Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noise???

Merlin_AZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 27, 2017 21:49 |  #46

Damo77 wrote in post #18287002 (external link)
I can't see anywhere you've mentioned this - what software do you have?

LR and PsCC.

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2017 21:51 |  #47

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #18287323 (external link)
LR and PsCC.

Wonderful! Either of those will do a fair job.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2017 21:52 |  #48

As some other folk have mentioned, noise is worst in dark areas, and this sure does seem like a dark photo. So even though this is a jpeg file, open it in a raw interface (either LR or ACR) and brighten the photo first, before tackling the noise. The brighter view will allow you a better look at the noise.

Damien

Merlin_AZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Merlin_AZ. (2 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2017 21:58 |  #49

@goatruckus: Those shots confirm that it is in fact artifact from Sony processing in camera.
@TeamSpeed: JPG only, no RAW sadly. Can't reshoot. My brother and his family left town the next morning. I never saw the plants coming out of her head until the next day since I was busy setting up the tripod and timer, but it's OK. I cloned them out. ;)
@Damo77. I looked at the recommendations on your site, but I guess I don't understand what the difference cropping first vs. cropping last just before saving the file matters.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.
I think I'll try to do the best I can, short of destroying too much sharpness and quality (if I could use that term with my shots) trying to limit the noise as best as I can. My parents definitely want it on metal and not on canvas, which could mitigate the noise, but oh well.
With their vision at their ages, I don't think they'll notice too much noise anyway printed at 20x30.
We'll see how it goes.
Again, thanks everyone for their time.

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2017 22:03 |  #50

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #18287331 (external link)
@Damo77. I looked at the recommendations on your site, but I guess I don't understand what the difference cropping first vs. cropping last just before saving the file matters.

Cropping is a problem for all sorts of reasons (external link), but they're not pointedly relevant to this thread. Primarily, the problem is that you resized.

Damien

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,569 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2017 22:04 |  #51

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #18287331 (external link)
With their vision at their ages, I don't think they'll notice too much noise anyway printed at 20x30.
We'll see how it goes.

At that size, the noise won't be any problem at all. By that I mean that it will not detract from your parent's enjoyment of the print whatsoever. It really isn't nearly as bad as it seemed to be when we first saw the super-extreme crop of the knee cap.

I think that when you get your 20" by 30" print, you will wonder why you were ever even concerned about the noise at all.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Merlin_AZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Merlin_AZ.

Feb 27, 2017 22:24 |  #52

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18287336 (external link)

At that size, the noise won't be any problem at all. By that I mean that it will not detract from your parent's enjoyment of the print whatsoever. It really isn't nearly as bad as it seemed to be when we first saw the super-extreme crop of the knee cap.

I think that when you get your 20" by 30" print, you will wonder why you were ever even concerned about the noise at all.

It's just that when I saw that unusual noise, it worried me to some extent since ACR couldn't do that much with it. I'm used to seeing the typical grainy stuff, but this was totally different, especially going to 20x30.
goatruckus basically proved it's Sony's JPG engine that's the issue.
I wish I could have gotten it better diffusely lit, shot in RAW, and composed it a little tighter.
All things to continue to learn with.
I really appreciate the comments.

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2017 22:35 |  #53

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #18287354 (external link)
ACR couldn't do that much with it

It couldn't do much with it because you'd resized. It'll handle it ok on the un-resized file, I promise.

Damien

Merlin_AZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2017 06:31 |  #54

Damo77 wrote in post #18287369 (external link)
It couldn't do much with it because you'd resized. It'll handle it ok on the un-resized file, I promise.

Respectfully, I disagree.
I opened up the original file in ACR and tried.

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2017 16:55 |  #55

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #18287569 (external link)
Respectfully, I disagree.
I opened up the original file in ACR and tried.

So did I. May I see yours?

Damien

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,998 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 28, 2017 18:10 |  #56

The unbreakable law in photograph is TANSTAAFL. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Sometimes there was too much liberty taken when the shutter was released to get an excellent picture by any means in post-production.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by DaviSto.

Feb 28, 2017 18:17 |  #57

RDKirk wrote in post #18288217 (external link)
The unbreakable law in photograph is TANSTAAFL. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Sometimes there was too much liberty taken when the shutter was released to get an excellent picture by any means in post-production.

Please explain and/or decode.

P.S. I do get the first bit.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2017 20:55 |  #58

DaviSto wrote in post #18288224 (external link)
Please explain and/or decode.

P.S. I do get the first bit.

Can't fix every bad photo in photoshop.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 01, 2017 06:13 |  #59

Damo77 wrote in post #18288127 (external link)
So did I. May I see yours?

May we see yours with an explanation of how you achieved it.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,439 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Mar 01, 2017 06:44 |  #60

Was the original image in its entirely posted somewhere? If not, then how could anybody other than Merlin open up the original in ACR?

Time to get this out and see what happen... :)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/Miscellaneous-Items/i-bjtBNXX/0/S/popcorn-S.jpg

I took the foot crop (not sure if that is a straight crop, or resized by POTN), and worked on it with the expectation that it would have to be enlarged 40% (Assuming you are cropping out around 10-15% then going with 240dpi at 30")...

I don't have all my plugins and tools here at work, and only had a few minutes to work with it. However, I tried to remove and smooth out the noise with appropriate filters, while keeping the details that matter most still intact. It is difficult to not make this look like more of a painting given the original content. I was also very aggressive as you will see. I figure a 20x30 will be viewed back from a few feet, and that would be fine. Still not happy, I might try working on this at home.

So this is a 140% increase in size over what was originally posted. After and Before... The more telling impacts of these filters would be on the faces, that is where you need to "grade" this effort, and not on articles of clothing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links

8,654 views & 46 likes for this thread
Noise???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.