Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 22:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critiques Welcome

Hodgecl
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 01, 2017 22:14 |  #1

In brief, I am new to this forum and fairly new to photography. I am looking to get better and the only way is for people to critique some of my photos. I am currently using Canon Sl-1 with canon 50mm 1.8 and standard kit lens. Here are some of my recent pictures that I have processed with lightroom.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by saea501.

Mar 02, 2017 08:30 |  #2

Welcome.

Picture one the lighting is flat so there is no dimension to her face and focus is very soft. The closest I see to a focus point might be the spot just in front of the bow, which, by the way, I think is way too big. She is really cute and I really don't think she needs any adornment. As a viewer I would much rather look at her and not have my eye drawn to something proportionally huge and white. Her hard squint also makes it hard to see what I'm sure are really pretty eyes. Select a time of day and positions that enable her to relax and not need to squint at the bright sunlight and hide her eyes.

The little one in picture two....the expression is priceless and his (her) eyes are beautiful. Here again, my attention is drawn to the biggest thing in the picture....the bow. And again, completely unnecessary. That gorgeous face needs nothing added to it....except parental kisses.  :p

I hope you stick around here. There are a huge number of very talented people that can and will help you be a better shooter.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,729 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 02, 2017 08:59 |  #3

You're off to a great start.

I don't find the focus to be too soft in the first photo. Only two things I worry about are: 1) the white balance can be adjusted in LR to be a bit warmer (especially to match the squint, which I like, presumably from a sunny day) and 2) the choice of having the tree behind her as the background.

In the second photo, I do agree that the bow is too big and somewhat distracting. The photo could be half a stop brighter (increase exposure and/or curves in LR) and the whites of her eyes and the blanket whiter (another slight WB adjustment).

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

PhotosGuy
75,755 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 02, 2017 08:59 |  #4

^ ^ What Bob said.
Some links for you: VERY simple "outdoor studio"
There's a step-by-step WB & exposure workflow in post #15.

Baby Photography

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Hodgecl
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 02, 2017 09:11 |  #5

Here are a few more pictures. I dunno how sharp they will look because I saved them to my mobile phone and reposting on here.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2017 16:02 |  #6

Hodgecl wrote in post #18289706 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Hodgecl in
./showthread.php?p=182​89706&i=i60775351
forum: Critique Corner

".........you wanna stick what where?????

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

kid007
189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2017 17:50 |  #7

Good start. I am in the learning path too, so here is my 2c worth:)

1st photo - looks a bit flat and the focusing on the eyes may make it even better. The flatness could potentially be improved through post processing. Agree with previous comment in regards to the bow.. bit big and takes away the attention from her face.

2nd photo - the baby is gorgeous and you have captrured her very well. The bow again takes attention away and it is not needed.

Keep taking photos and there are heaps of professional and talented users here that I am sure will chip in to help you learn further. There are also lots of reading materials and videos available on the net too for baby photography tips and post processing tips.

5D Mark 2, 400D, 24-70 f2.8 L, 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 IS L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, Zeiss 50mm f1.4 T* ZE and 580EX2
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kid007/ (external link)

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 03, 2017 19:20 |  #8

Good feedback already from others, I just wanted to point out in #3 you almost always want to stay at eye level, not shoot looking down at the subject. You're doing well for starting, keep at it while incooperating feedback and you'll see yourself improve :-)

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,275 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 05, 2017 11:32 |  #9

The fur/blue shot is nice. However, you made one basic mistake that is made by virtually every parent taking pictures of their kids: a look-down shot. Get on your knees and take the shot from her level. You'll see how vastly improved this would be. I'm sorry to say that the other new one looks to me like somebody is strangling the kid. ;)

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links

1,701 views & 6 likes for this thread
Critiques Welcome
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.