fun, school, and work.
This focuses on living life to the fullest; Giving motivation to people to live life happily ~ What to do, which destinations to visit, simple living, etc.
  • I would incorporate brands/products

Nature – landscapes & wildlife animals.
    This focuses on conservation awareness; I do not travel to big cities but away from civilization to see the nature. While on my travels I discuss the needs of protecting our planets biodiversity; lands and wildlife. But also how to live simply and living green with nature

• Michael Frymus
    Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
    Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
    5,412 posts
    Gallery: 19 photos
    Joined Oct 2011
    Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 26, 2017 20:08 |  #2

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18284882 (external link)
    I was wondering if there is another place that I should be posting my images so that I can reach as many if not more people than on Instagram.
    As Instagram is not specifically for photographers, anyone can view your stuff.

I tried Flickr before, but I don't think it would reach to as many people or have the same outcome as not as many people know about it.
    There is facebook, but is it worth it? And how, as a brand? I do not want to use my personal account.

Image sharing sites like Instagram are great for sharing images but not really for in depth communication. The text that accompanies images is minimal and the level of engagement (beyond simple Likes) is quite low.

Sounds like you need a blog. Facebook would work, as well, as you can type posts and people are used to having conversations. However if you don't use your personal account you have to set up a page and FB is basically rigged to prevent meaningful organic growth so that you will pay to promote your page.

Dan Marchant
    Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
    Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
    Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Michael ­ Frymus
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    67 posts
    Joined Feb 2017

Feb 28, 2017 12:35 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #3

Is it okay to use your personal account?

I have everything set to private (only me) other than when I showcase my work or talk about related stuff.
    In a sense, I CAN use my personal account.

But would it be ideal to use as a blog format?
    Or should I be getting a page?

Michael Frymus

Dan ­ Marchant
    Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
    5,412 posts
    Gallery: 19 photos
    Joined Oct 2011
    Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 28, 2017 22:03 |  #4

There are pros and cons to both. A personal page is better for organic engagement as you can pro-actively friend people and (if they accept) they get to see your posts cropping up in their news feeds. Because they see it they are more likely to engage with it. The problem is that some people won't want a business as a "friend" seeing everything they post.

Business pages work the same way in theory (users Like/Follow the page instead of friending it) but in reality not. A post you make on a business page will not appear in the news feeds of all the people that Like/Follow your page.... or even the majority of them... in fact it will be shown to only a tiny % of them..... unless you pay to boost your post. The days of FB being a free business tool are over, they want you to pay.

It is also a lot harder to get people to Like a page (and thus have the possibility of your future posts being shown to them). Most of them will just Like a post or a picture, which doesn't provide any on-going connection to your page.

On the plus side business pages have tools that give insight into your customer interactions and communications tools (you can add a "Contact" button etc).

Dan Marchant
    Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
    Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
    Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Michael ­ Frymus
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    67 posts
    Joined Feb 2017

Mar 01, 2017 09:56 |  #5

Gotcha.

Insight is nice to have!
    I created a page and linked it to my Instagram so I can see the insight.
    However, I didn't make the page public. So I am only using it for insight on my Instagram feed.

Sticking to a personal facebook seems to be a good option.
    But is it better for blogging vs. a blogging site?

Once again, it would be like the fan page where they wouldn't get notifications (unless subscribed by email) and I would be starting from the beginning trying to gather an audience.
    But, easier to obtain blog if googled. As you cant with facebook.

Michael Frymus

sponsored links
    (this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,357 views & 1 like for this thread
    Best Social Media Platforms
    FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.